WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

What is Liberty? **Contest**

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw

1500 Word Essay "What is Liberty?"

Interpretation of the topic and question is your own. The Essay can be less than 1500 words but not more than 1500 words. Must be written in English. There are no Age Restrictions. Submissions will be accepted for two months. The contest will end when all judges have read submissions and a winner has been determined. We are looking for best Essay. The one that sticks out the most, has the most compelling story or evokes the biggest response. When submissions have been narrowed down to the final Five essays, a 1st place winner will receive the grand prize. A Liberty Package!! Second place winner will be awarded a $50 dollar amazon gift certificate. There is no third place winner.

In order for your submission to be considered for the 1st or 2nd place prize, e-mail submissions must contain the following:
First and Last Name
E-mail Address
City
State
Country

Any submission that does not meet the above requirements will be disqualified in the event of a tie between judges. The winners of the contest will be contacted upon declaration of a winner. If there is no response within 10 days to confirm and provide us with a mailing address for prizes, the prizes will be awarded to the second and third place on down the line as required. This contest is not restricted to any country or to any age. Maximum submissions per participant is one. All essays submitted will be used periodically as content for www.libertyforjoe.com. Plagiarism results in automatic disqualification.

Submissions are accepted from the time of this posting until December 31st 2015. Winner will be determined when all submissions have been read and a winner is declared by the judges.

Grand Prize is as follows:

Black Deer Outdoor Hiking Backpack filled with 'On Liberty' by John Stuart Mill, '1984' by George Orwell, 'Propaganda' by Edward Bernays, 'Freedom' by Adam Kokesh, 'Man, Economy, and State' by Murray N. Rothbard, 'Blood of Tyrants' T-shirt size large by Gadsden and Culpeper, HDE Glow in the dark Magnetic Pocket Compass, and a Philadelphia Liberty Bell Replica. (Over 100 dollar value)

Second Place prize is as follows:

$50 Dollar Amazon Gift Certificate.

Link...

=====================

I thought that maybe some of the writers here at WTF would like to enter the contest. Hopefully I get at least one entry from you guys... it would be cool.

TheRover

Mostly_Liquid
I wasnt going to post here but then I got to thinking "what is liberty" more as a question to myself and I have a beginning to my essay...

First and foremost "Liberty" is a word, it is a sound made possible by human vocal chords and one peculiar only to the human animal for in nature there is no such thing as liberty, the beasts are neither blessed with its power or burdened by its necesaty

how in the fuck do you spell neccesaty.. nesesaty.. neccesity

this why I dont write fucking essays, this took me like an hour just for this fucking bullshit.

ib4

Error
Staff
A Liberty Package!!

Contents include:

-Politic-Stay-Away-You-Dick Repellent Spray
-Bullet Proof Vest
-A compass that points to God-Given-Freedom Land
-A Death To Imperialism Light Saber! (That doubles as a two sided, Imperialism-Capitalism death saber. Yes kinda like Darth Maul's)
-1 Race, We are The Same, Body Paint! (Liberty For Joe Exclusive!)
-Collectors Edition: 4 fl oz. Glass bottle of Cambodian Breast Milk
-4 Lucky Strike Cigarettes, no matches or lighter
-Fluorescent Pink digital camouflage backpack ('Hide in plain sight' edition)
-Four very soft unnamed kittens

Value: $28.27 !!!
In all seriousness good luck on the contest. Are you able to share excerpts here from your submissions?

MisterFister

There's a very good chance that I don't care.
'Man, Economy, and State' by Murray N. Rothbard
It's been two years and I'm still trudging my way through it. Essential bath tub reading. It needs to be quiet and you need to be comfortable in order to digest it's brilliance.

Everyone who decides to support any certain candidate ought to force themselves to read Rothbard/Mises/Hayek/Smith etc.

You first must refute Man, Economy and State before you support any man, any economic model or any manifestation of 'state'. I only need three words.

Good. Fucking. Luck.

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
Everyone who decides to support any certain candidate ought to force themselves to read Rothbard/Mises/Hayek/Smith etc.

Ehhhhh, that's only if you accept certain principles out the gate about how the market functions or that the market is even necessary. If you refute the axial assumptions of the Austrian School, then most of these guys don't really have a leg to stand on.

Granted, the Austrian school has been profoundly influential in the development of modern neoliberalism, so being familiar with these guys absolutely helps develop an informed voter, but they're hardly without reproach.

Like, my own personal ideological feelings aside, Rothbard and Mises are windbags, Hayek's alright, and Smith is in a category of his own.

I think it's interesting that you didn't mention guys like Friedman or John Forbes Nash, or any Marxist economists, such as Muhammad Yunus, Richard Wolff, etc. I'm not trying to accuse you of anything. Just thought it was interesting that the list you gave was literally all Austrians outside of Smith.

Last edited:

MisterFister

There's a very good chance that I don't care.
If you refute the axial assumptions of the Austrian School, then most of these guys don't really have a leg to stand on.
That's an awfully large if.

Granted, the Austrian school has been profoundly influential in the development of modern neoliberalism, so being familiar with these guys absolutely helps develop an informed voter
Voting lol.

but they're hardly without reproach.
Rothbard is dead wrong on issues like children. I didn't say he/they are beyond reproach I simply said "good luck".

Rothbard and Mises are windbags
Okay.

or any Marxist economists
Probably because this thread is about liberty. I didn't mention any Marxists because mentioning Marxists in a thread about liberty would be like mentioning motorcycle maintenance in a thread about roofing.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
Please gentlemen... don't be afraid to have the conversation more in depth. I'm certainly not one to restrict the content of my threads.

I have to say that while I don't see eye to eye on everything Farceur believes... he is certainly one of the better debaters... and is cordial if you're not a dick or refuse to read.

I honestly think that the two of you would have a really decent debate.