WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Wounded Gay Soldier Discharged From Army

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
CINCINNATI - An Army sergeant from Ohio who was wounded in Iraq and wanted to remain in the military as an openly gay soldier was officially discharged Tuesday, according to an advocacy group.

Sgt. Robert Stout, 23, was awarded the Purple Heart after a grenade sent shrapnel into his arm, face and legs while he was using a machine gun on a Humvee in May 2004.

Stout, of Utica in central Ohio, told The Associated Press in April that he wanted to remain in the military and be openly gay, but that would conflict with the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Aaron Belkin, director of the Center for the Study of Sexual Minorities in the Military at the University of California-Santa Barbara, said Sgt. Robert Stout told him he was due back in the United States on Tuesday, the day of his discharge.

"I know a ton of gay men that would be more than willing to stay in the Army if they could just be open," Stout said in April.

Stout said he was openly gay among most of his 26-member platoon, part of the 9th Engineer Battalion based in Germany.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Talk about disrespecting American Heros....

Yea, this is definitely wrong, it shouldn't make a damn bit of difference wether or not he's gay, they shouldn't just discharge him like that.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
dont they usually discharge people after they get injured?

WizardlyFriend said:
dont they usually discharge people after they get injured?
Only if he's either had multiple injuries(there is a magic number for this but I don't know it) or an injury that would make him unable to fight in combat.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
WILD said:
Only if he's either had multiple injuries(there is a magic number for this but I don't know it) or an injury that would make him unable to fight in combat.
It's not about his injuries...

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
do you know why they have the dont ask dont tell policy. i believe it had to do with a gay kid getting beat to death in the military. this could be for his own protection, and to protect their asses. im not justifying it, just trying to put myself in their shoes.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
WizardlyFriend said:
do you know why they have the dont ask dont tell policy. i believe it had to do with a gay kid getting beat to death in the military. this could be for his own protection, and to protect their asses. im not justifying it, just trying to put myself in their shoes.
That's bullshit. The Army can't meet it's recruiting goals, but they're letting war heros go?

It's homophobia - that's all...

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
WizardlyFriend said:
Well, officially the US military won't allow gays. The Don't Ask Don't Tell policy came about after the uproar about the whole mess. Basically they said "Fine, as long as we don't know you're gay you can be in the military. We won't ask you, you don't tell us and we'll all pretend that it's hunky-dorry."

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
in any event it is fucked up that he is being kicked out for being gay, if that is the case.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
WILD said:
Yea, this is definitely wrong, it shouldn't make a damn bit of difference wether or not he's gay, they shouldn't just discharge him like that.

Well let me tell you something allowing gays in the military does kind of matter. First off you spend 19 months cramped up in tight space with a bunch of other guys, you shower together and stuff like that. Being openly gay, makes the rest of the majority of the unit uncomfrotable. What happens if they guy suddenly decideds to rape another soldier, maybe an 18 year old or something.....

It's just for the good of all our troops and the good of gays. I have nothing wrong with gay people, i just don't believe at this time it is alright to stick gays men and straight me in a tight confind area.... for 19 months.

Look what happens in prisions and some of those men are straight before they go int there. We have a the "don't ask, don't tell" so they can be apart of the army, they just don't have to tell....

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
WILD said:
id say grenade shrapnel would fuck you up for a few months, i doubt it had to do with his sexuality, but that would have come in after.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
voiceofreason said:
That's bullshit. The Army can't meet it's recruiting goals, but they're letting war heros go?

It's homophobia - that's all...
Your so quick to Judge Voice of reason. May I ask if you are gay? If you are how comfrotable would you be to spend 19 months with no woman around, in the middle of a war zone, in a space no bigger than a bedroom, with 3 other guys, knowing one of them is gay? How comfrotable would you feel to take a shower with them? knowing one of them is gay?

Just because their gay it doesn't mean they're gonna do the nearest guy to them. Lighten up.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
dull_bullet said:
Just because their gay it doesn't mean they're gonna do the nearest guy to them. Lighten up.
I am not saying it does. I am asking you how you would feel. It the temptation....

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
dull_bullet said:
I wouldn't feel uncomfortable.
ever been in that situation. Ever spent 19 months with no girls around and just guys....

Till you been there and delt with it, i don't think you should judge.

Ok, yes i know i haven't been to Iraq (in an american military uniform at least) but it seems to me that you wouldn't TURN gay after that amount of time. Maybe they were just gay before they went.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
dull_bullet said:
Ok, yes i know i haven't been to Iraq (in an american military uniform at least) but it seems to me that you wouldn't TURN gay after that amount of time. Maybe they were just gay before they went.

what do you mean turn gay. YOu know you haven't been to Iraq in an American military uniform? What does that mean. YOu make no sense.

It has nothing to do with if they turn gay it has to do with how the make the majority of the soldiers feel. I mean soldiers have to be comfrotable as possible to perform their job better. Being upset and strung out worrying if their ass is going to get raped while making life or death choices is not a good thing.

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
he's saying hes a part of the republican guard....