WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Notice WTF 9.3 - Forum core update and new features...

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
Hey campers,

It's me Morty, bringing you yet another edition of our site update threads...

morty.png

2-Step Verification / Security
Two-step verification, also known as two-factor authentication, requires you to provide two pieces of information to login. The general form is expressed as "something you know and something you have". "Something you know" is your password. "Something you have" is the new part. You may have seen this with other services, such as Google accounts. If you're familiar with that, you'll understand how it works on WTF.

Two-step verification is something a user has to opt into sometime after they have registered. Enabling it increases security at the expense of a more complex login procedure.

Also:
Now, if your password is changed, you will receive an email to make you aware of this. Normally you can disregard this, but it serves to help notify you if someone is accessing your account and attempting to block your access to it.

Similarly, if your registered email is changed, you'll receive an email (to the previous address) to make you aware of this.

Thread Tags
Tags are a common method of adding keywords to content to aid searching and discovery. On WTF, we're adding support for applying tags to threads.

Thread tags apply to the thread itself (rather than individual posts), so they are displayed at the top of the thread view, independent of any post.

Clicking any tag will take you to a page displaying all content that has that tag attached to it.

These results pages will be accessible to search engines (and of course end users) to help them relate the tagged content to each other.

Search Profile Posts
You can also now search profile posts from the search page (with the option for comments as well).

Profile Post Comment Likes
Profile post comments now support the like system.

Of course if someone likes your comment, you get an alert just as you would expect.

As we were displaying the latest profile posts previously, we've also added the latest forum posts block as well.

Notice Enhancements
We are now able to notify groups of people, one person, or everyone about specific things with floating notices or block notices. Just kinda cool for admins to scare you from time to time. ;)

There are a ton of backend stuff, staff features and other things but that should be the bulk of the member-viewable stuff. There might be a few hidden goodies, see what you can find. ;)

ib4

Error
Staff
Nice! Will the notice of update appear every time I go to or reload the index? Or will that drop away after you tell it to!?

Edit: its popping up on every page...

Get your big black block notices out of my face!

Jason

Founder
Notices can be closed, and they will no longer appear.

Note to self: Need magic on tags' css!

Jane Deere

Mama Deere
Staff
Notice Enhancements
We are now able to notify groups of people, one person, or everyone about specific things with floating notices or block notices. Just kinda cool for admins to scare you from time to time. ;)

Bahahahahahha!

I can't believe I was just able to highlight something aND have it be added to my multi quotes! That was so cool!

Jason

Founder
Tapatalk = updated...

Rook

#triggered
So, the "Home" button is gone?

@Jason Why? TBH I'd rather see the top posts in all of the subforums rather than categorizing it by subforum already. IDC what thread they're in, I care what the newest post is.

Last edited: