Where are the philosophers?

Ryan McAury

Investigator
“Human consciousness is a tragic mis-step in evolution, we became too self aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures who should not exist by natural law..

The honourable thing for our species to do would be to deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight, brothers and sisters, opting out of a raw deal”

I totally just made that up on the spot and didn’t copy it word for word from Rust Chole in True Detective.
Well, the funny thing is, we are talking philosophy here. In theory you seem to be right.. See how some react in disgust.
They can't think out of the box.
In practice, The idea of humanity as a wrong concept is overruled by the principle of life itself.
The reason for life is no other than life itself.
It doesn't have other logic than to survive.

I guess philosophy is given to humanity. To be conscious about the own situation is typical for humans, but only 5% of them are in some way aware of that.
The remaining 95% behaves like animals. Killing each other. Not for food, but for greed.

Ryan McAury

Investigator
Yeah, so if you really want to prepare for death, you should buy yourself a cemetery plot, pick out a casket, arrange your funeral, and give up all your worldly possessions. Then, however, you will be homeless, broke, and trying to figure out a way to off yourself so that you do not disappoint the people you invited to your funeral.

I will just sit here in the corner and talk to myself.
Well, if you think of it, it is ridiculous you have to pay for a funeral. But of course, the state comes in and wants your belongings. Always that greed. Even if you are dead. Also the idea that your family has to pay for your death, if you don't. When they are burning you, they get energy they can use. Nobody thinks of that!

BlastemSkyHigh

The Original Fuck You Bomb
Socrates insisted that for a moral person, death was a good thing and should be welcomed.
Suicide was wrong, he added, because men and women are the property of the immortal gods, and as such should not be harmed intentionally because this was an attack on the property of others.
I have always had a spiff about suicide,lost a coupla close ones due to it, maybe because of depression, maybe trying a sex thang,I dunno,
all I do know is that when a person off's themselves, they never seem worry about how the peoples who loved them will feel when they are gone, only on how they feel at the time.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
Socrates insisted that for a moral person, death was a good thing and should be welcomed.
Suicide was wrong, he added, because men and women are the property of the immortal gods, and as such should not be harmed intentionally because this was an attack on the property of others.
I have always had a spiff about suicide,lost a coupla close ones due to it, maybe because of depression, maybe trying a sex thang,I dunno,
all I do know is that when a person off's themselves, they never seem worry about how the peoples who loved them will feel when they are gone, only on how they feel at the time.
Socrates was obviously not opposed to suicide. His soliloquy is possibly one of the most powerful speeches on Liberty I've ever heard.

Suicide is selfish, but the typical western mind gives 'selfish' an inherently negative tone. I mean, obviously someone that takes their own life is not concerned about others. And I'd guess that they feel others aren't terribly concerned with them.

I believe however, that it takes both great desperation and courage.

It's always bothered me how folks take some great pain onto themselves for the actions of someone else. Their suffering is no more, and yet people keep their suffering alive. I also don't go to funerals or memorials for people that do that.

Personally, I've always taken the mindset, that if life is bad enough that you cease wanting to experience it, how much worse could things get? It's been a liberating mindset for me. When you are no longer afraid to die, things just can't be that bad.

That's perhaps, why I like Socrates Soliloquy so much. Though he knew his fate, he took power away from tyrants. He avoided an inevitable spectacle and torture, and gained control over his fate.

This is my favorite reading.