Music What do you think about all the song remakes lately

Marlborofiend

Hoodrat
bigck3000 said:
hey wait a second,

these "remakes" arent meant to be compared to the original...they are supposed to stand as works in their own right....yes, alot of them do suck, but you cant say "Ugh some rappers version of crazy train" if you're not into rap music, then you're not going to enjoy it. I have no idea what song you're talking about but you have to look at these "remakes" more objectively, rather than holding them to the same light as the original. There are plenty of good ones out there....just dont try to pick them up off of MTV or the radio.

Dude, I'm not tryin' to sound like an asshole here, but I'll bet I'm going to succeed! Anyone who knows the original is gonna compare a cover to it. And there's no way covers stand as works in their own right! That's :bs: and anyone who knows music knows that. A cover is done for one of two reasons. Either the covering artist has always loved the song and wanted to do they're own recording (which will usually hold true to the original) or the little son-of-a-bitch is tryin' to capitalize off of someone else's song. Unfortunately, it's usually the ladder. I will agree with you, though, that there are some good ones out there and that ya might have to look past the radio and MTV to find them.
Now, one that I have to speak up on here is Shinedown's cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man." Now first let me say that this band is not all that bad, but I didn't like this cover. The acoustic guitar work in the song was awesome, but the lead singer tried way to hard to sing it and pretty much ruined the vocals. But this is where I clash on this song. I have a lot of respect for the guy. He and the band covered the song for the right reason and then I saw them perform it live at The Lunatic Luau out in VA Beach. The vocals were still horrible and the guitar work was still awesome, but what really caught my attention was what he said about Lynyrd Skynyrd and the lead singer of Skynyrd, Ronnie Van Zant. He showed the upmost respect and even said that they wished they could do the song as good as Skynyrd. If we had more artists show that sort of respect towards the person(s) who originally wrote and recorded the songs, then it wouldn't matter so much that they didn't so that good at it.lol It's all about respect man! lol

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
What was that crappy band that covered a Joni Mitchell song a while ago?

That fucking pissed me off. It was a hit... and I'd bet 95% of those kids glued to the (M)TV screen had no idea it was a cover.

I don't watch MTV, but a while ago I was on a car trip with a few kids who did. And guess what? Each one of them was like "LINKIN PARK OMG OMG JAY-Z OMG OMG I <3333 THE BEST MUSIC NO UR MUSIC IS LIKE SUXX STFU".

So, of course, I got out and walked.

Sel

The Nights Mistress
I didn't mind the remake's of It's my life by No Doubt, Sweetdreams by Manson, or Vertigo by U2.

For the most part remakes aren't my cup of tea though there are so many out there sometimes you don't realize it until you hear the older version play while switching around the channels in your Car looking for a good station, or someone older hears it and says hey...didn't so and so used to sing that way back in such and such a year.... I will listen to anything once, as long as it dosen't make my ears bleed and make me want to cut them off in the first 10-20 seconds or less in some cases.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
One good cover is "Ring of Fire", by Social Distortion. It does justice to Cash's original, and it's hard enough to find a cover like that nowadays.

Tiejaz

Owner of n00bZ
Best Remakes

Korn.
Word Up, I am sorry not knowing the original artist, but it rocks.
Another Brick In the Wall, Pink Floyd. Very good cover, true to the song, even has the children singing.