WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Where do all the un-sold cars go?

53V3N

The slow blade penetrates the shield.
Premium
In the past several years, one of the topics covered in detail on these pages has been the surge in such gimmicks designed to disguise lack of demand and end customer sales, used extensively by US automotive manufacturers, better known as "channel stuffing", of which General Motors is particularly guilty and whose inventory at dealer lots just hit a new record high. But did you know that when it comes to flat or declining sales and stagnant end demand, channel stuffing is merely the beginning?

Presenting...

Above is just a few of the thousands upon thousands of unsold cars at Sheerness, United Kingdom. Please do see this on Google Maps....type in Sheerness, United Kingdom. Look to the west coast, below River Thames next to River Medway. Left of A249, Brielle Way.

Houston...We have a problem!...Nobody is buying brand new cars anymore! Well they are, but not on the scale they once were. Millions of brand new unsold cars are just sitting redundant on runways and car parks around the world. There, they stay, slowly deteriorating without being maintained.

Below is an image of a massive car park at Swindon, United Kingdom, with thousands upon thousands of unsold cars just sitting there with not a buyer in sight. The car manufacturers have to buy more and more land just to park their cars as they perpetually roll off the production line.

There is proof that the worlds recession is still biting and wont let go. All around the world there are huge stockpiles of unsold cars and they are being added to every day. They have run out of space to park all of these brand new unsold cars and are having to buy acres and acres of land to store them.

The images on this webpage showing all of these unsold cars are just a very small portion of those around the world. There are literally thousands of these "car parks" rammed full of unsold cars in practically every country on the planet. Just in case you were wondering, these images have not been Photoshopped, they are the real deal!

Its hard to believe that there are so many unsold cars in the world but its true. The worse part is that the amount of unsold cars keeps on getting bigger every day.

It would be fair to say that it is becoming a mechanical epidemic of epic proportions. If anybody from outer space is reading this webpage, we here on Earth have too many cars, why not come and buy a few hundred thousand of them for your own planet! (sorry but this is all I can think of)

Below is shown just a few of the 57,000 cars (and growing) that await delivery from their home in the Port of Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A. With Google Maps look South of Broening Hwy in Dundalk for the massive expanse of space where all these cars are parked up.

The car industry would never sell these cars at massive reductions in their prices to get rid of them, no they still want every buck. If they were to price these cars for a couple of thousand they would sell them. However, nobody would then buy any expensive cars and then they would end up being unsold. Its quite a pickle we have gotten ourselves into.

Source/MOAR Pics (and some hoopla about one of the pics): http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-05-16/where-worlds-unsold-cars-go-die

~

Most of us have likely seen car lots full of new cars. They are NEVER empty. In fact, one could easily make the argument they're too full. And we've see those big, 3-day weekend Sales Events they hold. Again, never shy of cars (even though, theoretically, "EVERYTHING MUST GO!"

I've wondered more than once where all the new cars go.

The article goes a little too "Conspiracy" for me personally after the Update (something about the Nissan track) but really, all those un-sold cars have to go somewhere.

• 1WTF!?
Reactions: BRiT

iAMtheEPICENTER

Postaholic
I have personally never owned a new, fresh off the lot automobile. I go and test drive them, then tell Mr. Fast Talk to give me his "cheap shit" section.

Swah

Meet us @ IRC! Join the channel #wtfcom
Staff
I can't afford a new car. I have this '99 Carisma, which cost me €850, and I'm not too keen on getting rid of it for a while.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
I would imagine that a lot of unsold cars get small updates and other more cosmetic alterations and are resold as new.

• 1Like
Reactions: jujubee

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
All the GM cryers can suck a fat one, I am so sick of hearing all these whiiners croon like they know something, anything about manufacturing, other than the fact it's popular capitalizing to get *anything* new circulating in the wind that-once again-predictably points a finger at badboyGM.haha. Fuck right off and find a new verse.

http://jalopnik.com/that-zero-hedge-article-on-unsold-cars-is-bullshit-1578124255

There is always mainstream fluff designed to ignite a horseshit whirlwind and not that it isn't often steeped in some grain of truth to lend it veracity but people need to dig deeper before they go trying to formulate opinions, nothing like the kneejerk. Not talkin' about you, Ven, sorry but the fact this shit, no doubt will be circulating like the new cool for a minute, it gets so old it should be creaking by now and yet everyone'll lap it up like kittens. Baaa aaaa

• 2Like
Reactions: 53V3N and RebelBuddha

Shanananaaa

Bacon
My car had 17 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. 2012 Nissan Sentra. First brand new car I've ever owned. My husband got a brand new car the same day but it was a clearance of the previous years model, he got a 2011 Buick Lacrosse fully loaded for the price of the 2012 base model. Wish I would have done the same with my Nissan. I end up driving his car more anyway.

Back on topic, the above is craziness. All of those cars just sitting unused...

CoprophagousCop

Social Distancing Warrior
Premium
My rule of thumb is simple: If you cannot afford to pay for a new car with cash, you should not be buying new. :colbert:

Too many people are in debt and car dealers are too greedy.

• 1Agree
Reactions: MadHatterMad

Haresy

Misanthropic Blender
Premium
Not too far from me is an auto parts assembly plant (transmission, I think) which closed in the late 90's. A few weeks ago, the massive parking log was FILLED with current model year Fords - not because they weren't selling, but because there wasn't transport available to get them to their final destinations to be delivered to customers.

Apparently the incredibly harsh winter has trains and other transport companies backed up, so the only way to move inventory - at least, until things get caught up - is to store everything near a rail line, and hire a special transport to come through and pick everything up.

• 1Like
Reactions: jujubee

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
You couldn't pay me to take a new car, everybody knows they're set up only to be serviced by dealerships. I've paid enough cash out to dealerships to last me a lifetime already, very soured on that whole idea. Half the time, I end up having to take it back-again and again for some of the same shit they supposedly fixed last time, it's like fuckin' Cheers up in there, everybody knows my name. And, while they should honor the fact they didn't do shit right last time and not charge you for successive visits, somehow they always find a way to pad the bill with new shit, nice little racket... Who started this thread?..:D

• 1Agree
Reactions: CoprophagousCop

CoprophagousCop

Social Distancing Warrior
Premium
Never have your vehicle serviced at a place that sells them. Car dealerships are crooked. I have had three different dealerships royally mess up my vehicle and charge me a lot of money for doing it. I went to these dealerships because they sold the type of vehicle I have and I figured they should know how to fix them. I think they were just trying to make me so frustrated that I would trade in my vehicle for a newer one. Since I started going to an independent mechanic a few years ago, I have only had to have routine maintenance and my vehicle runs great.

EDIT: No really BRiT, my vehicle does run great and it is 15 years old.

A mechanic at one dealership hammered my distributor in UPSIDE-DOWN so that the pistons were fighting each other! Another mechanic at another dealership replaced an axle (which was unnecessary) with one that was too short to reach the differential! By contrast, the mechanic I have now even lets me watch him work.

Last edited:
  • 1Disagree
  • 1I Call Bullshit!
Reactions: MadHatterMad and BRiT

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
I was working on a ford focus. The job, adjust the throttle cable and replace the air-filter. Know how much it costs to do that on a brand new ford focus? around 1000. In order to replace the air filter you have to buy a replacement air filter box from the manufacturer in order to have the ability to replace the filer itself. Its a closed box system and if you were to break it apart it would kill the integrity of the air filtration system.

The replacement cost of the air filter box... 300 dollars. 300 dollars to change an 11 dollar filter.

The throttle cable assembly... well you can't just buy a new cable because the old one is stretched out... you have to buy the whole system. Only because its a throttle related part, you can't even buy the parts to replace it, you have to pay to have it done.

I also found that the car had a very common problem in the throttle body where the valve basically loses seating for the air intake... and it can't be replaced, you have to buy a new throttle body.

My conclusion, I think I'll buy any car pre-99 and I'd rather replace the entire motor and drive train than to buy a new car and deal with the systems they have in place now.

My friend has a Newer Nissan Altima with the shiftless transmission. His transmission was 1000 miles away from an un-public recall. They replaced his transmission and not two weeks later he's experiencing transmission problems. His tail pipe covers are just stuck on. Like not screwed on or welded or fastened in any way what-so-ever... they're just jammed on there and one fell off in a car-wash.

My uncle bought a new dodge challenger, it has all the horsepower you could ever want, complete with computer regulating devices to keep you from experiencing that horsepower. It sits in his garage and he almost never drives it... he'd rather drive his 73 vette.

Cars today are designed to cost you money... more so than you bargained and they're designed to be depressing. Learn to mechanic or you're always going to be broke.

• 1Like

ryunp

Keyboard Jockey
Premium
http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/unsoldcars.asp said:
Newly manufactured automobiles are produced according to a schedule based on anticipated demand, and they have to be stored somewhere while awaiting transport to and from ports via truck, ship, or train to dealerships (both within the country of production and abroad). Just because vehicles are temporarily parked en masse for storage purposes doesn't mean they're doomed to remain forever unpurchased and sit outside until they deteriorate and are scrapped while manufacturers continue to churn out more and more new cars. The Avonmouth and Royal Portbury Docks (also known as Bristol Port), a facility shown in many of these photos, handles over 700,000 motor vehicles per year for import, export, and finishing. Given that volume, at any particular time there are likely to be thousands of automobiles parked there waiting to be loaded (or just having been unloaded) and transported to their final points of sale. Or, as Bloomberg observed:

Even the text in the faux "Unsold Cars" article is misleading: According to The Truth About Cars, "Sheerness is one of the leading ports for the importation of cars to the United Kingdom.” The updated photos showing all those cars in the U.K. aren't unsold inventory waiting to be shipped; they are the precise opposite — these are cars in the pipeline that dealers have ordered, not a vast graveyard of autos waiting to rust.
Massing cars could mean potential mass transportation.

I own a 1990 Volvo 240 DL. Being able to repair minor/medium issues is really nice, especially the spacious engine compartment. I did send her in for rear axle bushings and brake line replacements by a reputable Swedish repair shop because I don't really want to deal with it; mostly because it wasn't horrendously expensive.

At some point I will want to upgrade my traveling luxury, but at the moment this baby of mine works great.

Oh and fuck California and it's catalytic converters. I ain't paying $600 to replace a little rattle of broken honeycomb inside that fucker. Suck it Cali.

Last edited:

MadHatterMad

a.k.a. ZoeMonster
Never have your vehicle serviced at a place that sells them. Car dealerships are crooked.

A mechanic at one dealership hammered my distributor in UPSIDE-DOWN so that the pistons were fighting each other! Another mechanic at another dealership replaced an axle (which was unnecessary) with one that was too short to reach the differential! By contrast, the mechanic I have now even lets me watch him work.
1). Your vehicle would not move at all without an axle spindle being driven by the differential. Your rear end would have been trashed beyond belief.

2) You cannot and I mean CANNOT put a fucking distributor in upside down. They are made of composite plastic and would shatter with the blow of a hammer. I also doubt your engine would have started at all.

You're talking out your ass! I call bullshit.

MisterFister

There's a very good chance that I don't care.
Cars today are designed to cost you money.
American made passenger cars are designed and manufactured to a 100,000 mile standard. Yes...it is entirely possible to manufacture components rated to 100,000 miles. From the glue used to secure the Bruno stamped headliner to the quality of the HDPE on the A-Pillars. After 100k neither the Big 3 nor any Tier 1's give a fuck. It's now up to you to navigate the wonderful world of aftermarket.

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
American made passenger cars are designed and manufactured to a 100,000 mile standard. Yes...it is entirely possible to manufacture components rated to 100,000 miles. From the glue used to secure the Bruno stamped headliner to the quality of the HDPE on the A-Pillars. After 100k neither the Big 3 nor any Tier 1's give a fuck. It's now up to you to navigate the wonderful world of aftermarket.
Maybe you should stick to your electrical.

• 1Agree

MisterFister

There's a very good chance that I don't care.
Maybe you should stick to your electrical.
I'm not sure how you can disagree with this. It's common knowledge. Do you think its just by accident that manufacturers use aluminum killed draw quality sheet steel for stock exhaust systems instead of something like 409 or 304 stainless or chromoly? It is the cheapest steel able to be drawn which lasts just about what? Hmmm....100,000 miles. Average starter solenoid life? 100k. Reed switches, gaskets, cables, rust prevention...100k. Before the scary beast of asbestos reared it's head they were even attempting to nail down 100k brake pads.

Born and raised in Detroit, Pumpkinshoes. It's what I do.

• 1Agree
Reactions: BrIONwoshMunky

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
I'm not sure how you can disagree with this. It's common knowledge. Do you think its just by accident that manufacturers use aluminum killed draw quality sheet steel for stock exhaust systems instead of something like 409 or 304 stainless or chromoly? It is the cheapest steel able to be drawn which lasts just about what? Hmmm....100,000 miles. Average starter solenoid life? 100k. Reed switches, gaskets, cables, rust prevention...100k. Before the scary beast of asbestos reared it's head they were even attempting to nail down 100k brake pads.

Born and raised in Detroit, Pumpkinshoes. It's what I do.
"Draw steel" specifically refers to properties which best coincide with or lend themselves to the process of extrusion or forming, the same way copper is conducive to heat/a symbiosis exists. There are more than two kinds of steel for a reason. All metals are used in manufacturing for their specific --specs, like anything else.

Regardless of recent headlining recalls, Japan preceded them with several apologetic and admitted anomalies just a couple of years ago when their cars turned up having a mind to accelerate themselves. So I'm not sure why American anything has to enter into a surface discussion meant to be any kind of genuine about casual manufacturing, when we all use the same processes world wide and no one, at least to my knowledge, has pioneered any groundbreaking miracles in that arena.

SPC, statistical process control, is implemented to adhere to a very tight tolerance, inherently providing for a superior product as per international standards [ISO/ANSI] and governed as tightly by more than a single body of oversight with their hands in everything.

That's not to say we can't take exception. But, since it's what you do, you must have some sense of all this, Doctor Detroit.:D

Last edited: