WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines What are your thoughts on Religion?

jamesp

In Memory...
Personally I think that there is no such thing as an uncorrupted bible, meaning that throughout the centuries droves of senile old men have twisted and even downright changed it to say what they want. My view of everything is purely Dogmatic, it doesn't matter what you have faith in, just that you have faith. This thread arises from a convo. with an ex-girlfriend who has recently found Jesus. i was blatantly told that I needed to read the bible, maybe i would learna thing or two. To which I responded, I've read the bible, the testament of jesus christ as of the latter day saints, parts of the dead sea scrolls, and tad bits of the koran. from all this useless reading all that ive learned is that religion itself, well, organized religion is pure hypocrisy and hate. i mean, what has every war since roman times been fought over, religion, or more precisely beliefs. if i may quote from Dogma, people should have ideas, not beliefs, people will kill and die for beliefs.

PS: i can see it coming, this is not a flame area, keep it intellectual!:thumbsup:

Jung

???
Premium
I don't like religion because it separates people. I don't have any problem with spirituality though, although I'm not the least bit spiritaul myself.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
I feel that religion along with anything else needs to be taken in moderation. It is very scary what extreme religions can do. I mean every major cult is based on a extreme religion.
But i feel that for some peole it is a nessisary thing to give hope and to let them feel like there is a greater purpose.

Yes, I agree. I mean most religious people in American Society are poor and work hard. I mean, to me, religion is there if you need it. I don't. But no one should get into fundamentalism if you ask me.

polaris_nine

Banned - What an Asshat!
i wholeheartedly agree with you, but what scares me is all the people that believe in it SO much. whats going to happen when we all find out this stuff is just lies? The zoloft's gonna run out.

Religion to me is like so many other things in this world...a good idea that went horribly wrong. People try to govern everyone else's life by it to decide what is "moral" or "not moral". Wars have been fought in the name of it. Yet nobody seems to know the answer. It's fine to believe what you want about the afterlife, but when you start saying other peoples beliefs are wrong, that's just bad because you don't know the answers either. It doesn't really matter. We'll all find out in the big finish anyway.

chucktheskiffie

Way too hyper...
Its interesting from a scholarly point of view. Th fact that so many people can be whole-heartedly devoted to something they have never seen...

that said, religious friends of mine say they feel it daily... and good for them..

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I've always found the die hard Christian women who also believe in Women's rights to be funny as hell. They believe in creationism which basically says "God created woman as an afterthought as a means to entertain Adam" and then will turn around and throw women's rights at you... pick one and stick with it.

Personally I believe formal religions exist for 1 of 2 reasons:
1. For power... leaders of churches are usually powerful people
2. To legitamize some truly strange fucking behavior... getting bitten by snakes, multiple wives etc...

Looking back in history it's pretty easy to see that the one constant with religion is intolerance. Which is funny when most major religions spout the "Judge not lest you be judged" crap.

Jenkies

The Dude
I believe that since man first existed, he has had an inherrent quest to find what he came from. It is the question everyone asks themselves at least once in their lives, and for most people they rely upon this question daily. Man simply cannot accept that his life is meaningless and that he was not created, it is against logic to him. In early times, people worshipped the sun and stars because it gave them light and heat, and they had no science to see what it actually was. I believe as science evolves, which it is doing rapidly, it is inevitable that more and more things of religion will be proved false. I don't claim to have any answers, and I don't claim to follow any one religion, I believe something is out there that is higher and more complex than us and one day I hope to meet it.

P.S. On a completely different note, I don't believe in a literal interpretation of the Christian bible. If you believe in christianity that is fine, but to me it is silly to believe all of those stories. I believe the intent of those stories is to teach moral lessons, yet some people have deemed them to be true and to have actually happened because they are hardcore christian.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Do you think Bush really believes in religion and god? Like someone said, most religious people are poor and work hard... The elite can then use religion as a mean to calm the rising anger of the proletariat.. Religion is the main reason why monarchy lasted that long even though the people were starving..

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
There is a difference between Spirituality and Religion.

Spirituality is a relationship between you and a greater power.

Religion is a manner for controlling the hearts, minds and wallets of others, by mis-using the idea of a greater power.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
now its in the right thread.

I'm glad more and more people are begining to make the distinction between spirituality and religion. To tell the honest truth...I feel like i'm too in-experienced to make a religion call. I've realized that this may not fly with more christian types (parents included) but I dont think that a question as old as "Is there a God?" can be answered over a PB & J with your buddy after school.
my involuntary movement when the focus turns to religion....*shrug*'

P.S I just spent 20 minutes looking for a :shrug: smiley...somebody hook me up.

voiceofreason said:
There is a difference between Spirituality and Religion.

Spirituality is a relationship between you and a greater power.

Religion is a manner for controlling the hearts, minds and wallets of others, by mis-using the idea of a greater power.
I am sick and tired of blatantly religious people constantly saying they are 'spiritual' as a sad attempt to seperate themselves from the religious label while using a groovy word, like 'spirit'. Just accept the fact that you're religious, and don't try to deny it. And VOR, I am not talking to you on this one. I speak to all religious people.

Who's with me?

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
UberSkippy said:
Personally I believe formal religions exist for 1 of 2 reasons:
1. For power... leaders of churches are usually powerful people
2. To legitamize some truly strange fucking behavior... getting bitten by snakes, multiple wives etc...

Looking back in history it's pretty easy to see that the one constant with religion is intolerance. Which is funny when most major religions spout the "Judge not lest you be judged" crap.
This sums up my feelings on religion pretty damn well. Bravo.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Alliteration said:
Sure He does, just look at squirrels. They're the only animals that are tweaked all the time.
I wouldn´t say God has a sense of humor. He does have a great sense of irony and sarcasm.

Oh but wait.
I´m an atheist.

I consider religion to be ignorance. People can hide all their actions behind some ideologies and not tak responsibility. it is also a great weapon in wrong hands.

Blind sheep.

Nabs

Fresh Meat
swizeguy said:
I feel that religion along with anything else needs to be taken in moderation. It is very scary what extreme religions can do. I mean every major cult is based on a extreme religion.
But i feel that for some peole it is a nessisary thing to give hope and to let them feel like there is a greater purpose.
I totaly agree with u!

And like somebody else said, religion tends to seperate people, or to be more specific, it puts some kind of racism in people, which sucks! :thumbsdn: BIG TIME!

P.S
I'm a newbie, plz be gentle..