WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

What are your standards?

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
I'm 16 in high school, I'm getting OK grades, some very good ones, but in my lower classes I'm getting low 70's or mid 70's.. Do you think its unacceptable to get C's and D's, or is passing good enough? I'm constantly worried about getting into college.. But I'm taking a year off before I go if I do go, health experts and teachers are advising everyone take a year off to get out what energy you have, travel and get prepared, then go to college. My dad took a few years off, then went, and he now owns his own company, so I know I'm taking at least a year off. Though my main question is, what are your standards for grades and such?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Holy crap dude, I would've shit myself if I came home with a "C", but school came easy for me. I would have to say though that colleges really look at SAT's and GPA. Most could give a crap and a half less if you are a serial rapist or murderer, as long as you have a high SAT score you're golden.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
I would reccommend taking a year off. I think it would have truly helped me if i had done that. Otherwise, grades unfortunately mean everything. Schools look at SAT's and extracurricular activities, and probably even economical status to some extent, without bothering to look at the person behind the numbers.

Back home, I had a real good friend of mine, nicest kid you could meet, smart as all hell. Just could not perform well on tests. If you asked him to change the oil of a car he could do so without blinking an eye. He could read a social studies book and tell you what battle occured when. He was real good at algebra too. He just couldn't take tests. Of course, he's on ritalin now, so that helps him concentrate.. but guys like that, the schools just look at the low test scores and assume.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Yep, I forgot about the Extra Cirurcsrusrrs or whatever. They look at those too... and when filling out scholarship apps, put down EVERYTHING.... if you walk to school, say you are promoting saving the envrionment and shat like that.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
oh absofuckinlutely.

I was FORCED into a walk-a-thon thing for cancer because i was caught throwing food... i dont know something real bullshit.

but on my application i wrote about this "Charitble" event i did. Ooooh im soooo good to people! :)

breakology

Kiss my Converse
lol @ GPA ... those grades may get you into community college, but I doubt any reputable University will accept you, unless you scored perfect on the SAT er something.
As for the "year off before college" deal, not a good idea ... my sound like a real fun time but school is a habit. Once you stop going it is hard to go back.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
I just burned out on going to school, now I'm a college drop-out making more money than someone who wouldn've graduated with the degree I was goin for. :thumbsup:

breakology

Kiss my Converse
brainwashmonkey said:
I just burned out on going to school, now I'm a college drop-out making more money than someone who wouldn've graduated with the degree I was goin for. :thumbsup:
It's the experience that counts :thumbsup:

Sometime this week I'm supposed to have a meeting with my guidance counselor and vice principal. They think I will not graduate high school if I keep going down the route I am now. First quarter I failed four out of seven classes. I have no standards because I can't please an establishment that I can't respect.

if i came home with a C, i'd be happy... hell, i was happy to just get a passing mark.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Unforgiven said:
if i came home with a C, i'd be happy... hell, i was happy to just get a passing mark.
Thats how I'm thinking.. Passing is good..

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
Lets see, I'm 18 finishing up HS, currently have some B's and a couple C's, but theres always a class failing, I'm going to have to take that class online anyhow. I'm going to take a break for a year or so, and find my own apartment or with a good friend, then I was thinking going to a community college to learn some shit.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
Smoke said:
Lets see, I'm 18 finishing up HS, currently have some B's and a couple C's, but theres always a class failing, I'm going to have to take that class online anyhow. I'm going to take a break for a year or so, and find my own apartment or with a good friend, then I was thinking going to a community college to learn some shit.
Boy... that a bad idea... but you should learn from experience.

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
ChilianFuckFace said:
Boy... that a bad idea... but you should learn from experience.
Whats a bad idea?

I've heard that moving into a house with friends or going to school just to be with them is a bad idea because they can turn on you at any moment. The best advice I've gotten is to always live alone.

Taking a year off? I'll take the next 50 years off...well, maybe not that, but I sure as hell don't feel ready to go to college. I want to spend some time out of the school life, work my current job, go to some shows, maybe eventually live in my own crappy little one bedroom apartment. The whole "school is a habit" thing is bullshit, because if that's the case I broke that habit a long time ago. Or maybe I just never got into it in the first place. To get your motivation for school you have to be in the shitter. And even some people still don't feel that motivation ever.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
TheLampIncident said:
The whole "school is a habit" thing is bullshit, because if that's the case I broke that habit a long time ago. Or maybe I just never got into it in the first place. To get your motivation for school you have to be in the shitter. And even some people still don't feel that motivation ever.
Yea, but before you were'nt shelling out $15,000 a year to go. You might think it's bullshit, but wait till you are out, doing your own thing ... working your job, making a little money, gaining a little independence and self-reliance. that will go on for about a year, then maybe two ... maybe a few more. Now you have to give up a bit of that independence and self-reliance to go back to college, and thats when people start making excuses. My favorite one "I just want to save up a little more money before I start school" but before you know it you are 32 and a night manger at Burger King. Good luck.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
TheLampIncident said:
I've heard that moving into a house with friends or going to school just to be with them is a bad idea because they can turn on you at any moment. The best advice I've gotten is to always live alone.

Taking a year off? I'll take the next 50 years off...well, maybe not that, but I sure as hell don't feel ready to go to college. I want to spend some time out of the school life, work my current job, go to some shows, maybe eventually live in my own crappy little one bedroom apartment. The whole "school is a habit" thing is bullshit, because if that's the case I broke that habit a long time ago. Or maybe I just never got into it in the first place. To get your motivation for school you have to be in the shitter. And even some people still don't feel that motivation ever.
I plan on moving in with my bro, he's got an apartment, we're going to get a bigger one, I'll get a decent job and start looking for oppurtunities to get known with our Movie material and possible band/music stuff.. Don't give me bullshit like "That'll never happen" And of course just by me saying that someone is going to say that.. But thats how everyone starts, they don't have much, until they get recognized.. Some of the most famous people these days did horrible in school, didn't even go or dropped out of college, and had almost nothing to start with..

I'm sorry I said that you sucked before, because I'm basically trying to do the same thing. I'm in no hurry to grow up. I'd rather screw around, work some job with flexible hours, see where my band can go...who knows. It may be the life for me.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
TheLampIncident said:
I'm sorry I said that you sucked before, because I'm basically trying to do the same thing. I'm in no hurry to grow up. I'd rather screw around, work some job with flexible hours, see where my band can go...who knows. It may be the life for me.
I can suck sometimes :p Hah, yeah.. I know what you mean. Thats exactly what I want to do.. I've looked up and down lists of stuff you can go to college for and nothing interests me.. I don't care how long it takes, I'm going to be a successful band someday.. The only thing is, not a lot of people want to do the same thing as me.. I'd have to post flyers or something for auditions..

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
if you're ambitions are for fame, becoming an entrepreneur, or something like that its not necessary for ALL people to get a college ed & be successful. but, if either fail or fade i'd think an advanced degree would be better than a HS ed. no? see it is my theory, people who are particularly creative, talented or gifted in the arts tend to also be smart. the only problem is the only validation is when they make it incredibly huge. the same thing with entrepreneurs- its a high risk gamble.

standards aren't all that important once in a college (might not be of your choice...) you can easily advance yourself by taking CLEP tests. boy do i wish someone told me about them when i started college...could've knocked out almost all of those mandatory freshman classes. ugh, i think its 10 in all you can take. they're equivalency exams and if you pass it, you get to skip the class. rocks! then there are placement tests too...etc.

its a lot to expect of most to choose a career field and commit to it at 17/18.
but you can always do liberal arts, work awhile in a field you think interests you, travel, etc (working and traveling might even earn you some credits towards graduation)

GL on whatever you decide. all of you-