WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Windows Vista Beta 1 Screenshots

not sure

Banned - What an Asshat!
umm

what are the minium speks for vista but the screens look ok but im not too smart about that kinda stuff

Jung

???
Premium
not sure said:
what are the minium speks for vista
I'm not sure, but you could Google for them. I'm not even sure the official specs have been released yet, with Vista/Longhorn still being in beta and all.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
dull_bullet said:
It looks kinda like they're ripping off Mac OSX...

How??? I don't think OSX and Longhorn/Vista look anything alike.

http://www.jcxp.net/vista_beta1_shots/shots/24.jpg

I don't know why; but that's probably my favorite picture.

Thirdly, I don't really see the need for the large icons, I prefer things tiny so that they don't take up very much room. Large = Bad. Small = Good. :thumbsup:

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
dull_bullet said:
It looks kinda like they're ripping off Mac OSX...
Ripping off Mac OS was how Windows 1.0 was created.... worked then... :D

Jung

???
Premium
Darklight said:
Ripping off Mac OS was how Windows 1.0 was created.... worked then... :D
More like ripping off Xerox...

Fire_ze_Missles said:
How??? I don't think OSX and Longhorn/Vista look anything alike.
The icons....the "sleekness"..

haha, i wonder what provoked them to take a screenshot of that.

EDIT: yeah, macintosh ripped off xerox..i wonder why xerox totally gave up making an OS...?

Descent

Hella Constipated

Jung

???
Premium
dull_bullet said:
i wonder why xerox totally gave up making an OS...?
Xerox was never interested in the PC market, they created the GUI for their commercial printers and workstations. After they created it they saw a market in computer software companies, and created PARC, which is actually where most of the GUI features you see today were created and standardized. Here is a brief but good explanation of how the GUI came to be.

Jung

???
Premium
Darklight said:
Microsoft Ripped of Mac who ripped off xerox..
I know, and this has been discussed and argued here before. I give credit to the people who actually invented the GUI, not the people who stole it first.

Jung

???
Premium
har-har-har said:
is vista gonna have a copy of Spotlight in it?
Not at launch. That would require WinFS, but they still haven't ironed out the metadata creation process yet. WinFS and it's subsequent features will be released sometime after launch as a Windows Update.

gummi_

Tenderony
I dont mind the transperancy, if by that you mean that the windows etc are clear/see through?

Maybe its just personal preference.. :)

However, and it may just be the size of the screenshots, i think the text quality needs to be improved quite a fair bit. Looks a bit off to me.

Also, small icons for the win!