WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Why people want to raise the minimum wage so badly...

It's because we no longer live in a society where a majority of its members work skilled jobs. Since the '80s, those skilled labor jobs have gone outside the country, leaving of to eventually become a service economy rather than an industrial one. Many services are minimum wage.

Usually, I hear that it's supposed to be teenagers with minimum wage jobs as they're in high school or are transitioning to college. Now, we see adults working these minimum wage jobs in order to make ends meet because there is a lack of skilled labor jobs that don't require degrees. Hence, people want the minimum wage increased because the adults in that situation have little else to go, especially since they have children.

I'm Generation Z (b. 1997) but I'm sort of upset that this is what our economy is now when it could have been prevented. We have opportunities like Uber only because this service economy requires businessmen and women to create these sort of jobs, while most of the labor jobs are automated (mostly).

I think people should start learning how to navigate and fix electronics.

(This is purely observational, so I probably ran into the wrong conclusion according to reality, but these are my thoughts. Thx for reading!)

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Good observations. I think people should be learning how to survive without electricity and how to defend themselves because minimum wage is soon to be the least of our issues. But I digress.

CoprophagousCop

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium
We never had a society where the majority of its members worked skilled jobs. For a while it seemed like the number of skilled jobs was increasing, but then that was squashed with outsourcing to cheaper labor markets. Companies claim that they need to move their factories to countries like China and Mexico in order to compete, but you do not see the price of their products decreasing. That is, they are not trying to compete with lower prices. Furthermore, the quality of their products often goes down as well. The reason for all this can be summed up in one word: GREED.

We need minimum wage because most companies would rather not have to pay a living wage. The owners, executives, and share holders always want more money while the little people making them rich live paycheck to paycheck. It is sad that people who have been in the workforce for decades still barely make enough to get by.

(It is cheaper to have someone in China, Philippines, Mexico ... to make new electronics than to have someone try to fix them.)

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
You also have to remember that it's the consumers who want lower prices which leads to this behavior by corporations.

timotheus

Social Refugee
Premium
You also have to remember that it's the consumers who want lower prices which leads to this behavior by corporations.
While we always we alway want lower prices it doesn't seem to happen. I think corporations use this as an excuse when the reason is solely profit.

Jung

???
Premium
Wages in trades are way up right now due to shortages of skilled workers. People have the idea that these jobs are low paying and beneath them. Meanwhile, I have friends bringing home 100k as union plumbers, welders and self-employed electricians. And median income around here in only like 45k outside of oil & gas.

ib4

Error
Staff
Wages in trades are way up right now due to shortages of skilled workers. People have the idea that these jobs are low paying and beneath them. Meanwhile, I have friends bringing home 100k as union plumbers, welders and self-employed electricians. And median income around here in only like 45k outside of oil & gas.
Man that's the truth. A buddy I grew up with put together a plumbing plan where no one works for him, but he contracts more plumbers when he needs them with his larger contracts. Showed me $250k in cash said he was able to collect in just a year and a half.

When I got out of the Corps I was able to make dope money as a welder too. The list goes on in regards to what you said @Jung

Crazizniac

Particinator
Consumers play a smaller part in the equation than stockholders. Corporations know consumers will consume. People are wired to want everything that everyone else owns so if you drive down the street on Saturday when everyone has there garage doors open you will see that everyone has all the same shit, tools, ATV's , hobby shit. I don't live in a co-operative neighborhood but it would make a lot of sense as consumers to share some shit.

Man that's the truth. A buddy I grew up with put together a plumbing plan where no one works for him, but he contracts more plumbers when he needs them with his larger contracts. Showed me $250k in cash said he was able to collect in just a year and a half.

When I got out of the Corps I was able to make dope money as a welder too. The list goes on in regards to what you said @Jung
Depends on where you're at in the country / world . My nephew just moved 1900 miles from Virginia to work in the shop I've been helping out. His Pa says there really aren't a lot of jobs in VA right now. We're hiring hard and I'll split bounty if anyone is interested.