WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

What the fuck Microsoft?! Server 2003 SP1 Sucks Ass!

Descent

Hella Constipated
I want to know whoever thought it would be "cute" and "funny" to rewrite SP1's driver core is so I can shoot them in between the eyes.

The original non-service packed version of 2K3 handled drivers better than any OS I've ever used in my life - I would say for some things, the new SP1 build is as good as Windows 98SE.

I finally discovered what was causing winlogon.exe to crash - MICROSOFT'S OWN SUCURITY UPDATES. After uninstalling them, the damage had been done, so because this was a fresh install not completed more than two hours ago, I decided to reformat my OS partition again and do a clean sweep.

And that's when my driver hell began all over again.

Much to my horror, even though I installed everything the same way I did with the first install, now my 9700 Pro had no AGP acceleration available under DXDiag. So what do I do? I reinstall ATi's driverset, because I was suspecting that it didn't load it's AGP miniport correctly.

Nothing.

So, I nuke both the ATi drivers and the "virgin" nVidia chipset drivers from my motherboard's CD. I reinstall both.

Still nothing.

By now, I'm pissed - this is how I always reinstall, so what the fuck?! I decide to load on the nV 5.10 drivers - which I know damn well keep 2K3 from booting with their IDE tools loaded. But, I figured they may work this time around.

Wow! They did! I reboot after installing my scanner drivers, and everything was honky dory! I HAVE AGP ACCELERATION! WOOT!

I reboot again just to check - Yep.

They died.

Shit - 2K3 is frozen at the spash screen again! I have to think fast! I know! I press the reset button on my machine, and I see the happy POST screen. I press F8, go into safe mode, and nuke them off the face of the fucking Earth. I then promptly reboot and install the "virgin" drivers again...BYE BYE AGP!

By now, I was this close to just fucking smashing my keyboard id Software style - their pastime in the 90's has become mine for the new millenium as of late. But since this is my only keyboard that I can hook up, I play it cool, and install version 3.x or whatever of the nV drivers, and proceed to have it skip the IDE installation and use the IDE drivers from 1.0.

SUCCESS! Four hours later, I actually have a working Windows install!

But I never, ever, EVER had to go through any of this pre-SP1 - I did it all the same on the older version with no issues. So what the fuck did they do?

BUT - Once you get 'er up and running, she's solid. The bitch is actually getting this to run with everything functional!

And I've really lost A LOT of confidence in M$ as of late. This is a server OS - this is mission critical shit! What's the beef?!

Jung

???
Premium
Lol, I guess running a pirated version of Server 2003 on antiquated desktop hardware wasn't such a good idea after all.

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
Lol, I guess running a pirated version of Server 2003 on antiquated desktop hardware wasn't such a good idea after all.
For you? Because mine is not only legit but is on a relatively high-middle end machine.

Jung

???
Premium
So you actually paid the $999.99 price for 2003 SBS or something? Because, unless you did, you're obviously running a pirated version. And if that's the case, it's no wonder winlogon.exe (among otherthings ) is shitting itself.

I have 8 dev domain servers patched and running perfectly with SP1. I also have 2 production servers happily serving our intranet pages with SP1 installed. It's definitely not an SP1 problem. Fyi, A LOT more testing goes into service packs for Microsoft's server OSes.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
:rotflmao:

They are taking away your Win2k and now WinServer2k3 is fucked up because it's pirated... What will they take away next, your megahertz?

Seriously though, how long do we wait before we get another, "oh shit I fucked up my computer, but it's microsoft's fault" thread?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Fire_ze_Missles said:
:rotflmao:

They are taking away your Win2k and now WinServer2k3 is fucked up because it's pirated... What will they take away next, your megahertz?

Seriously though, how long do we wait before we get another, "oh shit I fucked up my computer, but it's microsoft's fault" thread?
What dude? I got this fucking trial directly from Microsoft themselves! I singed up to download it.

And these driver issues feel...sporadic. It's there one minute, gone the next. It's really, REALLY fucking weird. I install it the same every time, and my disc is mint. But something is pissing it off.

I wish I knew what it was, because it's mind boggling. The CD-R is mint too - strange.

See that screenshot? It's legit. Now take it up your ass people - I know this computer and I know damn well whether I'm having a hardware or software problem. Hence why I stripped the shit hardware out of my system months ago and upgraded the cooling. And I've been running without any problems since - overclocked, on top of that.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
What dude? I got this fucking trial directly from Microsoft themselves! I singed up to download it.
Your 120 day trial has lasted since last year when you first started posting about 2k3? Or do you just keep reinstalling it every 4 months?

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
Your 120 day trial has lasted since last year when you first started posting about 2k3? Or do you just keep reinstalling it every 4 months?
Reinstall, those were different ISO's. They were non non-SP1 iso's, the new ones are service packed.

Besides, I PMed you ages ago with my methodology of doing it, don't botch and bullshit ;). Remember your friend?

Jung

???
Premium
Point being, you have no idea what that crack did to various files.

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
Point being, you have no idea what that crack did to various files.
Actually, this happened BEFORE I cracked it.

Oh shit, we just broke a rule!

And by the way - that crack tells you everything that is being patched. I know.