WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

What I do for a living.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I make tap water. So, I figured if any of you out there have problems with your water, such as staining in your dishwasher, bitter/nasty coffee, soap scum... inability to wash off soap, and the like, post, and I'll answer (or at least give you some questions to ask the water company). Cause, hey, it's what I do.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
the wick in my air humidifier turns yellow, and becomes crusty.
are these impurities?

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
skullmaster said:
the wick in my air humidifier turns yellow, and becomes crusty.
are these impurities?
Probably not, but could be, if it were from hard water, you'd be getting rings in your tub. I.E. Hard water stains. And if it were due to an abundance of Manganese, you'd have other staining as well, such as on your dishwasher if you have one... Most probably, you pump alot of water through that humidifier, and even the trace amounts of minerals in the water are being deposited onto the filter.

EDIT: Minerals in the water aren't nessecarily a bad thing, they actually give water taste, and keep it from corroding your pipes...

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
GF, that's probably because you haven't yet learned how to stand on two feet yet. This keeps you from being of the height nessecary to turn on a faucet. My suggestion is that you go outside and find a low mounted spigot. But let the water run for a bit before drinking it. Most outside spigots are of the anti-siphon version and have a rather large air gap that can harbor bacteria, which are flushed out when you turn on the water. So to be safe just let it run for a while.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
My master loves the movie "Waterboy", it makes her laugh. I'd almost bet that after she gave you a few beatings with a wet innertube, she'd laugh at you too.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
gehtfuct said:
My master loves the movie "Waterboy", it makes her laugh. I'd almost bet that after she gave you a few beatings with a wet innertube, she'd laugh at you too.
Tsk tsk, there wasn't a question in there.

Easty

Click click boom
BrIONwoshMunky said:
I make tap water. So, I figured if any of you out there have problems with your water, such as staining in your dishwasher, bitter/nasty coffee, soap scum... inability to wash off soap, and the like, post, and I'll answer (or at least give you some questions to ask the water company). Cause, hey, it's what I do.
and i use that water to wash your restaraunt's dishes. hooray for shit jobs!:D

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
BrIONwoshMunky said:
Tsk tsk, there wasn't a question in there.
Even if there was, I'm pretty sure that I didn't answer it.

Ok...how many different types of single celled organisms can you find in a drop of pond water? And in that drop of water, can you compare that life to our own, but on a different scale?

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
BrIONwoshMunky said:
Probably not, but could be, if it were from hard water, you'd be getting rings in your tub. I.E. Hard water stains. And if it were due to an abundance of Manganese, you'd have other staining as well, such as on your dishwasher if you have one... Most probably, you pump alot of water through that humidifier, and even the trace amounts of minerals in the water are being deposited onto the filter.

EDIT: Minerals in the water aren't nessecarily a bad thing, they actually give water taste, and keep it from corroding your pipes...
well i live in the city area, and we get lake michigan water, but our building is really old and our pipes suck. The glasses in the dishwasher do start to ellow after some time though.Is there any way to stop it?

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Well, you can take a sample of your tap water to whoever provides your water and ask them to run thier daily tests on them.

The results you'll want to look for are for the Manganese, Iron, Hardness, and Turbidity, also if they could run Lead and Copper, that would be great too.

The results for the (Mn) Manganese should be below .05 ppm (parts per million), or sometimes expressed as mg/L (miligrams per litre). If it is above that, thier is a chance that you will have staining, it's still safe to drink.

The results for the Iron (Fe) should be below .3 ppm.

Hardness should be anywhere from 80-130 , and is sometimes expressed as mg/L as CaCO3 If your hardness is above that, you'll get calcium deposits, and if it's below that, you'll have soap that's nearly impossible to rinse off.

Turbidity, will be measured in NTU or Nephelometric Turbidy Units, and anything under .3 is nothing to worry about.

Solutions for both of these problems can most oftentimes be found in a home softening and filtration kit.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
BrIONwoshMunky said:
Solutions for both of these problems can most oftentimes be found in a home softening and filtration kit.
...and if you get one, don't be suprised by the slippery showers.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Ha ha, yup... but, if you get a good installer, they should point out that problem. You can solve that problem with simple math, and a bypass line around your softener. A softener takes out ALL hardness in the water... but you need SOME to rinse the soap away, so, by throttling the bypass around your softener, you can acheive the desired hardness of the water. As I stated already, usually somewhere between 80-130... I'd shoot for 80.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
yess......yes....
all these numbers in the water are starting to confuse the hell outta me.
anyways wtf! ill try and do as you say.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Basically, too much manganese will give you stains. Too much Hardness will give you 'hard water stains' and calcium deposits. A softener will take out ALL the hardness, and a really good filter will take out the manganese.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
BrIONwoshMunky said:
Basically, too much manganese will give you stains. Too much Hardness will give you 'hard water stains' and calcium deposits. A softener will take out ALL the hardness, and a really good filter will take out the manganese.
Mr Water Wizzard, does any of this explain the stains and hardness in my underwear?

Okay, can you tell the difference from "hard water" and "soft water" just by touching... like - i think my aunt has "soft water" because i shower at her house sometimes - and I think mine's "hard" :s. And, oh yeah, wtf is the difference - isnt water water... :o

BrIONwoshMunky said:
Turbidity, will be measured in NTU or Nephelometric Turbidy Units, and anything under .3 is nothing to worry about.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been doing what you do for a living? By your answers you seem either very experienced or extremely well trained.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Jessica43999 said:
Okay, can you tell the difference from "hard water" and "soft water" just by touching... like - i think my aunt has "soft water" because i shower at her house sometimes - and I think mine's "hard" :s. And, oh yeah, wtf is the difference - isnt water water... :o
See: Page 1.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
MaxPower said:
Mr Water Wizzard, does any of this explain the stains and hardness in my underwear?
Max, that's due to the inability of the water to be absorbed through your colon. Which I would call a case of colon hardening. I'd suggest an enema. Or a colonic... whichever.