WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Why 21?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Why can't you drink in most of the states under 21? Here in Quebec, the drinking age is 18, and we're doing fine :thumbsup:

I'm 20 and I consider myself mature enough to drink. I won't drink until I die intoxicated, I'm not a 15 years old fucktard. I won't take someones car and crash it, or get into fights just for fun cause I'm drunk. I know how to drink, like most 20 year olds up here, yet I couldn't do it in the states. That's really, really... conservative, don't you think ? :thumbsdn:

Speaking of 15 years old fucktards.. At 15 I could buy beer with a fake id. I scanned my student card, changed the numbers with paint, printed it in color and plastified.. Then I'd go to the paki corner store and they'd let me buy beer (even though it was obviously a fake, they didn't give a shit, as long as I had a card saying I'm 18)

anyways.. doesn't it piss you off to have to wait till you're 21? You can buy a gun at 18 right? but you can't buy a beer. that's just silly. :thumbsdn:

bnccoder

Postaholic
It is kinda fucked up, it never stopped me though. There is always someone to buy it for me. That's the good part about hanging out with older people.

Slacker

Postaholic
my mom has whisky liqur ect. layin around in the house and we mix it with coke it never stopped me

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Blame the fundamentalist christians ... it's all their fault :thumbsdn:

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
agreed. i subscribe to the old adage if you're old enough to serve our country, drive a motor vehicle, and (like rage said) get a gun permit...you're damn well old enough to drink liquor.

bnccoder

Postaholic
I like the one tf you can see over the bar and hold your alcohol you can drink. Viva Mexico

It's 18 in most of Canada... if I'm not mistaken, all except BC and Ontario. There, it's 19.

Jung

???
Premium
breakology said:
Blame the fundamentalist christians ... it's all their fault :thumbsdn:
I agree.

I find it funny that in New Orleans the bars can stay open 24/7, but we can't buy liquor on Sundays. :rolleyes:

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
I agree.

I find it funny that in New Orleans the bars can stay open 24/7, but we can't buy liquor on Sundays. :rolleyes:
I'm poking fun at you for that from now on :).

My take? It costs money. Therefore, they are not going to do it. We never spend any money for reform here in the U.S.A. We are rapidly falling behind other first world countries.

RageAgainst said:
Why can't you drink in most of the states under 21? Here in Quebec, the drinking age is 18, and we're doing fine :thumbsup:

I'm 20 and I consider myself mature enough to drink. I won't drink until I die intoxicated, I'm not a 15 years old fucktard. I won't take someones car and crash it, or get into fights just for fun cause I'm drunk. I know how to drink, like most 20 year olds up here, yet I couldn't do it in the states. That's really, really... conservative, don't you think ? :thumbsdn:

Speaking of 15 years old fucktards.. At 15 I could buy beer with a fake id. I scanned my student card, changed the numbers with paint, printed it in color and plastified.. Then I'd go to the paki corner store and they'd let me buy beer (even though it was obviously a fake, they didn't give a shit, as long as I had a card saying I'm 18)

anyways.. doesn't it piss you off to have to wait till you're 21? You can buy a gun at 18 right? but you can't buy a beer. that's just silly. :thumbsdn:
Simple answer: Because the American government is stupid and backwards compared to other countries. Our country was founded by religious extremists. To the US, you're all a bunch of heathens. So we must do the opposite of you and other countries in everything.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I've never considered this but what if the reason is simply to cause the lure effect. "You can't drink!" so of course teens all over the USA get as much booze as possible raising the sales significantly, especially for shitty beer. maybe it's like that simply to raise profits??

JLXC said:
I've never considered this but what if the reason is simply to cause the lure effect. "You can't drink!" so of course teens all over the USA get as much booze as possible raising the sales significantly, especially for shitty beer. maybe it's like that simply to raise profits??
That could be. Scary thought, but I wouldn't put it past capitalists and our government.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
tiger_86 said:
Simple answer: Because the American government is stupid and backwards compared to other countries. Our country was founded by religious extremists. To the US, you're all a bunch of heathens. So we must do the opposite of you and other countries in everything.
My mother was able to buy 3/2 beer when she was 18. The drinking age was lowered in the 60's cause many people were dien at the time in Vitnam. After that, they raised the law, which was pushed by activist, such as mad to be higher. Thinking that their children would be more mature, since they couldn't outlaw drinking.... tried that with prohbition.

Seriously, you need to read some history Tiger for living in the USA you know little about our country and it's history. I find that sad.

_Kitana_ said:
My mother was able to buy 3/2 beer when she was 18. The drinking age was lowered in the 60's cause many people were dien at the time in Vitnam. After that, they raised the law, which was pushed by activist, such as mad to be higher. Thinking that their children would be more mature, since they couldn't outlaw drinking.... tried that with prohbition.

Seriously, you need to read some history Tiger for living in the USA you know little about our country and it's history. I find that sad.
I've read enough history and know about Prohibition. We were taught nothing about them lowering the drinking age during the sixties, so excuse me for not adding that to my list of reasons. Blame my fucking schools not me.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Oddly enough, the drinking age is set by the state legally. I remember when I could bop over to Wyoming and buy beer at 18 where it was 21 in Idaho.

Of course the federal government extorted it to 21 pretty much everywhere by witholding federal highway dollars if the state didn't comply with the 21 rule.

I don't understand it myself. Descent, I'm curious as to what you mean "it'll cost money"? It's not a flame dude. Just clarify what you meant?

Granted for me it's a moot point. I've been buying liquor legally for many eons now.

I dunno why its 21... lol, maybe they think Americans are more prone to doing stupid thnigs that Canadians (and other nationalities :p ) - :happysad: - Just kidding! Anyway, yah its stupid... if you can drive, own a gun, etc... you should be able to drink anything you want!

Jung

???
Premium
I think it's retarded that as a nation we declare 18 year olds legal adults, expect them to hold a job and pay taxes like an adult, and find it perfectly fine to allow them to fight and die for our country, like adults. Yet we don't think they're mature enough to drink like an adult.

bnccoder

Postaholic
junglizm said:
I think it's retarded that as a nation we declare 18 year olds legal adults, expect them to hold a job and pay taxes like an adult, and find it perfectly fine to allow them to fight and die for our country, like adults. Yet we don't think they're mature enough to drink like an adult.
That is the same arguement that they used to get it changed before.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
tiger_86 said:
I've read enough history and know about Prohibition. We were taught nothing about them lowering the drinking age during the sixties, so excuse me for not adding that to my list of reasons. Blame my fucking schools not me.

Well before you speak research things. They never taught me either. I picked up a book and read about it to better understand my country and it's laws. Funny how you talk about properganda and being blinded but you don't take action to further educate yourself?