WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

WoW Helping or Hurting the Industry?

Jung

???
Premium
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/06/2034226&from=rss
alstor writes "The New York Times has an interesting story about the success of World of Warcraft, and whether it is hurting or helping the gaming industry; this goes along with an earlier post on an article from CNN. From the Times article: 'WoW is now the 800-pound gorilla in the room. I think it also applies to the single-player games. If some kid is paying $15 a month on top of the initial $50 investment and is devoting so many hours a week to it, are they really going to go out and buy the next Need for Speed or whatever? There is a real fear that this game, with its incredible time investment, will really cut into game-buying across the industry.' What is the Slashdot opinion on World of Warcraft's impact on the gaming industry?"
I think RPGers are a pretty niche market, but I can see the point they have about it possibly hurting the industry. What do you think?

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Well since I have many gamer friends, who have even more, I tell you what I think. There is a core group of guys who went all crazy in WoW. They did stop buying other games, because they felt they needed to get their worth out of the monthly fee. Most of those that bought WoW, stayed in a few months, then found other things to play. So I don't think it's going to be too big of a problems for "general sales" but it will be noticable. YMMV

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Won't hurt the industry much. Hurts individuals, though. One of my best friends is getting divorced, in part because his wife stopped eating, sleeping, and acknowledgeing any of her surroundings because of WoW. Spent her days on it. Personally, I don't understand why people would PAY full-price for a game, then continue paying, just to have the priviledge to play. And from what I hear, servers keep going down here and there every few weeks. http://www.mudconnect.com It's just that fucking simple. :thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
WoW isn't hurting the industry, lack of innovation is. The industry seems to be "breaking apart" into segments. You have kids. The little shits who grow up playing crap. And they'll buy anything with "Mario" or "Sonic" on it. I don't own Sonic Heroes or Mario Sunshine for a reason - I'm now a gaming veteran and I'm sick of all the crap coming out.

Then you have anyone 13 or older. The older they get generally the more pissed off they get about crap software.

The whole reason I'm getting into this hellhole is because I know how to sell innovative products and make a profit off of them with no creative constraints. Much like id Software did...

Big party publishers enjoy not spending the money to experiment. So they just don't.

Isotope Studios - My company, will always remain independent. And our software will be sold over the Net. Nowhere else. Use free engines like Quake 3 and you will be fine.

If you want to blame someone, blame conglomerates like EA and Sony. Especially Sony. After kicking the Dreamcast out of the market small time developers and publishers were unable to afford the higher-cost licensing agreements and devkits.

How much were Dreamcast devkits? Free. How much were PS2 devkits initally? $20,000. Each.

Food for thought. The PS2's graphics chip could pump more polygons but that was it. For everything else it was either slower or outputted very poor image quality. It was also a very hard to program console, as opposed to Dreamcast which was DirectX and OpenGL compliant.

I think Sony knew that if the PS2 was not hyped, it would arrive dead in the water, much like Saturn. No third parties would have supported it. With the hardware spec done, they rushed it, and were forced to use hype.

This is why I'm not upgrading for the next generation again. I'm still happy with the 280-game library on my Dreamcast because it has more unique games, not more games that play exactly the same.