WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

WTF Fitness: workouts, diet, supplements etc

Jung

???
Premium
I lift 3x/week alternating between a & b. This started as the StrongLifts 5x5 program but I've modified it for more bench and better gains. Currently, eating 3000 cal/day (40/40/20 fat/protein/carb ratio) but still trying to dial this in. When I'm cutting I eat 1500cal @ 65/35/5 (keto).

workout a:
5x10 squat
5x10 bar rows
5x10 bench
5x5 dead lift

workout b:
5x10 squat
5x10 overhead press
5x10 bench

supplements:
2000iu/day d3
3-4g/day fish oil
whey protein morning & post workout
glucosamine/chondroiton/msm
ecy stack and taurine when cutting
creatine hcl when my local shop puts Con-Cret on sale

What's your regimen?

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Rather than doing similar exercises every time you work out, I'd swap all the upper body and lower body workouts to separate days. You could even add in a third regimen and separate your arm exercises for one day, and put your chest, shoulders, back, and core on their own day. You'll need to change your exercises every couple months or so as well if you want to keep improving. On your off days, you can do light workouts whenever you've got the time. Just woke up? Do some crunches. Commercials on tv? Do some pushups. Done pissing at the urinal? Do some jumping jacks. Bonus on that last one is it's great for getting out that last drop of pee.

Remember that supplements are called that for a reason. They will give you a little more energy and help you heal a bit faster, but both of which are slight enough that you can do just fine without them. Not a bad idea if you do have money to spare, though.

Also, one thing I didn't see you mention that I'm saving for last because it is by far the most important: DO. NOT. NEGLECT. CARDIO. Both strength and cardio work support each other so that you get better exercises all around, not to mention that all of those muscles you're working on don't mean a thing when you're exhausted after a couple minutes of strain.

Jung

???
Premium
I've done the 4 day split before, but I'm not trying to get super big. I just want to put on maybe 10 more lbs lean muscle, which would put me at 180 and ~15% bf, then I'll cut and stick to maintenance and strength training again. I get my cardio in from biking, tennis and racquetball, I just don't tend to do a lot when I'm trying to gain weight.

Dead Set

Kang of Pang
Premium
Busting my ass to regain a bit of self control over this last weekend. Loosely followed my diet and did only a fair amount of working out at the hotel. My regimen is based on Timothy Ferriss's 'Four Hour Body;' "From Geek to Freak" and "Occam's Protocol I." Currently eating 4400 cal a day with 225 g of protein.

Workout A:

Machine
Close grip supinated pull down - 7 reps
Shoulder press - 7 reps

Free
Yates row - 7 reps
Shoulder-width overhead press - 7 reps

Workout B:

Machine
Decline bench - 7 reps
Leg press - 10 reps
Kettlebell swings - 50
Bike - 3 minutes at 90 rpm

Free
Incline Bench - 7 reps
Squats - 10 reps

Rotating through A,B,A every three days.

Supplements
Morning: NO-Xplode and Slo-Niacin
Meals: ChromeMate and alpha-lipoic acid
Pre-workout: BodyQuick
Post-workout: Micellean
Bedtime: policosanol, ChromeMate, alpha-lipoic acid, Slo-Niacin

Trying to add mass, so I'm also following a modified Stronglift 5x5 program, which is

A:
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Pull up (3 sets to failure)

B:
Squat 5x5
Overhead press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

I also try to do Cleans on Mondays/Fridays if time permits (which is rarely). On off days, I have ultimate practice (yes it's a sport you fools) which usually end in 8 100 yard sprints or so. Sadly, because of school, my workouts are extremely inconsistent. That, combined with intense cardio from ultimate, makes my mass gaining progress really slow.

The only supplement I take is protein shakes post workout.

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
Rather than doing similar exercises every time you work out, I'd swap all the upper body and lower body workouts to separate days... ...You'll need to change your exercises every couple months or so as well if you want to keep improving. On your off days, you can do light workouts whenever you've got the time. Just woke up? Do some crunches. Commercials on tv? Do some pushups. Done pissing at the urinal? Do some jumping jacks...

...Also, one thing I didn't see you mention that I'm saving for last because it is by far the most important: DO. NOT. NEGLECT. CARDIO. Both strength and cardio work support each other so that you get better exercises all around, not to mention that all of those muscles you're working on don't mean a thing when you're exhausted after a couple minutes of strain.
Great advice, cross-training n' cardio.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
I wish I could take my workout serious enough to do all the supplements and counting calories. Right now I just workout for time.

I run at least 15 minutes out and however long it takes for me to get back. Then I cool down and fix a fresh fruit smoothie. After my smoothie is done I just go to my room and just do top end burnout. I usually work with 80lbs incline and flat bench. Taking a break between the exercises for pull-ups and push-ups.

The next time I would do something like squats and leg lifts. I'll squat 100lbs till burnout then move to dips and then go to my leg lifts at like 80 lbs to burnout.

I like keeping my small frame and building sick strength with little to no mass. I've noticed that I'm pretty much on an all protein diet. Not because I'm watching it or anything, but I just eat the shit out of meat.

I workout every other day. I've been keeping track of my arm, leg, neck, waist etc sizes. I've never really been trained to workout (aside from Marine Basic). I don't have very many problems with maintaining the way I like to look.

I suppose If I took it more seriously I could produce more fantastic results, but I'm realistic in that I doubt I would stick to it by myself.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
I've done the 4 day split before, but I'm not trying to get super big.
Wasn't even talking about adding an extra day. You could do A,B,C every week and add some cardio work to the routine.

Jung

???
Premium
Wasn't even talking about adding an extra day. You could do A,B,C every week and add some cardio work to the routine.
The point of my routine is to stress compound exercises like full-depth squats, bench and dead lift. I should probably throw power cleans in there, and I'm waiting on a new pullup bar as we speak, but aside from that, I think the routine is fine as is. I've seen more consistent gains from the 3x/week 5x5 type programs (the premise here being that you add weight every workout) than I did on a typical 4 day split prior to my injury and hiatus.

I do sit ups/crunches, push ups, dips and other body weight stuff, just not regularly enough to have listed. Crunches really aren't that important if you're squatting heavy 3x/week anyway.

NO-Xplode
Doesn't this contain DMAA? I'd stick with something ephedrine based if so. Hell, even albuterol seems more appealing that that stuff. Beta agonist are typically better than basic stims.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
Well, can I ask a favor being that you seem to be pretty serious about the workout thing? Try picking up that door jam pull up bar. I make myself a rule that when its hanging on my door I'll do at least 3 or 4 every time I enter or leave said room.

I'd just like to get your opinion on if or not you feel the pull up bar is worth a crap. I mean, ultimately all that matters is that it holds your weight. I'm able to do inverted hanging situps from it. Here is the bar I'm using:

Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym

Its pretty decent for the price. It will also hold my 320 lb buddy when he wants to crack his back. Not sure if my door jams are more re-enforced than most peoples, but I've not had any problems with it. Not sure if you're working out in a gym or your house or whatever, but its a pretty good investment for the pay-off.

Jung

???
Premium
I dropped back to the Starting Strength program with accessory lifts. My ghetto program put 20 on my bench and 15 on ohp but stalled after that. I think I can still pull some linear progress out of SS before having to switch to 5/3/1 or something.

Power cleans and front squats are awesome, and have sparked my interest in the olympic lifts. Now I have to find a new gym. heh.

Currently eating 4400 cal a day with 225 g of protein.
This seems more like a diet for gaining weight... how's it working for you?

I'm definitely short of my goal, but the weather means it's time to start cutting. I haven't run any thermogenics since I started this cut but even my lower cal days have been easy, with a few unintentional super low days. http://imgur.com/a/yZAee#0

Dead Set

Kang of Pang
Premium
This seems more like a diet for gaining weight... how's it working for you?

I'm definitely short of my goal, but the weather means it's time to start cutting. I haven't run any thermogenics since I started this cut but even my lower cal days have been easy.

http://imgur.com/a/yZAee#0
In short: I'm decreasing my TFP while gaining some muscle. I've pretty much plateaued with my weight loss, but I'm gaining a bit of definition. The second part of the routine involves PAGG stacking which I'm not sure I'm really ready for, quite yet.

I moved squats to workout A because I wanted to shoot myself in the face after B days.

I can see the shadow of my abs now. I'm very pleased.

Faust

...and I shall shed my light over dark evil.
So, it's been awhile, but in my lurking, I figured this was actually a good place to post this, and also ask for some help.

Over the last 4 months or so I cut about 40 pounds, and am now down to a lean, fairly mean, 150 pounds. Roughly 5 more pounds than I was upon discharge from the Corps. However, i'm lost now. I want to bulk eventually, but for now, I want to largely just sustain my weight where it's at, let my body adjust to it's new self, and then build upon it. Cardio is important to me, and I could never just cut it out. I'm back to running at least a ten k every other day (my non-lift days), but I definitely want to add a bit of musculature/build a strong foundation and cut the last bit of stubborn fat before I do bulk.

Do any of you folks have any good recommendations, especially in regard to a strength training program. I know my gains won't be as large without a calorie surplus, but as stated, I pretty much want to just sustain. I have a protein shake every morning, and follow my workouts with about 5 grams of creatine, and am still showing some improvement doing what i'm doing, but I definitely sense a plateau coming. HELP PLOX!

timotheus

Social Refugee
A favorite of mine will always be pushups, pullups, and full-body dips. If you have access to an A frame. In all I did a circuit of 12 sets beginning with pull ups, then to dips, and finished each set repping out pushups. The 12 sets I would break up by my grip on the pull up bar, beginning with wide, then underhand, parallel, and the last four were close grip overhand. For legs I prefer a combination of free squats and lunges. Also if you have a membership at a gym that offers kettlebell classes they are definitely worth checking out.

Jung

???
Premium
I'm back to running at least a ten k every other day (my non-lift days), but I definitely want to add a bit of musculature/build a strong foundation and cut the last bit of stubborn fat before I do bulk.
Cardio is very catabolic. I would cut the cardio down to an ~8 round HIIT cycle twice a week on non-lift days and stop entirely if/when you bulk. If you lift heavy 3-4x/week you're going to burn fat anyway, especially if you eat clean. You could always down some BCAA and lift/do cardio fasted as well.

If you want to bulk a little without much effort, try grabbing 1/2-1 cup of almonds and an extra glass of whole milk a day. That's about 500kcal and the macros are decent.
Do any of you folks have any good recommendations, especially in regard to a strength training program. I know my gains won't be as large without a calorie surplus, but as stated, I pretty much want to just sustain. I have a protein shake every morning, and follow my workouts with about 5 grams of creatine, and am still showing some improvement doing what i'm doing, but I definitely sense a plateau coming. HELP PLOX!
Assuming you have access to a gym or at the very least bar, bench and some weights... If your primary goal is strength, then you will want to look into a linear progression program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts. The major difference between these is power cleans vs. Pendlay rows for back (imo you should do both if you want good lats, but cleans aren't beginner friendly wrt form. You'll probably need to start with clean pulls to train the jump/shrug action.). If you're looking for strength and size, I'd look into this 5/3/1 mod.

If you do SS/SL, would add chins 3x5 to failure on bench days and dips 3x5 on press days until you can do 8s, then add weight. Then do bicep and forearm accessories 2x/week as you see fit. I like preacher and seated hammer curls personally.

A favorite of mine will always be pushups, pullups, and full-body dips. If you have access to an A frame. In all I did a circuit of 12 sets beginning with pull ups, then to dips, and finished each set repping out pushups. The 12 sets I would break up by my grip on the pull up bar, beginning with wide, then underhand, parallel, and the last four were close grip overhand. For legs I prefer a combination of free squats and lunges. Also if you have a membership at a gym that offers kettlebell classes they are definitely worth checking out.
Squats are something you really want to do with as much weight as possible to build up your lower body and core. Deadlifts are also very important.

Kettlebells are awesome, and you can use them to emulate a lot of barbell exercises like squat and power cleans fairly successfully.

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
I'm poor, I can rarely afford the gym but I'm a hands-on girl anyway, I don't mind the digging in and getting dirty that landscaping and yardwork are, mulching and composting. It's very physical and sometimes I help out odd hours doing things like staining or painting and that helps my arms, especially because I work with a lot of odd, heavyish pieces for me. A lot of the mulching is heavy exhertion, so I get my cardio there and in walking/hiking.

I'd grown so sick with myself over a recent gain I'd worked hard to get off but fucking finally, it's coming off again. I'd hit my own plateau but I finally broke through it, fuckyes! I'm feeling much better about how far I can get with it this summer, all is well again.

Faust

Cardio is very catabolic. I would cut the cardio down to an ~8 round HIIT cycle twice a week on non-lift days and stop entirely if/when you bulk. If you lift heavy 3-4x/week you're going to burn fat anyway, especially if you eat clean. You could always down some BCAA and lift/do cardio fasted as well.

If you want to bulk a little without much effort, try grabbing 1/2-1 cup of almonds and an extra glass of whole milk a day. That's about 500kcal and the macros are decent.

Assuming you have access to a gym or at the very least bar, bench and some weights... If your primary goal is strength, then you will want to look into a linear progression program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts. The major difference between these is power cleans vs. Pendlay rows for back (imo you should do both if you want good lats, but cleans aren't beginner friendly wrt form. You'll probably need to start with clean pulls to train the jump/shrug action.). If you're looking for strength and size, I'd look into this 5/3/1 mod.

If you do SS/SL, would add chins 3x5 to failure on bench days and dips 3x5 on press days until you can do 8s, then add weight. Then do bicep and forearm accessories 2x/week as you see fit. I like preacher and seated hammer curls personally.

I've been lifting for the last four months, and there was a time before where I was a very athletic guy (i'm getting there again now, heh). I have been doing power cleans for the last while, and yeah, they're definitely unfriendly to new lifters. Still, I can pop right into them.

Have you been showing good progress with the 5x5 stuff? I've been using something very similar to the 5/3/1 mod, and have been showing improvement gradually, but not as quickly as I would like. I know, with this stuff it is only a gradual build, and on a cal defecit/neutral the growths are less significant, but still. What, of these plans, would you recommend?

And yeah, I eat pretty clean. I think the worst thing I have is about two tablespoons of nutella each day, and it's pretty solid on the protein and good fats while being fairly low in the added sugars and sodium. Otherwise I eat pretty much plain chicken breast, an assortment of unsalted nuts, whole wheat breads, and an assortment of fruits and veggies. Namely spinach, lettuce, grapes, bananas, and blackberries. I drink a ton of milk, but since i'd been cutting weight, i'd been using two percent. Should I switch it up to whole, even i'm not planning on bulking excessively right now?

Jung

???
Premium
5x5 works incredibly well; in fact, 3x5/5x5 is how power and Olympic lifters train. I prefer this over bodybuilding routines initially for the reason that almost everything you do works your core and assistance muscles in addition to the target. Even the presses work lower back, abs and obliques if done correctly (bench with power lifting form, squeeze your abs and ass for military press etc).

It really depends on what your goals are though. 5x5 is great for building a base of full body strength, but isn't going to get you as big as a traditional BB split will. A more traditional BB/hypertrophy approach will get you bigger, but give you slower strength gains, although I think strength evens out over the long-haul (~3 yrs or so). Having only been lifting for 4 months you're going to continue to see gains regardless, but your mass gains will eventually slow way down unless you start working in sets of 3-4x8-12.

Personally, I'm doing something very similar to Wendler's mod with 5x5 on the base lifts. I did nothing but SS for about 6 months though. It didn't take me very long to get back up to 1.5x body weight on my bench & squat.

No offense but I can almost assure you that your clean form sucks. :p Most of the Olympic lifts are very hard to learn without coaching. I'm actually in the process of trying to get in with a coach (hopefully Gayle Hatch from above) for some training for this reason. I wouldn't suggest doing all that, but it'll certainly help if you can get some form checks and advice from someone with a clue. r/weightroom does this but who knows on the quality of input.

Milk and bread I typically avoid all together unless I'm bulking, but yeah you'd probably want whole. A lot of people stay away from the rBST-free milk as well, in hopes they get some effect from the igf-1. Not sure how bro-sciency that is though. Not sure on Nutella either but natural peanut butter is good shit for adding to shakes.

Other than that just eat a ton of lean protein. Figure out your LBM and eat that in grams of protein every day. Shakes are OK in a pinch or post workout, but food is superior in terms of protein digestibility. You may want to look into macro ratios as well. If not, simply logging what you eat is sufficient.

Dead Set

Kang of Pang
Premium
Doesn't this contain DMAA? I'd stick with something ephedrine based if so. Hell, even albuterol seems more appealing that that stuff. Beta agonist are typically better than basic stims.
That's Jack3d.

Some people swear by it, I like NO-X.

Faust

5x5 works incredibly well; in fact, 3x5/5x5 is how power and Olympic lifters train. I prefer this over bodybuilding routines initially for the reason that almost everything you do works your core and assistance muscles in addition to the target. Even the presses work lower back, abs and obliques if done correctly (bench with power lifting form, squeeze your abs and ass for military press etc).

It really depends on what your goals are though. 5x5 is great for building a base of full body strength, but isn't going to get you as big as a traditional BB split will. A more traditional BB/hypertrophy approach will get you bigger, but give you slower strength gains, although I think strength evens out over the long-haul (~3 yrs or so). Having only been lifting for 4 months you're going to continue to see gains regardless, but your mass gains will eventually slow way down unless you start working in sets of 3-4x8-12.

Personally, I'm doing something very similar to Wendler's mod with 5x5 on the base lifts. I did nothing but SS for about 6 months though. It didn't take me very long to get back up to 1.5x body weight on my bench & squat.

No offense but I can almost assure you that your clean form sucks. :p Most of the Olympic lifts are very hard to learn without coaching. I'm actually in the process of trying to get in with a coach (hopefully Gayle Hatch from above) for some training for this reason. I wouldn't suggest doing all that, but it'll certainly help if you can get some form checks and advice from someone with a clue. r/weightroom does this but who knows on the quality of input.

Milk and bread I typically avoid all together unless I'm bulking, but yeah you'd probably want whole. A lot of people stay away from the rBST-free milk as well, in hopes they get some effect from the igf-1. Not sure how bro-sciency that is though. Not sure on Nutella either but natural peanut butter is good shit for adding to shakes.

Other than that just eat a ton of lean protein. Figure out your LBM and eat that in grams of protein every day. Shakes are OK in a pinch or post workout, but food is superior in terms of protein digestibility. You may want to look into macro ratios as well. If not, simply logging what you eat is sufficient.
Good to hear, i'll be switching it up to 5X5 on my next lift day, which is tomorrow. I'm a small guy, I like being a small guy, I just want to be a fit, strong, but still fairly slender guy. I dig it, as far as aesthetic is concerned. I've never wanted to be built like a brick house or kitchen sink or anything of the like.

And yeah, i'm sure my clean form sucks, but i'm sure it's at least passable. I did it as a major part of my weight lifting regimen for about 4 years, when I had a coach who was an Olympic weight lifter in his prime. Granted, building had never been a priority before for me, so who knows how seriously I took it, but yeah, i'm sure my form sucks. I still throw the weight passably though, i'll bet. :p

Any reason you avoid bread? Just to avoid an excess of carbs and load more on protein/fats?