WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines White House paid commentator to promote law

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
USA TODAY

Seeking to build support among black families for its education reform law, the Bush administration paid a prominent black pundit $240,000 to promote the law on his nationally syndicated television show and to urge other black journalists to do the same.

The campaign, part of an effort to promote No Child Left Behind (NCLB), required commentator Armstrong Williams "to regularly comment on NCLB during the course of his broadcasts," and to interview Education Secretary Rod Paige for TV and radio spots that aired during the show in 2004.

Williams said Thursday he understands that critics could find the arrangement unethical, but "I wanted to do it because it's something I believe in."

The top Democrat on the House Education Committee, Rep. George Miller (news, bio, voting record) of California, called the contract "a very questionable use of taxpayers' money" that is "probably illegal." He said he will ask his Republican counterpart to join him in requesting an investigation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is NOTHING in comparision to what this Administration has perpetrated against the American People.
Illegal - YES
Unethical - YES
Wrong - YES
The Worst thing they have done - NOT EVEN CLOSE

Damn man, didn't waste any time to geht to posting in "the issues".

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
wow... sounds soooo sinister... he got paid by the government to promote something he believed in... don't people get paid for this all the time... ie... grants for environmental work...

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
whos to say that he actually did "believe" in it at first....could be the money talking...but I cant prove it and neither can you. The problem is not that he was paid X amount of dollars for this or that...the problem is that the government is using its power/money to influence the people. They can parade their supporters in congress around all day and not make the people "believe" in what they are proposing, but if they get some "real" people to sing the praises of the NCLB act then it seems more palatable.

dawizard

da quicker F'er upper
They are teaching our children to be mindless laborers.
No individuality
everyone must conform.
Kids who try to buck the system are bad apples.
But no child will be left behind.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DanGeo23 said:
wow... sounds soooo sinister... he got paid by the government to promote something he believed in... don't people get paid for this all the time... ie... grants for environmental work...

I'm sorry, maybe I misunderstood you, were you comparing the United States Government to Greenpeace or the Sierra Club? Even "you" have to know that difference between a Government and an environmental charity. Right?