WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Wireless Network Adapter

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
this is an old issue for me, but it really irked me today so i decided i'd ask and find an answer. we have many computers in my home. the oldest one that is still actively used is a windows 98. i never use it, but its only use to anyone is the internet and solitaire. i tried installing a wireless adapter on it, but unfortunately i have an earlier and older version of 98 than the adapter allows and it could cause critical errors. i have like version 1 and the adapter needs atleast version 2. so i tried to use IE since i always just pop open a browser and surf and connection failed or whatever the error was because that computer requires you to use a phone line.
so is there any way i can update that computer from v1 to v2 on windows 98. im not sure exactly what they're called. or are there any adapters made that will run fine with a linksys G wireless router. we got a g wireless adapter but as i said above it doesnt work. the computer with the router is a windows xp that we bought sp1 and updated to sp2 and the third computer we actively use is this one which we bought recently and is sp2.

all help is appreciated. although i would prefer a method in which new parts wont have to be purchased. id rather just use the stuff i have.

bnccoder

Postaholic
Have you tried setting the dns, IP, and default gateway manualy?

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
bnccoder said:
Have you tried setting the dns, IP, and default gateway manualy?
no, the problem is the adapter doesnt work and i get all sorts of windows errors when it is in. including warnings saying to take it out. i called linksys and the guy told me to take out hte adapter because it could mess up windows. its not compatable with my version of windows 98.

also, i dont think that would solve the problem, but i could be wrong...