WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Winter/Christmas Contest for Writers Block!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Christmas Contest! From Dec. 1st to Dec. 25th.

Short story format, 750 words or less. The theme is Winter or Christmas, can be about a good or bad feeling about either, dark or light, death or life, whatever, as long as the imagery is based around Winter or Christmas....

Now, last time we only had two valid participants, so hopefully we will have more this time. If we do not have more than two, then there is no need for a public vote.

The Rules:
No cursing without reason. Fuck fuck fuck will not get you to win.
No critiquing or replies allowed per entry. Post it in this thread, but any replies to any entry will be removed. Take your time before you post it here. You may post it in the general writers block first for a critique before you submit here. There is only one submission per person allowed. If you edit or change your submission, it will be removed from the contest. Taylor and myself may add/change rules as necessary.
You will be judged on language, grammar, flow, word usage and narrative content, imagery. You will also be judged on theme and content.
The judgement will be exactly the same as previous, however Rhyme Scheme will be replaced by Imagery.

The Winter Prize will be awarded after January 1st. The contest will be decided between Christmas Day and New Years Day.

No, we don't know what the prize is yet.....stay tuned for that!
(It is NOT going to be an xbox 360, I know that much!)

Also; Taylor and I have decided that in the spirit of contests, we can not have consecutive winners. A participant can only win once out of three contests. This way, we will not have anyone monopolizing the contests. While a previous winner is welcome and encouraged to enter, he or she can not receive 1st place more than once in three contests.

On a second note, I think some of us are not sure what a short story is, so I stole this from Winkpedia or whatever that fucking online encyclopedia thing is called;

A short story is a form of short fictional narrative prose. Short stories tend to be more concise and to the point than longer works of fiction, such as novellas and novels. Because of their brevity, successful short stories rely on literary devices such as character, plot, theme, language, and insight to a greater extent than long form fiction. Famous modern English-language short stories include The Snows of Kilimanjaro by Ernest Hemingway, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce, "The Dead" by James Joyce, To Build A Fire by Jack London, and A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner.

Short stories have their origins in the prose anecdote, a swiftly-sketched situation that comes rapidly to its point, with parallels in oral story-telling traditions. With the rise of the comparatively realistic novel, the short story evolved as a miniature, with some of its first perfectly independent examples in the tales of E.T.A. Hoffman and Edgar Allan Poe.

While personally I think Poe was a perverse drunk, in his stories it is always winter, always cold, always sad.....That doesnt mean I am looking for sad and cold and death in this contest, actually some happy shit would be pleasantly refreshing, but if you are looking for something to kind of guide you from poems to shorts, Poe crosses the line between both and I would recommend looking at some of his works if you need a little kick in the pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.