Headlines Why The Fuck Isn't Pot Legal In The Us?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jung

???
Premium
JLXC said:
Pot isn't legal because the Tobacco and Alchohol folks would lose a lot of business if it wasn't. They have plenty of money to buy votes and ads.

That's about it.
How is that? Smoking weed doesn't satisfy nicotine cravings...

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
Why isn't pot legal?
If it was, my friend would get in a car accident every day.

bnccoder

Postaholic
They have found that it makes you more prone to mental problems.
United States
-------
Government officials say recent research makes a stronger case that smoking marijuana is itself a causal agent in psychiatric symptoms, particularly schizophrenia. "A growing body of evidence now demonstrates that smoking marijuana can increase the risk of serious mental health problems," said John P. Walters, director of the White House Office of Drug Control Policy.

Administration officials pointed to a handful of studies to make their case. One, from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, found adult marijuana smokers who first began using the drug before age 12 were twice as likely to have suffered a serious mental illness in the past year as those who began smoking after 18.

The ratio was 21 percent to 10.5 percent. Those who first started as teens also were at significantly higher risk.

Also Tuesday, The Sentencing Project released a report that found the government's "war on drugs" has become the "war on drug" as police agencies increasingly target marijuana.

Begun in the 1980s, the war on drugs was aimed at stopping large-scale narcotics traffickers, particularly those selling cocaine. But since 1990 more of the focus has been on catching users and low-level dealers. And more often than ever, the drug targeted is marijuana, according to the group, a national nonprofit organization that works on judicial reform and favors alternatives to jail.

Of some 700,000 marijuana arrests in 2002, 88 percent were for possession, it said. And only one of every 18 of those arrests ended in a felony conviction.

"Arresting record numbers of low-level marijuana offenders represents a poor investment in public safety" and diverts resources from "more serious crime problems," said Ryan King, co-author of the report.

King found that in 1992 arrests for heroin and cocaine comprised 55 percent of all drug arrests and marijuana 28 percent. A decade later heroin and cocaine arrests accounted for less than 30 percent of all arrests, while marijuana's share had risen to 45 percent.

Jennifer deVallance, spokeswoman for the White House drug office, said there are many reasons for the greater focus on marijuana. Among them: Marijuana is the single largest drug of abuse in the nation, the strains are more potent than ever and more is known about health dangers.

"For the first time, more kids are seeking treatment for marijuana use than alcohol," she said.

The Sentencing Project called for renewed national discussion of the war on drugs, an idea echoed by the conservative American Enterprise Institute. The group reported last month that despite spending at about $40 billion a year now and toughening drug sentencing laws, "America continues to experience the Western world's worst drug problems."

An epidemic of heroin use more than three decades ago, followed by a 1980s epidemic of cocaine and crack, prompted a massive intensification in drug enforcement while giving short shrift to prevention and treatment, the institute reported. It decried budgeting that spends two-thirds of drug control funds on enforcement, 25 percent on treatment and just 12 percent on prevention.

Link

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
junglizm said:
How is that? Smoking weed doesn't satisfy nicotine cravings...

well pot would be in major competition with alcohol and could make cigarettes less popular since more people might want to toke.

pot is illegal becaues of racism and jingoism in the past. it was first made illegal in the early 20th century. mexican immigration was at its peak in b/t 1910-1930. many americans didnt want all these mexicans coming over, since mexicans smoked marijuana (not all, but many did) to stop them from coming into the country many states passed legislation to make marijuana illegal so that they could deport many of the mexicans or stop them from entering entirely.

later on it was believed and propagandized (mainly by sensationalist yellow journalism which had some ties with racist anti-pot legislature) that blacks and hispanics widely used the drug and due to racist legislators and racist studies conducted the drug was outlawed in some states.

some analysis: the main problem is that this was assumed to be a states rights issue. the consitution states that any rights not listed to the federal government are assumed to be states. prohibition didnt follow this model, but prohibition was repealed in one ammendment (21, it was passed in 18). since each state did it individually it was easier for the laws to be passed, and harder for them to be repealed. another problem was that the majority of this happened during the progressive era. the progressives among many other things were strong supporters of prohibition, which could and did include banning of marijuana. this massive support coupled with jingoism led to anti-pot laws.

that is why pot isnt legal in the US. look at a history book if you want to find an answer to a problem like this.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Myself said:
Hey buddy, if you read correctly he clearly states

"allowed for medical use in: California..."

Learn how to read.

As Jung and Nailbomb so kindly pointed out, that was EXACTLY my point.

To be clear, Oregon and Cali allow the use of Marijuana for medicinal reasons. I don't know about Washington (apparently not from Smoke's statements).

You can't use it in Idaho for any reason. Although until recently it was legal to drive stoned. The law basically said you can't drive while under the influence of Alcohol or Narcotics. Apparently THC didn't qualify as a narcotic under Idaho laws.

That has since been rectified.

dd95

Flame Bait
if it was legal the price would shoot up and it would be made with more chemiclas i wouldnt allow that! :gun: :confuse:

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
dd95 said:
if it was legal the price would shoot up and it would be made with more chemiclas i wouldnt allow that! :gun: :confuse:

i would hope the price would decrease if made legal since now it can be mass grown on huge farms and you don't have to pay extra for smuggling.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
WizardlyFriend said:
i would hope the price would decrease if made legal since now it can be mass grown on huge farms and you don't have to pay extra for smuggling.

Big tobacco would jump right on it. Instead of "paying for smuggling" we'd be paying for their chemicals and filters. Even if the price per amount went down, they'd become much more addictive, and people would have to buy more and more to keep functioning, much like cigarettes.

bnccoder

Postaholic
You would have less drunk drivers if they were stoners. They would never remember where they put their keys. Pun intened.

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
Most stoners are great drivers, but the first-time stoners are horrible drivers.
Have you ever seen a stoned driver hit someone and kill them? Nope, pot driving isn't as bad as drunk driving.

bnccoder

Postaholic
I learned to drive stoned and can drive very well drunk. I stick to the back roads away from people just in case though.

Taylor_Blade

Lost Soul
bnccoder said:
I learned to drive stoned and can drive very well drunk. I stick to the back roads away from people just in case though.

It's good that you stick to the back roads, but driving in that condition is still a bad idea.

Shaggy2Dope94

My axe is my buddy
UberSkippy said:
BULLSHIT. It's not legal in Idaho nor is it legal in DC. California, OREGON and MAYBE Washington. I don't know about Florida or Hawaii.

But given that this info is wrong the rest becomes suspect.

Yea :mfinger: that info is 100% true i had to do a fuckin report on the legalization of fuckin marijuanna :thumbsup:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
WizardlyFriend said:
he quotes you so im assuming its your info uberskippy

Yeah but I'm not sure if he's agreeing with me or saying I'm wrong.

Regardless, pot is not legal in Idaho. It is legal for medical purposes in Oregon and California however the FDA is now invovled saying it's still ilegal. Now there's a huge bruhaha about individual states having the legal right to legalize pot.

For the same reasons that the Government is fighting medical pot in the states, it is NOT leagal in DC.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
since the beginning of the US government the two dominant political parties have debated what is states rights and what is solely the right of the federal government to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.