WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

What to do....

Awkward Silence

Perplexed Bemusement
I've been on holiday for the last 6ish weeks, and i'm getting pissed off cos i havnt actually done anything useful. So, for the last 3 weeks of my holiday, i am going to do something useful, so that i feel i have achieved something.

Problem - I cant think of anything to do. I was thinking of making myself a new wooden bed frame... but i dont need a new bed, and it would cost money. I dont mind spending money, as long as it's not too much.

I thought about learning another programming language... but i cant think of any applications which i need for anything.

Any ideas :question:

Jung

???
Premium
Awkward Silence said:
I thought about learning another programming language... but i cant think of any applications which i need for anything.
What do you already know? Perl is always a good thing to learn, so are WxWidgets/WxWindows, GTK and TK. If you already know a language, learn some frameworks and APIs. Win32 API? .NET?

Find an open source application that you'd like to improve and do it, then submit the code. Write a plug-in for something. Write an application to improve on what you think similar ones lack. Firefox user? Write an extension.

Or, install Linux/BSD/Unix and learn that if you don't already know it.

Jung

???
Premium
jamesp said:
I say go for C#. Its a very flexible and powerful language.
Doesn't Microsoft offer free/trial editions of Visual Studio Basic anymore?

Also, if you're into coding, check out www.scriptlance.com and make a few bucks while curing your boredom.

Edit: That IDE looks pretty decent, but I'm still partial to VS.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
You can get trial editions of most of microsofts programming languages.. Not sure how it is now but before they would let you program and run but not compile to an executable...

making something like a wood bed frame can be good too.. lumber isnt horribly priced mostly only cost you if you dont already have tools... me I need a new computer desk.. but I think im going to wait untill I move and get more room... Tho I do need a new dresser... something with a good amount of storage space but doesnt eat much floor space... perhaps a chiffarobe like item...