WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Music Why does everyone listen to such shitty music?

I work with a kid I know from school and he brings his iPod to work(the kid comes to work like he's packed for a fucking field trip, cookies in a brown bag and everything, but that's a different story). The problem I have with this is he gets all the songs for his thing on the website of on of the local alternative radio stations and then plays it, so I'm stuck listening to bullshit like Story Of The Year, Sum 41, Sublime, and other such crap. Also, one of the local rap stations is on at work, and in a five hour span, you will hear every song they have twice. A few even three times. If I hear "Right thurr, right thurr" again, I'll snap.

I know some people don't consider what I listen to good(some punk, hardcore, grind/crust, rockabilly/psychobilly, surf, anything unusual that catches my ear), but for shit's sake, it's better than the radio.

the town i grew up had one decent radio station...

i turn it on...

i hear a certain song (most likely "Here without you" by 3 doors down). so i shut it off, saying enough of this bullshit. turn it on half hour later, same song. it's like they have it on repeat or someshit

bigdouth

Surprisingly Stupid
I stopped listening to the radio altogether. I own 500+ CD's and just go through them and listen to only the songs I like. That way I'm my own personal DJ.

fuckyouimright

Fuck You I'm Always Right
People listen to such crap music is cos there is no good music out anymore. What the fuck happen to the music world, and also the radio. Its annoying as hell. I say make your own fucking song and play it 24.7 and see how they fucking feel. :sword:

morelos

lexicon incognito
fuckyouimright said:
What the fuck happen to the music world, and also the radio
you want a serious answer to that?

capitalism.

record labels (a.k.a. PUBLISHING COMPANIES) figured out that it was more cost-effective to hire cheap punk kids with decent skills, tell them to write the same generic shit they're telling everyone else to write, then pay an in-house producer far less money to slam some effects into it and lay it down on a CD. they save about 30% that way by not paying the music artist as much, and eliminating the outside producer and editors.

and so what if all you're hearing are thirty variants of the same "mad-lib" on a particular radio station? kids two years younger than you are growing up expecting exactly that!

the tail really is smarter.

~ dan ~

Thats cause the good stuff ya cant hear on the radio! Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, In Flames, Death, Morbid Angel, all the good death metal bands

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
morelos said:
you want a serious answer to that?

capitalism.

~ dan ~
Unfortunately, the crap that sells IS the crap that sells. Somebody's buying all those Britney Spears albums.

It's you isn't it? I knew it!

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yep.

I would have to agree that there is WAY too much shitty music out there, especially rap...I can only hope that this whole fad of being ghetto and ignorant can go away...

In the meantime though, I have a shitload of pirated metal on my hard drive that will keep me happy.

I listen to a bunch of stuff... i hate RAP!! I hate it with a passion... I want it all to die... but hey that is just me... I like rock, metal, hardcore... and shit like that... I hate EMO! it sucks ass....

morelos

lexicon incognito
now you are going overboard. your taste is your own taste, and nothing more. some emo music is good, and the real deal evolved from folk rock, which was fucking amazing and still is amazing to hear.

i'm glad you acknowledge that your hatred of rap is just your thing ;]

to be truthful, if it weren't at least acceptable to consumers it would not be sold.

~ dan ~

bigdouth

Surprisingly Stupid
I appreciate music and musicians on a whole. I listen to songs of every type, not because of what music catergory it falls under, but because I enjoy the song.

The whole problem is who IS listening to the radio stations ... if people with good taste could just sit through the shitty songs and request some good stuff then the people with shitty taste in music would start realizing how much shit they're listening to. Now the shitty songs just own the stations and the people that like it constantly request it so that same shit gets played until its demise a month later. Show the little fuckheads what good music is and radio will follow.

teh anarchist said:
The whole problem is who IS listening to the radio stations ... if people with good taste could just sit through the shitty songs and request some good stuff then the people with shitty taste in music would start realizing how much shit they're listening to. Now the shitty songs just own the stations and the people that like it constantly request it so that same shit gets played until its demise a month later. Show the little fuckheads what good music is and radio will follow.

Kinda like Saint Anger?

Infected_enigma

I pwn and you know it
TheLampIncident said:
I work with a kid I know from school and he brings his iPod to work(the kid comes to work like he's packed for a fucking field trip, cookies in a brown bag and everything, but that's a different story). The problem I have with this is he gets all the songs for his thing on the website of on of the local alternative radio stations and then plays it, so I'm stuck listening to bullshit like Story Of The Year, Sum 41, Sublime, and other such crap. Also, one of the local rap stations is on at work, and in a five hour span, you will hear every song they have twice. A few even three times. If I hear "Right thurr, right thurr" again, I'll snap.

I know some people don't consider what I listen to good(some punk, hardcore, grind/crust, rockabilly/psychobilly, surf, anything unusual that catches my ear), but for shit's sake, it's better than the radio.

Yes all those bands he listens to truely wish to die and everyone knows that techno is the best and we will all die on and for it

teh anarchist said:
I've thought about that, but you'd be surprised on how many people insist on listening to not only the good shit, but the same bad shit. Or maybe they just like the bad shit on the radio and nothing good. In any case, it means they're stupid.

magnolia

Postaholic
fuckyouimright said:
People listen to such crap music is cos there is no good music out anymore. What the fuck happen to the music world, and also the radio. Its annoying as hell. I say make your own fucking song and play it 24.7 and see how they fucking feel. :sword:
ppl like Britney Spears and Ashley Simpson hit the top or are on their way and that's what happened. Talented ppl don't make it anymore, it's the horrible shit faces that get the record deals. (I personally LOVE Santana and Papa Roach. )

Bullshyt

Devil Without A Cause
I am listening to a great song right now. "So Cold"- Breaking Benjamin. Damn good song!