WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

What is FireFox and why is it useful?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Hey computer peeps, I was wondering what this Firefox thingummy everyone is talking about happens to do/be, and why it's soo cool and what not. I'm not computer stupid, just computer ignorant.

Edit: I know google works, but you guys can tell me stuff that would take years to decipher on the whole interwebnethighway.

Jung

???
Premium
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Firefox is an alternative web browser. Imo, it's the best web browser available for Windows. It's secure, fast, and has tabbed browsing, a built in pop up bloacker and an open plug-in (extension) platform.

Jung

???
Premium
Firefox offers an open platform for plug in development; anyone with knowledge of java can create a plug-in. In Firefox plug-ins are called extensions. See this thread for some extensions.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Gotcha, so basically, it'll keep my HD's spyware/popup free and it's highly upgradeable?

Jung

???
Premium
Pretty much. You'll still be at risk for malware that uses javascript installers, but you can set the security levels on that. JS installed malware is also pretty rare, most of it uses ActiveX, which Firefox doesn't support. Firefox also renders all www.w3c.org compliant code, something that IE fails horribly in.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
I also saw you talking about some form of anti-virus program in another thread. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Jung

???
Premium
www.kaspersky.com is the best anti virus app out there, hands down. If you're talking about malware, google for Spybot and Spyware Blaster, also AdAware is pretty good. I use all three and haven't had any malware problems in a few years. I occasionally get one or two objects, but one of the programs finds and removes them.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Is there any advantage to buying the Pro version of Kapersky, and do any retail chains stock it that you know of, or should I just buy it off the net.

Jung

???
Premium
It should list the differences on the site. The net would be the best place imo, you get an instant download.