WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

What editor/IDE do you use? And why?

Jung

???
Premium
I recently set out to look for a better editor, because I was tired of the slow load times of Dreamweaver (for code view only) and EditPlus’s quirks. I was looking for a PHP IDE actually; something with auto completion, FTP ability and of course syntax highlighting. I’ve been through tons of editors throughout the years, but never found one I liked all that much. I think I’ve settled on Zend Studio, for PHP at least. I've yet to find a better overal editor than EditPlus though, aside from it's little quirks. (mostly asii crap with the built in FTP client.)

So what is your favorite editor, and why? Post a screenshot if you can; hopefully this will give other people some ideas of what’s out there.

Here is a screenshot of Zend Studio using the debug option; the code is on the left, the output is on the right. Btw, this is a screen scraping script that I didn't write, I'm just using it as an example. (Zend has PHPDoc support built in, which means self documenting code!)

This is my EditPlus set up, which is what I'm using for everythign else.

So what editor do you use, and why? Any suggestions for something that might be better than EditPlus for general use? Some requirements would be syntax highlighting, FTP ability and auto completion of at least HTML tags.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I've been rather fond of GNU Emacs. It's been with me since the late 80s. It's been completely customized and configured to integrate with gcc/make/autoconf/gdb and java/ant. It's like an old reliable faithful.

However on the current project I'm using Eclipse and loving it. It's a great productivity tool. There's so many useful plugins for it.

Both have integrated debugging, compile as you type, refactoring, auto code completion, auto code generation, syntax hilighting, intellisense, hot-swap code replacement, debugging, etc... all the goodness one would expect these days.

Not sure how well Eclipse works with non-Java-related technologies.

jamesp

In Memory...
Dont laugh, but I use Visual Studio 2005. I find that Microsoft is finally getting somewhere with the newer version of VS. If supports a whole assload of cool features, not the least of which is COM(+) which translates into great interoperability between microsoft objects and classes. And seeing as how I usually only program in C#, C, or C++, it handles everything I need of it. However, I am a big fan od the Bloodshed Dev-C++ compiler that utilizes the Mingw compiler system with GCC 3.4.2 and [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]GDB 5.2.1. It has a whole lot of open source features, and plenty of OS user mods.
[/font]
[/font]

Jung

???
Premium
I do like Visual Studio, but I don't do much C/C++/C# work.

jamesp

In Memory...
junglizm said:
I do like Visual Studio, but I don't do much C/C++/C# work.
It also handy for Visual J#, ASP.NET, and SQL dirven apps. I believe it comes with a lite version of SQL Server.

Jung

???
Premium
None of which I really do. :p

I'm not a software engineer; I'm just some guy who knows how to code. Besides, I'm a fag for Python and WxWidgets or TK for GUI stuff. I am interested in ASP.NET with Perl# though, I just haven't had time to play with it yet - and I don't like the idea of running production apps on IIS. (or mono)

MS SQL :thumbsdn: That's almost as bad as MySQL.

jamesp

In Memory...
Actually, these later version of MSSQL have been pretty nice and accomodating, especially with the Enterprise Manager.

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
I installed the "eric" Python IDE, and hate it. I'm still looking fo a better one. So now, good ol' gedit will have to do for all my programming needs.

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Thank you. I apt-got ScITE, and am quite surprised.