WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Why I'm Afraid of America

gummi_

Tenderony
I found this article on the Mens Health website, thought it was pretty interesting.

Not here to debate or argue, just thought people might like to have a read and give their opinion, argue between yourselves if you really must :p

Clicky.

R

RedOctober

It perfectly describes how people in Europe think about America.
Not hate, but worry.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
"America's a cranky, muscle-bound teenager who's been busy working out and is in no mood to listen.

The United Nations found that out last year. Give America a clip round the ear and it'll lay you out cold. Try and gate it, and it'll just blow off the hinges before driving a tank into town, chewing up the driveway for effect as it goes."

I love that analogy.

Very interesting read and I find it quite ironic that such an article was in Men's Health.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
At the rate you're going, your empire looks as though it still has a couple of decades to run.
I'm really not sure what to make of that comment, I don't know how much he knows about our country, but I think given the fact that we change leaders at a maximum of every 8 years that our country is going to be fine.

The main reason he seams to fear Americans is because we police the world, but yet he wants a super power that is willing to take this stand?

He seams to think we are suddenly world police because of the Iraq issue, because we took Saddam out of power. I don't agree with some of the action being taken today by the administration, but taking Hussein out of power was something I think was warranted. We should have taken him out of power in Operation Desert Storm, the fact that we didn't have permission from the UN to do this and because we didn't want another Vietnam we left as soon as we could. All of this is kind of funny, that Bush Sr. got permission from the UN to invade, but pulled out, and that Bush Jr. didn't get permission and didn't pull out.

I don't think that our style of government is the best style of government out there, but I do think that Saddam did need to be removed, years ago.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
You know, I'm tired of mamby pamby bullshit like this. Afraid of America? Go fuck yourself you clueless twat. America is the epitomy of disfunctional on a GOOD day. What's to fear? It's like being afraid of a fat man in a wheel chair.

I know that as a country we tend to overstep our bounds. Fucking DEAL. We're the world's busy body. But the minute we STOP interfearing the rest of the world starts bitching that we're not doing enough. When we get involved the rest of the world starts bitching that we're doing TOO MUCH.

No, I think the war in Iraq was bullshit.

Yes, I think the war in Afghanistan was justified.

No, I don't think we should clean up after everyone's fucking mess.

Yes, I think the next time the shit hits the fan we'll get asked to clean up the fucking mess.

Sure, there's a ton wrong with the US. Polution, crime, gangs, drugs, the economy and our unbelievable consumption of world resources. I know it, you know it, and everyone else does too. And yet when something goes wrong everyone comes to us looking for a handout. You want our money, you get our interference too.

very true gummi_

very true gummi_
americans- they scare the shit out of me. damn bastards dont know what the hell they are on about. no offence to all of the americans on here.

gummi_

Tenderony
Wizardly, i seem to have read it in a different light to you.

From what i gathered, the author was implying that America attempts to force its views on peoples and societies which do not have the same ideals, culture, and background history that America does, so in his view 'imposing' the American system and set of beliefs and expecting them to work as they do in America, is a long shot.

But yeah, im glad some people got something out of the article.

lady victoria

Too old for this shit!
Premium
I think you dont know what your talking about (except for uber )and I find it quite humorous that artical was ever written.

While Uber does have a good argument I think Vic doesn't realize (I say this because from her post I am assuming she thinks that the American dream is indeed absolute and good for everyone) that the American Dream is a nightmare for some people. People in Iraq may not want to live like we do, they may have liked it as it was. Who are we to say that our life style and way of governing is better than any other? Look at Cuba, we put Batista there and look how that turned out! That is but one of many examples that people disagree with us and want to live their lives a different way.

I think we need to stop putting puppet dictators and presidents down in Latin America and all other parts of the globe and mind our own damn business. We should only help the world if they ask us for help and if that includes over throwing a fascist such as Saddam then we should do our best to crush the army and let the U.N. handle Saddam and the creation of a new leader.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I thought the article was well thought out, but lacked some punch. He was obviously playing with the kids gloves on, because if you piss of America, it will bomb you. ;)

Seriously though, I agree with the author and I've been an "American" all my life. The absolute certainty that America is right, and everyone else is wrong. That America is the best country in the world and everyone should be like us. That America knows what's best for everyone. It's like the rest of the world never existed except as a backdrop to the BUM BUM BUM BUM Coming of America!! We are the best! Land of the Free and home of the Brave! You don't like it? Shut the fuck up.

America will hopefully evolve, if it lasts much longer. It can't go on with its present course in world politics, that's pretty certain. It just feels like Americans believe they have achieved their goal. They are the best! Everyone wants to be like us! Yet there are so many problems to fix at home, but people love to scream "We're number one!" over you when you start talking about Actually fixing the problems in America.

The crux of the matter is greed. Many Americans operate in the "Me, Me!" mode 24/7. Who cares about anyone else, fuck the world, fuck the enviroment, fuck anything that stands in the way of Me! They allow the rich to become so ungodly powerful, while the poor in this country grow to epic proportions. They all truly believe that THEY will become one of those rich bastards, so they allow the system to continue. I guess it boils down to greed, and the delusion that this is the only way to possibly live.

They only question the government when something literally effects them, right at their house, then they look around and scream "Why is this happening? When did this start? I never saw this coming" while other people watch on, not caring, because it wasn't happening to them personally. I see this too much.

lady victoria

Too old for this shit!
Premium
I Hate The FCC said:
I say this because from her post I am assuming she thinks that the American dream is indeed absolute and good for everyone
Nope I certainly do not.

R

RedOctober

UberSkippy said:
No, I think the war in Iraq was bullshit.
Yes, I think the war in Afghanistan was justified.
No, I don't think we should clean up after everyone's fucking mess.
Yes, I think the next time the shit hits the fan we'll get asked to clean up the fucking mess.
The war in Iraq and Afghanistan are both bullshit.
And indeed you don't have to clean up anyone's mess.
Nobody asked you anyway!
You just pay some puppet in another country to ask for your help, that's the fucking trick you always play!

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
RedOctober said:
The war in Iraq and Afghanistan are both bullshit.
And indeed you don't have to clean up anyone's mess.
Nobody asked you anyway!
You just pay some puppet in another country to ask for your help, that's the fucking trick you always play!
I'm sorry but the war in Afhanistan was justified. We were attacked, their government supported the attack, supported the attackers and generally declared war. They wanted a war and they got it.

You're right, in the past we've done the puppet government and I fail to see us doing anything different. But when we try to remove troops from the UN, or close foreign military bases in Europe, everyone gets pissed because we're not doing our fair share.

So make up your minds. Do you want our help or not? Or are we supposed to only help when we're asked? Or was it just our soldiers and our money you want? Or would you rather we just closed our doors and told the world to fuck off every time something like Bosnia, Croatia or Somalia happens? Because so far I haven't seen Europe doing a bangup job either.

I know the US isn't well liked and for good reasons. But don't point the finger when you're just as guilty. I'm tired of the US being the world's scape goat. We do too much, we don't do enough and it's always OUR fault. Obviously you need us, otherwise you'd have to find someone else to blame when something goes all to hell.

Where was your contry when Sadam took control? I don't recall any other country saying "Whoa... that's not a good idea."

And for the record: I'd rather we stopped interfering as much as you would. I'm tired of my money supporting governments that can't support themselves. I'm tired of my soldiers fighting for governments that can't fight for themselves. Frankly, I think we need to let he world look after itself. Of course that'll never happen because when we do the rest of the world gets all bitchy because we're not involved.

America: The cause of, and solution to, all of the world's problems since 1776!

go u uber

uber is makin the most sense...it is so true...sometimes America HAS to step in the solve the world's problems since it is the most powerful nation in the world (ww1 and ww2) but sometimes it dosent need to and if it does it gets put down and hated by the world...i guess America just needs to know when it should step in and when it shouldn't..

R

RedOctober

UberSkippy said:
I'm sorry but the war in Afhanistan was justified. We were attacked, their government supported the attack, supported the attackers and generally declared war. They wanted a war and they got it.
Bull, those Takiban ragheads were just spreading macho-talk the same way as Americans allways do. "We will destroy America!" Yeah.. On a waterbike or something?
The Americans got on their terrein, and that's what they loved best!
The kicked the Ruskies ass on their own terrain, and before that the British!

You're right, in the past we've done the puppet government and I fail to see us doing anything different. But when we try to remove troops from the UN, or close foreign military bases in Europe, everyone gets pissed because we're not doing our fair share.
That's also bullshit.
Europeans weren't asked if they were in favor of American troops in Europe.
They protested a lot against nuclear weapons, that's for sure.
But nobody shed a tear when the Yankees left!

So make up your minds. Do you want our help or not? Or are we supposed to only help when we're asked? Or was it just our soldiers and our money you want? Or would you rather we just closed our doors and told the world to fuck off every time something like Bosnia, Croatia or Somalia happens? Because so far I haven't seen Europe doing a bangup job either.
I don't know who fucked up the Balkan, but I have a pretty good idea what was behind it. It's smelling anyway! German conservative revanchism and American opportunism.. Together this made a nice diversion disaster in the Balkan.

I know the US isn't well liked and for good reasons. But don't point the finger when you're just as guilty. I'm tired of the US being the world's scape goat. We do too much, we don't do enough and it's always OUR fault. Obviously you need us, otherwise you'd have to find someone else to blame when something goes all to hell.

Where was your country when Sadam took control? I don't recall any other country saying "Whoa... that's not a good idea."
The British and later on the Americans backed the Iraqi's in whatever they did to keep the oil coming!
And for the record: I'd rather we stopped interfering as much as you would. I'm tired of my money supporting governments that can't support themselves. I'm tired of my soldiers fighting for governments that can't fight for themselves. Frankly, I think we need to let he world look after itself. Of course that'll never happen because when we do the rest of the world gets all bitchy because we're not involved.
That's bullshit, America allways invites itself, and otherwise the British will take care of that.
America: The cause of, and solution to, all of the world's problems since 1776!
I shall refrase it...

America and Britain, together the cause of all of the world's problems since 1776, and also the biggest blockade to a solution.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
RedOctober said:
Bull, those Takiban ragheads were just spreading macho-talk the same way as Americans allways do. "We will destroy America!" Yeah.. On a waterbike or something?
The Americans got on their terrein, and that's what they loved best!
The kicked the Ruskies ass on their own terrain, and before that the British!
The Taliban provided monetary support, land to train on, supplies etc.... they were as involved as if they planned and executed it themselves. After the attack, they praised the attackers and provided futher support. You can't say they weren't involved. You may not like the war but then again I suppose you'd rather that we just rolled over and played dead?

RedOctober said:
That's also bullshit.
Europeans weren't asked if they were in favor of American troops in Europe.
They protested a lot against nuclear weapons, that's for sure.
But nobody shed a tear when the Yankees left!
Yeah, and that's why base closures in Germany resulted in massive political fallout because nobody wanted the US troops to leave. They liked the money too much.

RedOctober said:
The British and later on the Americans backed the Iraqi's in whatever they did to keep the oil coming!
Right, and the UN didn't fuck up the oil for food program at all did they? No, no other European countries were involved in the cockup leading up to this newest war. France didn't provide military support to Iraq ever. It was ALL the US and Brittain. And if you believe that I've got some killer ocean front property in Idaho I'll sell cheap. PM me for details.

The war in Iraq is bullshit. It was started for reasons that only Bush knows. I'm not arguing that. I hate the war, I hate Bush. But a LOT of European countries supported Iraq and "lended a helping hand" to get us where we are today.

But then again, The United States is always a good scapegoat for any pissy European to blame anything on.

RedOctober said:
America and Britain, together the cause of all of the world's problems since 1776, and also the biggest blockade to a solution.
Yup, we started the Ethnic Cleansing by Japan in the 1930's, we were the entire cause of WWI and WWII. We created Russia, the Bolshivic revolution was our fault AND Somalia, Bosnia, Croatia, Uganda were all us! You got us. We even created the tension between Pakistan and India all by ourselves.

Why if it weren't for the US the fractured reality of Europe could live peacefully at war until the end of time. And why not? You guys were doing a bangup jobl from around 800 A.D. until around 1945.

Like I said, we'll gladly provide 50% of the combat troops for UN Peace keeping missions, we'll gladly rebuild your country after someone else bombs the shit out of it, we'll gladly pay out money hand over fist... all so you can blaim us for something else.

It's ok Red, you hate the US. And frankly, I can see why. But let me ask you, did you hate us this much before Bush was in office? Or do you really hate what the US has become under the "leadership" of our most estemed monkey? You and I will always agree on at least one thing: George W. Bush was one of the absolute worst things that's ever happened to anyone, anywhere. His presidency alone is a terrific argument for birth control.

hmm..

quite an interesting read you have created gummi_ . It's quite interesting to read people's different views on this topic and how you all feel about it. thats all im going to say, no big, long, entry debating on whether america is right or wrong, scary or not. (last entry was full of crap. hahaha)