WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

What's for dinner today? [2017-]

Scooter

Roll me up and smoke me when I die.
I'm making a pot of chili at 7:00 in the morning using lamb, chili seasoning packets, a small can of tomato sauce, a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, a can of Rotel diced tomatoes with habaneros and a can of Goya chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.

edit: after that was done simmering for a couple hours, I added a can of black beans and a can of dark red kidney beans. Fuck the haters, I want beans in my chili.

I didn't plan on buying any food after work yesterday, so it was kind of on a whim. There was a bone-in lamb leg with a broken cryovac. Normally we'd cut off the shank, cut the leg in half and trim as needed but this leg was a little too far gone. When I opened it up, there was more green than anticipated and a bit of a funky smell. The only way to salvage it was to debone it and cut it up for lamb stew meat. It was still sitting on the shelf when I got off work (despite people asking "do you have lamb?") so I bought it. I usually chop up onions and various peppers for chili but I didn't feel like walking to the other side of the store because it was crowded as fuck.

I wanted to buy a bottle of tequila to celebrate the end of the holidays but the liquor stores were closed. I went to the beer store and bought a case of Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, instead.

Last edited:

TheRover

Mostly_Liquid
I'm making a pot of chili at 7:00 in the morning using lamb, chili seasoning packets, a small can of tomato sauce, a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, a can of Rotel diced tomatoes with habaneros and a can of Goya chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.

edit: after that was done simmering for a couple hours, I added a can of black beans and a can of dark red kidney beans. Fuck the haters, I want beans in my chili.
That's too many beans, I don't eat lamb and I hate chipotle but otherwise good job.

What do you have with the chili?

Jung

???
Premium
Oysters, hot sauce and Lagunita's IPA.

Scooter

This shit is getting chopped and diced and going in the crock pot ...

Along with this chuck roast:

It's a mighty fine piece of angus beef!

Jose Nadala MD

Banned - What an Asshat!
@Scooter I wish I my chucks looked like a prime rib.
All the chuck I get; you would think it's marbling, but really fat and hard-deep wired connective tissue.
I get it from my dad's ranch.

Scooter

@Scooter I wish I my chucks looked like a prime rib.
All the chuck I get; you would think it's marbling, but really fat and hard-deep wired connective tissue.
I get it from my dad's ranch.
If you get it from your dad's ranch, it's probably better. Maybe. Depends on the breed and what they're fed. This was a USDA Choice Angus chuck roast, so it might have a little more marbling than a regular USDA Choice chuck roast. Beef that's graded as USDA Select can be kind of sketchy because it's leaner and I've heard people say it doesn't taste right. I don't know because I don't work with it. I've seen it in other stores and I can recall an occasion where we accidently received a case or three (or five?) of whole USDA Select chucks. I was a n00b at the time, so I was granted with the task of chunking them up and throwing them in the grinder. They looked like shit and they were all squishy and stuff. I wouldn't buy it, that's for sure. Grass-fed beef is another story. It's leaner but still has good flavor. I've tried it and didn't have any problems cooking it but I'm not going to spend any extra money on it.

Center-cut chuck roasts are the best chuck roasts. First-cut chuck roasts from the rib end are good, too. They look ugly but they're good eatin'. That's where Chuck-Eye steaks come from, also known as Poor Man's Delmonico ... or maybe the butcher put them aside to take home for dinner. Once you get into the shoulder end, there's a lot of gristle and sinew. It serves a purpose but it's better off being thrown in the grinder.

Jose Nadala MD

Banned - What an Asshat!
Ah. So there is more than one kind of chuck. All my dad's chuck are just labeled chuck in white paper bundles. I've just learned something. There is a lot of good meat on the shoulder though. I have cut up a cow, but I don't know the names of the meat. I've seen it first hand when my brother got sentimental about putting down a lame cow with black leg and broken legs to just let it go to waste, so we had to butcher that nasty thing like a deer hanging from a tractor loader. The bad leg we threw away because it was oozing with inflammation. I didn't like the taste of the rest of it either.

My dad gets a lot of ground hamburger, but he loves that nasty rubber cement chuck roast, which I now know the name of. Probably gets it from the butcher cheaper that way.

I swear after you cut all the connective crap out of it, this is all the meat in the whole roast.

100_0277.JPG
100_0278.JPG

Last edited:

Gus

Clitpickle
Chicken and salad. I got these new texas toast croutons that are really good.

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
Homemade pizzaa! We usually make a "traditional" which is minced beef, mushrooms (canned),sliced tomato and onion, and then a "fancy" one with mozzarella lumps, chorizo, red onion, fresh mushrooms and sometimes baby spinach leaves

Jose Nadala MD

Banned - What an Asshat!
I just made a Hot Pocket double sandwich.
I just microwaved a hot pocket and put it in between two pieces of bread with lettuce and tomato and cheese and stuff.

ib4

Error
Staff
Chick, brown rice, asparagus. Maui is a month away. Not happy