WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Why do stupid kids not respect the flag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
Ok, I've got to blow some steam on this one.
There ae kids in all my classes, that when we pledge the flag be it during an announcement, during an assemby all that jazz. that they will not stand.
Yes i get that it may interefere with their freedom of religion...ok just don't use the phrase under god... and ok if your a jehovas witness, you can't pledge it b/c it could be seen as a false god. fine don't pledge. but at least stand out of respect, if nothing else. please, there have been stories about vets not letting the flag touch the ground, including the story of a civil war shoulder shot in the chest, arm, and leg, he carried the flag back 6 miles, when he got back all he said was "i didn't let it touch the ground once." If ppl can show that much respect for it you can at least fucking stnad the hell up...no?

WaFfLeS

Banned - What an Asshat!
I understand what you are implying, but religion is religion, the people who stand in the assembly are probably as offended as you are.

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
they could at least stand, it's the polite thing out of respect if nothing else.

WaFfLeS

Banned - What an Asshat!
You could at least sit, its the polite thing to do, to consider their religion.

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
Throw them out of the country. But not standing is blantant disrespect, they also have to freedom to leave. I see the freedom of religion argument, but it was what this country was founded on. If they don't like that part they have the freedom not to say it. Standing and respecting what people beileve or respecting an aspect or ideal of the flag/pledge is not going to piss thier god off. Like George Carlin said, "I can't stand people who take themselves to seriously"

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
WaFfLeS said:
You could at least sit, its the polite thing to do, to consider their religion.

I do consider their religion, they dont have to pledge...jsut plz stand. out of respect if nothing else. After all its their country.

Janglenut

Particinator
The flag doesn't represent their goddamn religion, it represents their COUNTRY. The COUNTRY they were born in. The COUNTRY they live in. Fucking dolts need to stand up and respect their country or get the fuck out.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
my guess is they're just being little punks or goths and want to show that they are anarchists or something..
"we hate the cops"
two minutes later..
"my psp was stolen, call the cops"..

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
void said:
my guess is they're just being little punks or goths and want to show that they are anarchists or something..
"we hate the cops"
two minutes later..
"my psp was stolen, call the cops"..
Hahahahah pretty true, funny, it just pisses me off how they hide behind "they're right to religious freedom" b/c they're stupid punks.

WaFfLeS

Banned - What an Asshat!
That's true...Thye could just think they're cool or bad because they don't have to stand...I hate people who think like that.

I think Janglenut said it best. The flag represents their country, not their religion.

Why wouldn't they want to at least stand? Religion has nothing to do with love for one's country.
The religion cop-out is just fucking pathetic.

Janglenut

Particinator
I'm wishing for someone to come into this thread and try to explain the "my religion doesn't approve" story.

Come enlighten me, I might even listen to little perks about your religion.

Janglenut

Particinator
void said:
or maybe they are crippled? ;)
I still think it's just they think they are something with their misguided beliefs. "Look at me I'm a fucking anarchist who is hooked on atheism!"

"But I live in America..."

I was about ot say, not standing for the flag isn't religion. It's just because they don't want to stand up for some stupid piece of cloth. People say "My grandpa died for that flag!" No, they didn't, they died for their COUNTRY.

Janglenut said:
I'm wishing for someone to come into this thread and try to explain the "my religion doesn't approve" story.

Come enlighten me, I might even listen to little perks about your religion.
My religion does not approve, the great Star Trek following says "eat shit and die". /sarcasm
Anyway I do agree that the flag represents the country, not your damn religion.

Janglenut

Particinator
dull_bullet said:
I was about ot say, not standing for the flag isn't religion. It's just because they don't want to stand up for some stupid piece of cloth. People say "My grandpa died for that flag!" No, they didn't, they died for their COUNTRY.

I'm sorry, but is that what America has come to? A bunch of lazy punk ass kids who can't stand up for 20 seconds? Fuck that man, don't bring that bullshit up. You know for a fact what the flag stands for, and if you can't stand up for 20 seconds to respect that leave this country and quit your bitching.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
they are right and wrong not to stand. on the one hand the flag represents our country and hte freedoms of our country and htey have the right not to stand, on the other hand, they aren't even repsecting the thing that represents that freedom. imo i think that they should at least stand if not say the pledge, but some people are insistent upon drawing attention to themselves

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
they're just too young to understand life is a lot easier if you fake compliance..

for my citizenship i have to pledge.. i'm not a christian and i'm not much of a conformist.. but i can stand there with my hand on my heart and say the stuff knowing it achieves my goal and doesn't matter to anyone involved if i'm actually sincere or not.. like when i've been in court and swore on the bible, faking it but at least doing it..
i'm one of those atheists that doesn't want to change how the majority do things, 'under god'? fine.. i don't even notice it.. wherever you live you are subject to the majority's laws, standards, etc.. well, to a point.. *north korea*
only time i have ever told anyone outside of family that i'm atheist and that they need to acknowledge it is in hospital.. i don't want the old women coming around praying for me while i'm trying to look up the nurses skirt.. of course they came anyway as the admin whore was so outraged that she 'forgot' to take note.. oh well, that's nashville..

i would stand for the flag, close my eyes while others pray and generally go with the flow.. who am i to make the rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.