WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Music What do you think about all the song remakes lately

haljer

disillusioned
I've noticed several artists doing remakes on old songs. Part of the whole nostalgia theme that seems to be going on in music these days. Here are a few that I've heard lately. If anyone knows of more add them too.

dope -spin me right round

perfect circle- imagine

marilyn manson- tainted love, sweet dreams

Ok I know there are alot more but I can't think of them right now!!!

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
Some suck, some are ok, and some really fuckin blow.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Kinda funny if you ask me... they usually don't end up meaning the same thing they did when they were first released. Kinda kool, kinda not. :thumbsdn:

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
Smoke said:
Some suck, some are ok, and some really fuckin blow.
I'm with Smoke on this one. Some are good (Not a recent one, but GOBs cover of Rolling Stone's Paint it Black is an awesome metal twist on that classic song :thumbsup: )

But then, some artists completely butcher good songs so badly it's unforgivable, like Eminem mutilating Dream On from Aerosmith for whatever that fucking song was.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Didn't someone sample the guitar riff from "Crazy Train" in some hip-hop-or-whatever song?

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
Yup, I recently heard of that... Some rapper remixed Crazy Train... Ugh... I'd like to find whoever did it, and headbutt their face.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Everytime I hear it... the lyrics to Crazy Train are all that I come up with. And it's confusing cause they only use the opening.

VenomHowell

Cynical Piece of Shit
Yeah. If you're going to remix it, at least do it right. Don't just use the opening and change the whole rest of the song. Not that I've heard this remix, or want to, I'm just going by that description you posted.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
hey wait a second,

these "remakes" arent meant to be compared to the original...they are supposed to stand as works in their own right....yes, alot of them do suck, but you cant say "Ugh some rappers version of crazy train" if you're not into rap music, then you're not going to enjoy it. I have no idea what song you're talking about but you have to look at these "remakes" more objectively, rather than holding them to the same light as the original. There are plenty of good ones out there....just dont try to pick them up off of MTV or the radio.

What annoys me the most is when a band releases a cover as their hit single. I mean, who actually listens to Alien Ant Farm? Or Dynamite Hack? It doesn't say much about your band if your best song is a cover.

Tagmatic

Banned - What an Asshat!
any band that professionally covers for other bands or remake their good songs has just lost all of their creativity

creep

skandalous allstar
everyones done tainted love. Its getting pathetic.

Tagmatic

Banned - What an Asshat!
thats so true and not of of the covers project the sone like it is supposed to be

breakology

Kiss my Converse
I'm kinda partial to orgy's remake of "blue monday" ... I like it better than the original :thumbsup:

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Me First and the Gimme Gimme's make some nice covers.. MxPx put out an album of covers that were awesome.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Tagmatic said:
thats so true and not of of the covers project the sone like it is supposed to be
WTF? Was there supposed to be a point in that post?

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
The only thing i personally find wrong with covers, is that they don't give the original artist the respect.. i mean... this girl who i dont partically like turned round to me and said 'Oh do you like that limp bizkit song?' and i go oh 'The Who's song?' and she was like eh? ... (Im talking about 'Behind Blue Eyes') I just would perfer if they did a cover to mention the original artist, who the people who listen to that song for the first time because it just became a cover can experience the first edition of it...

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
Yey for lil john.. YEAHHHH ! :toocool:

creep

skandalous allstar
But some of it is just overdone, or they end up abusing the song.

reel big fish does nice covers too.