WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe While the "flatness" of the Earth is a matter of perspective, "time" is a straight up invention.

53V3N

The slow blade penetrates the shield.
Premium
I understand the relationship to movement that we've observed and call "time" but I don't see evidence of time itself.

Centered

Postaholic
"Time" is measured by shadows. The 24 hour "clock" that we adhere to on this planet is obviously something we created as other objects in our own solar system have a different "day".
Time is just the passing of events. If nothing at all happens, does time exist?

53V3N

Premium
Time is just the passing of events. If nothing at all happens, does time exist?
This is my thinking as well. I'll take it a step further (perhaps) and ask, "If light didn't exist (to show us movement and therefore give us the perception of time) would "time" exist?

I say, "No".

And that is the basis of my claim that time is an invention.

3Dradio

Did I ever have another avatar?
Time is simply the 4th dimension to the universe. It is the dimension which exists as a ubiquitous point throughout.

• 1Like
Reactions: CaptinChikin

skroo'd

I don't remember you either.
This is my thinking as well. I'll take it a step further (perhaps) and ask, "If light didn't exist (to show us movement and therefore give us the perception of time) would "time" exist?

I say, "No".

That is like the tree falling in the woods riddle. It does make a sound. If your theory were true, wouldn't blind people have no sense of time? I can speculate a blind person may have a more acute awareness of time because they are not as distracted by or dependent upon seeing motion to gauge its passage.

Finally, entropy would still exist, therefore time would still exist.

• 1Like
Reactions: Loki-In-A-Box

53V3N

Premium
Time is simply the 4th dimension to the universe. It is the dimension which exists as a ubiquitous point throughout.
Time is used to describe the 4th dimension (space-time) but space-time doesn't prove the existence of time.

Movement implies speed which implies time
Just because movement was used to invent time doesn't mean that it exists.

If your theory were true, wouldn't blind people have no sense of time?
You're being too literal. And the answer would be "no" as they have other senses to convey movement besides sight.

Finally, entropy would still exist, therefore time would still exist.
Entropy shows movement to balance. It does nothing to prove that the man made invention of time actually exists.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff

I say, "No".

You can run an experiment at home that will either prove or disprove this hypothesis. Turn out the lights when you sleep and use room darkening shades. In the morning, shut off your alarm and go back to sleep. If you still have a job the next day, then light and time are not mutually exclusive phenomenon.

vistascan

They're out to get me
If there are events, there is perceived time. If there are no events, there is no 'time' as such. Quite simple really.

EvilDadII

"Squeaky" clean
You can run an experiment at home that will either prove or disprove this hypothesis. Turn out the lights when you sleep and use room darkening shades. In the morning, shut off your alarm and go back to sleep. If you still have a job the next day, then light and time are not mutually exclusive phenomenon.
Of course this requires the assumption that the subject in question has a job.

I've located a document that provides what I believe is irrefutable proof of the existence of time.
tvguide.JPG

• 1Like
Reactions: TheVnl865