WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Wht is exactly... "Punk".... What's exactly a "Poser"...

yotaka

Clitpickle
Okay, I want to pick some peoples brains here. I want people to tell me a definition of a "punk" and a definition of a "poser". Please tell me 'cause no one seems to agree so I opened up this thread to set the record straight...

Pls reply dammit!!!! :feedback:

anti-movielife

self medicated
haha they're just labels man...punks believe in the cause...i think... and posers are just there for the music haha...but people just throw those words around, they use to have meaning now they're just the latest buzz words...thats the way things go:p

i use to post ona punk forum and there must of been hundreds of threads on this subject...and ya they never got anywhere....

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
WTF

poser

n. A wannabee; not hacker slang, but used among
crackers, phreaks and warez d00dz. Not as negative as lamer or
leech. Probably derives from a similar usage among punk-rockers
and metalheads, putting down those who "talk the talk but don't walk
the walk".
Ok thats out of our dictionary, no wonder people like me can't spell

Punk: Someone who defies authority for legitimate or inflammatory reasons.
Poser: Someone who wants to appear as a contrarian but really doesn't feel that way or will back down at the slightest challenge.

Punks are "an army of identical non-conformists". Posers are attempting to fit in to something due to a lack of self-definition.

Both are losers from the societal perspective. Both have given up. Punks are reactionaries in the here and now. Posers might get somewhere from societal standards but will always be empty. Posers will always be sneered at behind there backs but then who won't be.

Both are lables as said earlier. Posers suck for their lack of conviction. Punks are stupid if they think by being contrarians they will actually make a difference.

Ooh, ooh, ooh where is the spell check just in case someone questions my intillictuellitty.... :cool:

Here's my say on the matter. I don't think that punk is defined by what you wear or what music you listen to. Either way, they're both labels so I try to steer clear of being called either of them.

weevil

Tenderony
I like Apoplectic's definition, but I'm gonna say punk is a lot wider than that. The DIY ethic, especially. Punk isn't limited to reactionary politics, but basically a desire to defy unfair authority and improve social situations for (almost) everybody. Under this definition, NWA would be "punk as fuck."

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
If you roll up on a punk, he'll try and knock you down.

If you roll up on a poser, he'll back down immediately, while talking crap and walking away.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
random_ranter said:
they're all labels that don't mean shit, we are all people
I couldn't agree more, however;

Walk down a Harlem street at 2am and imagine that idea saving yo ass.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
JLXC said:
I couldn't agree more, however;

Walk down a Harlem street at 2am and imagine that idea saving yo ass.
no.. those are thugs... a whole 3rd genre of useless being...

Punk is a fashion statement for the types of retards who shop at Hot Topic and think that just because they listen to all the street punk bands in the world who talk about not conforming to society(but conforming to them instead) and how their dress represents who they truly are. True free thinkers would feel no need to label themselves so shamelessly.

HoneyImHome

sugar-coated cynicism
What Lamp said. My daughter likes Hot Topic because of a few of the things there, but wouldn't go all out with their clothing. She likes some of the t-shirts, and bracelets, jewelry, buttons, etc. People at her school still call her goth. She's NOWHERE near goth (not that I'd have a problem with it). Just because she wears rock t-shirts and her eyeliner, which is brown, shows up very dark because she is naturally pale, very pale actually. It makes her appear gothic but there is nothing she wears that doesn't make her look that way.

She hates it when people call her punk or goth because she hates labels. She hates how now it's "cool" to shop at Hot Topic and no longer wants to for that reason alone. She also tells people she's not a goth and that goths would call her a poser for even trying to say it. Anyway, I'm proud of her because she just wants to be herself and hates the idea of wearing something to look a particular way.

King Goldfish

Banned - What an Asshat!
yotaka said:
Okay, I want to pick some peoples brains here. I want people to tell me a definition of a "punk" and a definition of a "poser". Please tell me 'cause no one seems to agree so I opened up this thread to set the record straight...

Pls reply dammit!!!! :feedback:

Im coming in late on this one.

History of Punk (the popular version) is the Ramones were the first to be dubbed this by a teen magazine back in the early mid 70s. They and many other CBGB bands in NY sort of used the term that was coined by the Magazine and turned it into a new pop culture.

I always thought it was the Clash or The Sex Pistols that started the movement, but they came afterwards.

a poser can be anything. A Poser is just someone who pretends to something he or she really isnt.

Like, If a Teenager from middle class suburbs tries to act like he's from the Ghetto and starts throwing around gang signs and isnt really up to throwing down or getting Shot. That's a Fucking Poser.

If a Kid takes an eraser and rubs it on their arm over the weekend and then goes to school on monday and brags that they cut themselves, Thats a Poser. Even worst, An Emo Poser. Cause they try and act emotional but its for attention and not seeded from real issues.

Thats the best as I can remember of what Punk was. I was a kid during the movement and my best friend went to the last Sex Pistols concert at Winterland.

HoneyImHome said:
What Lamp said. My daughter likes Hot Topic because of a few of the things there, but wouldn't go all out with their clothing. She likes some of the t-shirts, and bracelets, jewelry, buttons, etc. People at her school still call her goth. She's NOWHERE near goth (not that I'd have a problem with it). Just because she wears rock t-shirts and her eyeliner, which is brown, shows up very dark because she is naturally pale, very pale actually. It makes her appear gothic but there is nothing she wears that doesn't make her look that way.

She hates it when people call her punk or goth because she hates labels. She hates how now it's "cool" to shop at Hot Topic and no longer wants to for that reason alone. She also tells people she's not a goth and that goths would call her a poser for even trying to say it. Anyway, I'm proud of her because she just wants to be herself and hates the idea of wearing something to look a particular way.
I consider myself Gothic, I liked Most Goth bands (Especially from the 80s in its earliest form).
But i look nothing like it. I dont want to conform to a style. I know most do it to express the darkness in their life, But i'de rather wear a polo shirt or a hawiaan shirt today then dress up in black and dye my hair black.

I love Joy Division and Echo and Romeo Void and Peter Murphy and all the older stuff that more or less formed the culture. I just dont want to advertise my emotions with a certain "look".

Although I usually dress up in mostly black when I visit some of the older clubs. I havnt visited them in 3 or 4 years though.

random_ranter

Moose Extraordinaire
King Goldfish said:
I consider myself Gothic, I liked Most Goth bands (Especially from the 80s in its earliest form).
But i look nothing like it. I dont want to conform to a style. I know most do it to express the darkness in their life, But i'de rather wear a polo shirt or a hawiaan shirt today then dress up in black and dye my hair black.

Although I usually dress up in mostly black when I visit some of the older clubs. I havnt visited them in 3 or 4 years though.
I hang out with the goths, but I feel like you - I wear little black. Now, though, I have started shopping at Hot Topic and wearing more black, just to piss the rednecks around here off:) :cool:

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Punk: Was into the scene before 1983

Poser: A stupid overused buzzword.

random_ranter said:
I hang out with the goths, but I feel like you - I wear little black. Now, though, I have started shopping at Hot Topic and wearing more black, just to piss the rednecks around here off:) :cool:
Who cares? Most days you can see me wearing all black right down to my socks and I'm not a fucking goth. You try and pin a label on me and I'll bite your face off. There's no need for that shit. You try and pin a label on yourself and I'll laugh in your face. Don't try and conform to anything. Wear black if you want. Shop where you want. Spend as much money on clothes as you like. But don't label yourself. Your life is not a fashion statement and it's pretty sad if you're hollow enough to think it is.

Chad

Banned - What an Asshat!
I am a nothing. I have no label literally, unless you consider funny a label.