WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Offbeat Wimbledon referee makes a noise over grunting

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
LONDON (AFP) - Grunting noises made by female tennis players as they strike the ball are getting out of hand, and rules should be changed to crack down on the practice, Wimbledon referee Alan Mills has said, according to a report.

Mills, Wimbledon's chief official for 22 years who retires after this week's tournament, which begins on Monday, told The Sunday Times he believed coaches were teaching young women players to grunt.
"I don't like it at all. Today there is probably more grunting than there has ever been," he said.

"If I was playing an opponent making so much noise, I think I'd just laugh. But it's what young players are being coached to do.

"Many of the non-grunting players are unhappy about the noise pollution and a kind of counter-grunt culture has emerged in recent years whereby offended parties ape their opponent's noises."

He added: "Officials can only act if the player is shown to be making the noise on purpose, which is virtually impossible to do.

"As far as I am concerned it is certainly a specific matter that the rule makers should address."

One of the loudest of the modern grunters is defending women's champion Maria Sharapova, who, according to the paper, makes a 100-decibel grunt, roughly the same volume as small aircraft landing nearby.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

counter-grunt culture - Wow.

Is there nothing else going on in the world?

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Damn, VOR you're good. I was about to post a thread about this. Alan Mills should switch to golf if he doesn't like a noisy game. Maria Sharapova is hot. I could listen to her grunts and 100 decibel noises all day.

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
That's one of the things that makes it entertaining. Other thing is the girls. you should post pics.

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
voiceofreason said:
One of the loudest of the modern grunters is defending women's champion Maria Sharapova, who, according to the paper, makes a 100-decibel grunt, roughly the same volume as small aircraft landing nearby.
That's ridiculous.
I say let them grunt until someone famous points out how fucking retarded they sound.

Hahahaha....
That's gotta be the stupidest crap I've heard in a while.
Who cares about the grunts. It's become so much a part of the game I hardly notice. I'm too busy wathing certain things bounce anyway. If anything it makes it more interesting and entertaining since the only other sound is the racquet hitting the ball.