WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Windows XP Activation

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Notice: This does not involve a breach on legal issues!

So I installed Windows XP Pro about a month ago. I've been putting off the activation till recently. I lost the CD key buy I had the CD and I've installed off this CD in the past. It's registered through my sister and it has Dell support software, but everything works properly. I used a 3rd party software to purge the registration key but it's still "unauthorized". I'm not about to go looking through Warez to find an illegal key. I only have 4 days before Windows stops working...what should I do?

(For all you smart asses that say "Time to format!", that WILL be an option. I have backed up all my files and I'm prepared to do so if necessary.)

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
Ugh. This is the reason I stopped using my Dell disc even before I moved out of the Dell shell.

edit: I called in for a reactivation code like 7 times though telling them things like my hard disc failed and wrote it down the last time. :cool:

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I'll get back with you descent. I'll read through bnc's email right now. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

edit: i didnt receive your email bnc...i was just about to go read it when i posted...try sending again.

nmrowell@gmail.com

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
So yea...this is weird now.

I tried working with BNC on fixing the problem but when he told me to install a program it corrupted something and my computer kept blue-screening when I rebooted it. I fixed the problem by reinstalling windows (thanks for the delay, bnc!) I didn't lose anything, but now I have 20 days to fix the problem and activate windows cuz i set my BIOS clock back and cleared the registry. I still haven't fixed the issue at hand though.

Jung

???
Premium

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Does lying to customer support = warez?

All you have to do is tell them you are installing it on a new HDD, and they give you another activation.

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
BrIONwoshMunky said:
Does lying to customer support = warez?

All you have to do is tell them you are installing it on a new HDD, and they give you another activation.
They get suspiscious. You can tell by their tone of voice.
Also, they collect information. :thumbsdn:

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
rcarhar said:
Are you serious? Like they care. They sit on the phone all day, they're bound to hear all the excuses in the world... ha ha thats actually a funny... anyways, they give you numbers you put them in, Window's works, and Ka-blamo, Microsoft loses again.

Descent

Hella Constipated
BrIONwoshMunky said:
Are you serious? Like they care. They sit on the phone all day, they're bound to hear all the excuses in the world... ha ha thats actually a funny... anyways, they give you numbers you put them in, Window's works, and Ka-blamo, Microsoft loses again.
"Uh...Hi. Yeah, my neighbor's kid was playing frisbee with the disc and the dog shat on it. Then the dog was angry at the shit and ripped the serial off serials.wz...I mean Dell's side panel."

"Are you fucking kidding me?!"

"No...But the kid's black if that helps."

"So am I...and your copy of Windows was already activated and turned on. So I've gone to the liberty of de-activating it. Have fun Mr. Jim Bob."

"But wait! How will I do my school report on black history month?!"

"You won't. Besides, school doesn't exist where you live. Racist mother fucker."

*CLICK*

They are going to have to start making Windows XP Starter edition for the South :thumbsup:.

The Recycle Bin will be renamed to Outhouse, Internet Explorer will be renamed to Internets Explorer, and Windows Media Player will be renamed to Fox News Streamer 2000.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
rcarhar said:
Dude, they're in India. You can't tell anything by the "tone of their voice." It's hard enough to understand what they're saying as it is. They really don't care.

With the last job I had to activate XP all the time. I'd just call up, tell the computer the install code, it'd tell me I had to talk to a real person, I'd get on the phone, tell them the install code and they'd give me an activation code.

The funny thing was it was a cloned image so the install code was always the same.