Who's Tired of Passwords?

TooSmartGuile

Tenderony
I really hate the password systems that tell us how "strong" or "weak" out passwords are. But the absolute worst thing about passwords are those websites that tell you to have at least one capital letter, one number, and one special character. Fuck that shat! I wanna create whatever password I want!! Luckily, this site isn't on my chopping block in terms of password bullshit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
Actually... I'm ok with those security-meters. Passwords need to be complex for today's brute force hacks, and social engineering still exists.
That's why my password is ka34JMj9d$L0.

• 3LOL
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

BudVugger

Jergens
Premium
Actually... I'm ok with those security-meters. Passwords need to be complex for today's brute force hacks, and social engineering still exists.
That's why my password is ka34JMj9d$L0.

No lowercase numbers, you'd be cracked in seconds!

• 4LOL
  • 1Helpful
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Out2Lunch

☠️
I forgot my password to the application that stores all of my passwords.

• 3LOL
  • 2Sad
Reactions: 4 users

CoprophagousCop

Social Distancing Warrior
Premium
My college had a system that would not allow passwords that contained any words that are in the dictionary! Unless you used your license plate number, you would probably have a hard time remembering it. This and being constantly forced to change your password is why most passwords were written on post-it notes that were stuck to the monitor.

Although my college made it difficult to choose passwords, they made it very easy to lock someone else's account. All you needed to know was their user name (which was also their e-mail address and derived from their name) and attempt to log in with the wrong password three times. Ta-da! Their account would be locked and they had to talk to a lab administrator during the proper office hours in order to get back in. :thumbsdn:

• 3Sad
Reactions: 2 users

BeautifulSniper

Lovely and deadly
I hate how website accounts are still tied to email accounts. I just want to be able to make forum accounts and work accounts without tying it to an email account. I hate that places are trying to tie people's accounts to their Facebook accounts and cell phone numbers. People need to learn how to program better website security. All these companies talk about how encryption is important for keeping your information safe, but they mine your data and ask for your cell phone number, email, and social media accounts.

Oh yeah, I also have a hard time remembering new passwords and email names. Maybe because I've been stressed lately, but I've gotten tired of it. Maybe I should just download a free program that remembers everything for me.

• 1Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Motley

Hoodrat
I hate how website accounts are still tied to email accounts. I just want to be able to make forum accounts and work accounts without tying it to an email account. I hate that places are trying to tie people's accounts to their Facebook accounts and cell phone numbers. People need to learn how to program better website security. All these companies talk about how encryption is important for keeping your information safe, but they mine your data and ask for your cell phone number, email, and social media accounts.

Oh yeah, I also have a hard time remembering new passwords and email names. Maybe because I've been stressed lately, but I've gotten tired of it. Maybe I should just download a free program that remembers everything for me.

Yeah, I will admit, i don't think using your phone number is the best way to secure something. That just seems like another way to release more important information in case someone hacks your account or something. There are all sorts of strange holes in the security. An old teacher of mine was lecturing about SQL, and he mentioned how that the input box for where you put information in can give people easy access to data, and the weird part is that it's EASY to fix! It was just one part of the code that would have made a big difference.

MaxPower

Sweep the leg
Staff
My college had a system that would not allow passwords that contained any words that are in the dictionary! Unless you used your license plate number, you would probably have a hard time remembering it. This and being constantly forced to change your password is why most passwords were written on post-it notes that were stuck to the monitor.

Although my college made it difficult to choose passwords, they made it very easy to lock someone else's account. All you needed to know was their user name (which was also their e-mail address and derived from their name) and attempt to log in with the wrong password three times. Ta-da! Their account would be locked and they had to talk to a lab administrator during the proper office hours in order to get back in. :thumbsdn:
I'm always amazed at the level of legacy equipment and techniques used in educational IT systems. It's all about budget and funding. All of the new gear is deployed for high profile research and in publicly visible areas.
For a few years before I moved to the UK I worked as a consultant designing enterprise WiFi, mainly for universities. In that capacity, I got a first hand look at some of the systems they run. It wasn't uncommon for infrastructure equipment to be hand me down gear left over from expired funded academic projects. They'realso not fans of spending money on software when some bean counting admin thinks they can "just write a Pearl script":laugh:.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users