WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Why do so many of you hate long posts?

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I've noticed when threads go on a few paragraphs people seem to get pissy, and then reply that the thread is too long to read. Why? Some concepts and ideas require a bit of typing to spell out, and I don't mind reading them when they're good. I could see people bitching the post sucked ass, but that it was too long and they couldn't bother to read it? Why bother?

I agree with you. If you're going not bother reading it don't bother posting. There's no point to posting when you didn't really read the topic/story.

Jung

???
Premium
JLXC said:
I've noticed when threads go on a few paragraphs people seem to get pissy, and then reply that the thread is too long to read. Why? Some concepts and ideas require a bit of typing to spell out, and I don't mind reading them when they're good. I could see people bitching the post sucked ass, but that it was too long and they couldn't bother to read it? Why bother?
This really isn't a site that encourages maturaity or intelligence. On other sites, simply posting tl;dr will result in a ban. I'd be willing to bet that most members here are used to forums where the average post is only a few lines, or words.

I usually apporach a thread based on how interesting it is; I'm not going to read a full page of rambling, worthless strings of words or uninteresting garbage.

Aside from that, I think some people are just too stupid to read through more than a paragraph or two.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
im not really sure what this thread is about, i didn't read everything, but i agree long posts are bad ;)

It's not long posts that annoy me.

It's long posts of nonsensical psychobabble that I ignore.

I read the first few lines, maybe the first few paragraphs if it's that long, and, if it interests me, I read the rest.

If it doesn't, I don't read it, nor do I reply. Simple.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
....because most of the members here need an enima and a handfull of ritaline.

The average member is about fifteen. If that doesn't send off a red flag to you, then you're probably close to that age and apply to the above as well.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Hey asshole... :)

I don't mind long posts. I make them all the time :happysad:

Jung

???
Premium
Icarus said:
Hey asshole... :)

I don't mind long posts. I make them all the time :happysad:
You're also an exceptionally good poster for your age. Most 15 year olds on the internet act like complete morons.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
im lazy... unless its a topic that really sparks me....

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
The point wasn't to imply that fifteen year olds are lame. It's an obvious fact that most of the members are close to that age and don't want to be bothered with
r-e-a-d-i-n-g. With so much bandwidth crapping to do; who's got time to geht caught up in an actual event like understanding the topic?

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
I enjoy reading longer posts. It lets me know that the poster knows a good deal about the subject. What I hate is the endless strings of rambling, with no sense of direction. If you want to express your feelings publicly, Think before you post. It's simple. Don't post to bring up your count.
I could easily post upwards of 20 posts a day if I wanted to put no thought into my posts, but I have to think. I can't just post "I agree" or "fuck you" to every post I read. If I don't feel I can contribute to the thread by bringing a new or intresting view, I don't post.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Thanks for the "compliments"... :rofl:

I was just joshing you, Gehtfuct.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Long posts that are formated as one huge ass block of text are hard to read. They ramble on and on. Generally bouncing from one point to the next with no coherent structure and it makes them hard to read.

If I post is going to be long, break it up into paragraphs. You should be able to make a point on a single topic in a paragraph in a few lines. If you have many points to make, you have many paragraphs. It helps the reader to understand what you're saying and also helps create a natural flow to the writing.

Think of it like eating a steak. You don't shove the whole thing in your mouth all at once. You cut that fucker into bite sized chunks that are easier to digest.

lovesmetallica

freaking sweeet
i love your analogy with the steak. that rocked. Then again, going on something that person said about people being an average age of 15, one shouldn't fully expect an essay form post. but they know how to do it, and should. so yeah, paragraphs are awesome.

Shadow_Demon

Lord of Shadows
I have to agree if people are not willing to read the entire post then they should not bother with it at all. and for all you people who while about threads being to long get used to it.

Only time I don't read long posts is if there doesn't seem to be a point to it after while. Its kinda dissappointing to read a long 10 paragraphs of grabage and realize it was for nothing.

Shadow_Demon

Lord of Shadows
yeah it is annoying to read a post that is real long and in the end has no purpose at all in the matter of reading it. But still you have to be willing to deal with it if the thread is one that you were interseted in.

Long posts often have to do with politics, and I can't stand politics.

Shadow_Demon

Lord of Shadows
that is ture but I have seen thread that were long winded and had nothing to do with the horid subject called politics.

anyways all polotics are idiots and should not be given the credit of being talked about.