WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Words, words words.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I will start by saying that this thread is not about the glorious F-word, but rather the words that change as you travle from state to state.

As some of you know, I am in the military, and so I work with people from all over the USA.

The biggest one is soda. I call it soda, but some people call it pop, and others call it coke. I hear arguments about this all the time.

Another differance comes in when I talk, I say things like "froadding" wich means offroading. I said that I was going to go froadding after work and no one knew what I was talking about.

Here is the deal, What words have you heard, or used that confused people? What do you call soda? And what do you think about other "versons" or words?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i get it double, american english and british english, plus the state variations..

when i got here i used a lot of vocabulary from my only previous reference, movies, music and books.. so i had lots of mistakes..

i just say what i want now, i do try and get the american english right but if i don't know it, i don't know it..

my wife says coke for any soda, i did say pop back in england but no-one says that here in TN.. coke seems wrong for dr pepper..

i haven't started saying "y'all".. nor will i.. ;)

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
Pants. English = underwear. American = trousers. Still gets me confused.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Piro said:
Pants. English = underwear. American = trousers. Still gets me confused.
going outside for a fag..
quite different here.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
and here I would of thought froading would be getting off to pictures of frodo baggins...

oh well.. but yes, I do notice here in texas people call soda, pop... and plastic bags... sacks... some lady asked me "you want a sack for that?"... im like "what about my sack?!?"

Fideru

Agitated Pancake
Darklight said:
"you want a sack for that?"... im like "what about my sack?!?"
Lol. Some people are like that. Hitting on strappin' young lads.

jamesp

In Memory...
Why did you post this here? Go read the rule......no, better yet, exercise some of that common sense god gave you.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Wrong forum.

Anyway, Drinking Fountain vs Bubbler. Changes some where in Wisconsin. There's a hard line. One side it's Drinking Fountain, on the other it's Bubbler. There is no demiliterized zone.

diamond

The nice guy
'pissed'

Here in the UK it means drunk. So when I read a post from someone who claims to be 'pissed', I have to do a double check.

latinmaxima said:
the worst warshing = washing. kentucky/tennessee accents are the worst
Missourians say that too. Then there's the ever popular Missourian phrase (could be used elsewhere too, I don't know) yuz for you (plural). Gotta love 'em.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
UberSkippy said:
Wrong forum.

Anyway, Drinking Fountain vs Bubbler. Changes some where in Wisconsin. There's a hard line. One side it's Drinking Fountain, on the other it's Bubbler. There is no demiliterized zone.
I never heard that one. Interesting.

Hero, sub, or hoagie for a sandwich.
or
American's plaid to the British tartan

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
UberSkippy said:
Wrong forum.

Actually that's kind of wierd. I just had to repair a drinking fountain at work the other day, and the spout thing was actually called the bubbler in the parts manual.

well down here in new orleans, there are many alternate ways of saying things

zink - sink
cold drink - for anytype of soft drink, coke, or watever
yall - for you all ( I kno thats other places in the south too)
theres more, I just cant think of any at the moment

diamond

The nice guy
zoloftcasserole said:
shopping cart vs. buggy

Whenever I hear someone refer to them as buggies, I think they're talking about a stroller.
We call them trolleys

R

RedOctober

I sometimes hear funny differences between English and American.

Chair = Stool (derived from Dutch/German - stoel/stuhl)

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
void said:
going outside for a fag..
quite different here.
LOL

Rubbers=erasers. We had an English exchange student in our english class. You have no idea how funny that was to a room full of 9th graders.

"Excuse me teacher, do you have an extra rubber?"

LMAO

Its still funny. Thats kind of sad.