WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines work visa's for immigrants

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=7998466

Bush Immigration Reform Faces Uphill Fight
Thu Mar 24, 2005 01:19 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush's proposed overhaul of immigration laws faces diminishing prospects in a Congress already wary of his top domestic priority, revising Social Security, analysts said on Thursday.

Bush seemed to acknowledge the difficulties facing his plan to give temporary work permits to illegal immigrants, when he discussed the issue on Wednesday after meeting Mexican President Vicente Fox and Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin.

Bush's comments amount to an admission that his reform proposals are not advancing in the Republican-controlled Congress, said Steve Camarota of the Center for Immigration Studies, which opposes the president's plan and calls for reduced immigration.

"I think Bush now understands there isn't much support for what he wants to do. There are very powerful Republican committee heads who are not interested in pursuing it and Bush doesn't seem willing so far to expend much political capital on it," Camarota said.

The president's plan is effectively dead for this Congress, a senior Republican Senate aide said.

TEMPORARY PERMITS

Under Bush's plan, illegal immigrants could obtain work permits for three years, renewable for another three years, to do jobs U.S. citizens did not want.

Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain and Massachusetts Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy are trying to draft legislation that would embody Bush's proposals. But the real problem is in the House of Representatives, where sentiment among majority Republicans seems to be increasingly anti-immigrant.

Opponents of Bush's plan say it rewards illegal behavior and urge the president to concentrate instead on beefing up border security. On the other side, some Democrats would like the administration to go further by offering illegal immigrants a way to obtain U.S. citizenship. A report by the Pew Hispanic Center published on Monday showed that the number of illegal immigrants had increased by 23 percent to 10.3 million since Bush took office in 2001, with the vast majority coming from Mexico.
edit: into the wastelands......

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
Bush plans is stupid! You can not expect an immigrant to come to the USA stay here for three years and then go back. Blah. He can stick his plan up his fucking ass! :mfinger:

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
FuckFace said:
Bush plans is stupid! You can not expect an immigrant to come to the USA stay here for three years and then go back. Blah. He can stick his plan up his fucking ass! :mfinger:
They do it all the time on work and student visas.

Infidel

The Militia
Yea, but these are the same Jose's that bring their ____ over that they impregnated, drop a anchor child and then bring the entire 50 member clan over the fucking border.

You really think they are going to go back to the shithole they left? No, after three years, they are going to go into hiding.

Bush is asshat ignoramous who just want cheap ass labor for low level shit b/c American teens are too busy in front of their fucking playstations to get a damn job doing something.

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
Infidel said:
Yea, but these are the same Jose's that bring their ____ over that they impregnated, drop a anchor child and then bring the entire 50 member clan over the fucking border.

You really think they are going to go back to the shithole they left? No, after three years, they are going to go into hiding.

Bush is asshat ignoramous who just want cheap ass labor for low level shit b/c American teens are too busy in front of their fucking playstations to get a damn job doing something.
I´m glad there are so many people with intelligent opinions regarding immigration... :rolleyes:

Work Permits!

I can tell you right now that if an ILLEGAL immigrant gets a work permit from the US and I can't for whatever reason then I feel thats just stupid.

I'm tryin to get a work permit myself - and to get this my potential employer needs to prove that not one single (local) American can do the job that I want to apply for. This permit application can take up to TWO years before I can be allowed to work....

So yeah, ok you can get immigrants who are Doctors, Lawyers, Vets, Neurosurgeons and the like - but there's a reason they are ILLEGAL immigrants. For whatever reason the US Government has decided that this person has illegally entered the country and should not remain there - so what is the point in letting them work there??? It seems really stupid that Bush would think this way.

Messer :)

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Illegal aliens, legal aliens, whatever. I say the law should force employers to pay them exactly what they pay Americans. The only reason corporations give jobs to aliens is because they can get plenty of work out of foreigners for a fraction of the cost of an American worker.
Illegal immigrants are the well known subject. They usually perform blue-collar jobs for pennies per hour. However, many there's also the H1-B temporary visa's. These permits effective make indentured servants out of workers (usually software engineers for Asia). They're being exploited in that the visa only them to work for a specific company: hence they cannot seek better compensation with a competitor company. Therefore, their employers can safely freeze their salaries (at a fraction of what an American programmer normally gets). However, this small pay-rate is still a lot more than what they would get in their home country. The biggest victim of this are the American programmers whose jobs are taken by these visitors. Case point: Woodreaux.
If employers were required to pay migrant labor the same rate as American citizens, then our businesses would have no financial incentive to preferentially hiring people from other countries.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I just wonder if Vicinte Fox provides work permits for people from Central America that are trying to get into Mexico for a better life...

I can't believe we have jobs that Americans don't want.... yeah welfare.... :thumbsup:

scgalemd

Necro-Poster
The hypocrisy of mexico

interestingly, Mexico has a very TIGHT southern border. The hypocrisy of these people to actually encourage their citizens to come to the USA to bring dollars to their country while actively preventing central americans from doing the same...

scgalemd

Necro-Poster
of course, the only thing really wrong with the mexican government is that its run by mexicans - not a judgement about the people, just a fact - perhaps outside influence and assistance in decision making would help - --- or we could simply annex the country - which would be better for both parties...

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
scgalemd said:
interestingly, Mexico has a very TIGHT southern border. The hypocrisy of these people to actually encourage their citizens to come to the USA to bring dollars to their country while actively preventing central americans from doing the same...
That's funny. I must have missed the last town meeting where the government tried to convince me to move to the US. I´m glad you have a clue what you're talking about here.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
Woodreaux said:
Illegal aliens, legal aliens, whatever. I say the law should force employers to pay them exactly what they pay Americans. The only reason corporations give jobs to aliens is because they can get plenty of work out of foreigners for a fraction of the cost of an American worker.
Illegal immigrants are the well known subject. They usually perform blue-collar jobs for pennies per hour. However, many there's also the H1-B temporary visa's. These permits effective make indentured servants out of workers (usually software engineers for Asia). They're being exploited in that the visa only them to work for a specific company: hence they cannot seek better compensation with a competitor company. Therefore, their employers can safely freeze their salaries (at a fraction of what an American programmer normally gets). However, this small pay-rate is still a lot more than what they would get in their home country. The biggest victim of this are the American programmers whose jobs are taken by these visitors. Case point: Woodreaux.
If employers were required to pay migrant labor the same rate as American citizens, then our businesses would have no financial incentive to preferentially hiring people from other countries.
no, i beg to differ. then they'd outsource anything and everything they can to avoid that yet still. to an extent, illegal/legal immigrants serve to fill a void left by citizens of the host country. if more citizens were highly educated/held advanced degrees in math, science and engineering then i'd agree but we are lagging so far behind it's become a problem, same thing w/ outsourcing. to me, what some of the american workers get paid (for what they do) is outrageous and that's much more of a problem contributing to unemployment in this country than anything else is. well that and sour economic conditions, but it's all relative.

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
gurlgonewild said:
no, i beg to differ. then they'd outsource anything and everything they can to avoid that yet still.
Actually, the companies that can afford to outsource, already do. The companies that hire illegals tend to be the companies that absolutely cannot outsource, so they do the next best thing.