WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Would you loot in a natural disaster?

Would YOU loot during a natural disaster?

• Only the basics - food and medication.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Only the bascs, plus clothes. Could be here a long time, need to have clean underwear.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Only the basics, plus designer clothes. Why not? It's there anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only Option 3 for the sick/young/elderly/poor. God makes us strong awhile to protect the weak.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Only Option 3 for the strong/fast/rich/virile. Only the fittest stand a chance.

• Only for things that everyone else is looting. It must be alright if they're doing it.

• Everything - TVs, laptops, cars. Think about your future, can't trust those insurance companies.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • The fucking system has finally been toppled and you and your boys are top dogs now! Stick'em up!

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Never, this level of destruction proves God exists. Everytime thou lootith, God killeth a kitten.

• Always, this level of destruction proves God doesn't exist. Why even wait for a crisis?

• Total voters

JusDoodln'

Too dumb for the shortbus
Pop-quiz hotshot. You've just survived a natural disaster, you run out of your house and into a smashed store. People are taking food, medications, clothes, appliances - everything, in a huge panic. Pretty soon there'll be nothing left and you have no idea when relief will arrive... What do you do? What DO you do?

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I would absolutely loot clean water and food from abandoned grocery stores or convenience stores. I would not loot anything else. I would not kill people to get at clean food or water.

spider1

Banned - What an Asshat!
JLXC said:
I would absolutely loot clean water and food from abandoned grocery stores or convenience stores. I would not loot anything else. I would not kill people to get at clean food or water.
is that your final answer? then you are absolutely,100%, fucking correct!

JLXC

Premium
spider1 said:
is that your final answer? then you are absolutely,100%, fucking correct!
Yeah that's it, I have some morals I wont break unto death. I've been there, and kept them, so I know absolutely a few things about myself.

stuntboy

P-towns finest
loot or be looted

if new orleans hasent been looted then this isnt reality

JusDoodln'

I started this poll, and chose the "Everything" option, because its the truth (what can I say, I'm a realist asshole). And you know what the second poller chose? The "Stick 'em up!" option...

I'm gonna feel much happier and safer when I become a hermit.

Hey JLXC, what's the disaster you went thru?

(P.S, another person has voted - and they too chose the "Stick 'em up" option. Sigh...
*loots for a shotgun*)

JLXC

Premium
Hurricane Hugo, Fort Jackson, South Carolina

not to mention the first Gulf War and being homeless for a year

The system is corrupt, fuck it, out of anarchy a new world order will rise, as a phoenix from the ashes, to destroy the injustices of rich and poor, to destroy the beast of racism, to right the wrongs of market capitalism. In this new world, we shall achieve the one greatest human ambition: peace.
Naw, just kidding, but it does sound good, don't it?
It would be very interesting to see some kind of insurrection in New Orleans, all the conditions are there: complete lack of civil authority, and a large number of angry people. As Kanye West said: "George Bush doesn't care about black people." These are perfect conditions! The army/national guard has been sent in with orders to shoot to kill. There are angry armed citizens, all they need is some leading, unifying force.
I doubt an actual organized insurrecton will happen, but there will be blood running in the streets when this is over.

Slacker

Postaholic
JusDoodln' said:
Pop-quiz hotshot. You've just survived a natural disaster, you run out of your house and into a smashed store. People are taking food, medications, clothes, appliances - everything, in a huge panic. Pretty soon there'll be nothing left and you have no idea when relief will arrive... What do you do? What DO you do?
Why the hell would you steal appliances when all the power is out?

I would take food and clothes.

JusDoodln'

JLXC said:
not to mention the first Gulf War and being homeless for a year
Now THAT's interesting. Did you sleep in a shelter, a public or abandoned place? Where did you get food (and water)? How about showers? Clothes? Did you have a vehicle? What was the absolute worst day? Did you travel from place to place or stay put? How'd you get on your feet again? Did the police give you trouble or assistance? Was this in a city or a remote area? Did it have any effect on you (outlook on life, people etc). I have a cousin who was homeless for a while, so this intrigues me.

Everyone else: Stop posting messages and vote on the damn poll !

As for why people steal appliances - People are having a major freaky meltdown! Men are crying and women are pillaging! Cats and dogs are licking each other! That guys furiously shoving French Fries up his nose! Whoop! Whoop!

Translate: How the hell should I know why people do what people do?

Seriously, haven't people been stealing stereos and TV's in New Orleans? Haven't politicians been making TV relief statements to the people trapped without any electricity?

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
I would be one of the smart people who left before it hit...

So i wouldn't be looting anything

Stupidity

First of all, I probably would "gather" food and water for myself and those I'm closest to. Taking appliances and other luxuries like that are just stupid. What the hell are they thinking? I don't want to die, so while that idiot is taking those nice new Levis, I'm gonna take a knife and a case of canned goods. Also, a local newspaper mentioned in an article that several gangs were arming themselves and "terrorizing the other survivors". Those assholes I would not cry for if every one of them got shot themselves. (Hopefully, if they get killed, somebody has the sense to get their food stash.)

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
_Kitana_ said:
I would be one of the smart people who left before it hit...

So i wouldn't be looting anything
damn, you beat me to that comment.

i wanted to choose the "this poll has too many options" option, but i didn't see one.

it depends what kind of natural disaster it is and if there are zombies

Blaze Daily

<b>Banned - What an Asshat!</b>
WizardlyFriend said:
damn, you beat me to that comment.

i wanted to choose the "this poll has too many options" option, but i didn't see one.

it depends what kind of natural disaster it is and if there are zombies
I'd expect such a purile response from an uneducated hick such as your dear self. Poor fellow, I pity thee.

JusDoodln'

WizardlyFriend said:
It depends what kind of natural disaster it is and if there are zombies
Damn. How could I forget to put in the zombie option.
*slaps forehead*

And whats with the ppl stealing food and meds, but not clothes... Don't you people need something to wear? And if you're stealing clothes, wouldn't you go for some designer stuff? I would...

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
JusDoodln' said:
Damn. How could I forget to put in the zombie option.
*slaps forehead*

And whats with the ppl stealing food and meds, but not clothes... Don't you people need something to wear? And if you're stealing clothes, wouldn't you go for some designer stuff? I would...
i see you can understand a joke :), i think i repped you into the positives and blaze gheyly into the negatives :)

ThomConspicuous

Inconspicuously Informal
Definitely gotta grab fresh Duds, but not all designer crap is comfortable...so I'd definitely be going for the comfort factor. Hell...plenty of time waiting on evac, so why not try things on? ;)

JusDoodln'

WizardlyFriend said:
i see you can understand a joke :), i think i repped you into the positives and blaze gheyly into the negatives :)
Awwww...Thanks. Appreciate it.

(Though I was kinda hoping to build an infamously low rep, thereby becoming the reigning WTF underworld kingpin. Oh well, back to the Light side of the Force.)

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Only Option 3 for the sick/young/elderly/poor. God makes us strong awhile to protect the weak.

Although I disagree with the last sentance, if I were in that situation I would make sure that people who needed it, got it.

And I hate designer clothes anyways. I like t-shirts and sweats.

PS: As for the stick em up option, it depends on how much of an asshole the other person is being, what they have, and how much someone else needs it.

ericman123

CEO of the internet
Personally, I'd take fresh food, water and clothing. That's where I stop my looting though. If I can't justify taking something in my time of need then its not worth swiping.

Its not like all the contents of these stores aren't insured anyways. And I know that it doesn't make it right, but its not like the stores won't have all these items written off anyways. It is just common procedure.