WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

WTF Fitness: workouts, diet, supplements etc

Spaced Man

WTFus is the Ruckus
Well, I'm starting to make progress now. Started walking 5 miles every day to get my legs used to being active again, and I managed to run a mile in just under 10 minutes, which is about half of what I pull off when I'm walking, so baby steps. Finally learned the good form of push ups, so those are becoming much more effective. When I get the chance I do stair runs, much more effective than regular running, to me. Started doing up-downs (I think other people call them burpees), and that exercise is something else. This is on the cusp of learning that I recently gained 15 pounds from simply being lazy. It's time to change that. I'm doing it slowly though, baby steps. I suppose the next step would be to eat healthier. Are there any good (sweet) alternatives to soda, or am I just better off drinking water with the majority of my meals?

Shanananaaa

Bacon
Just ditch soda altogether. Your body will thank you, and eventually you wont miss it. I did it 4 years ago. Now when we are somewhere and the only thing we have to sip on is soda I take one sip and it grosses me out. Reading the ingredients is enough to turn my stomach anymore.

Shanananaaa

Bacon
Sugars = carbs. You want to be consuming more protein than carbs and getting your carbs from good sources like whole grains. You should avoid consuming beverages with calories at all when you can. I limit my beverage calories to milk and the occasional small glass of juice. Sugar free stuff is just loaded with artificial sweeteners, which aren't any better for you.

Spaced Man

WTFus is the Ruckus
Cool, thanks. I've been wondering why I wasn't seeing much results after quitting soda, and that's because I was drinking Kool-Aid like a dumbass, lol. Qutting surgery drinks shouldn't be that hard though. Next step: Figure out a way to exercise a lot without making my thighs bleed. Now that is some painful shit.

Quint

Banned - What an Asshat!
Is a dry cough after running normal?
Is a frog's ass water tight?

I think being healthy is great. That's why I have to jump in here and say that symmetry and aesthetic are not necessarily indicators of good health. Many diets will make you drop weight. They will not improve your overall health. They will not help you keep weight off. Low calorie/high carbohydrate diets are some of the most controversial, and for good reason. They conflict with hard science.

Up to 5 small meals a day, never "filling up", consuming foods from the food pyramid, and 2,000-3,000 calories a day (more or less for some) is a proven way to help stay healthy. I guess that's not hip, though. Actual health is for conformists. I want a diet as artful as my personality. :roflmao:

• 1LOL
Reactions: Spaced Man

MadHatterMad

a.k.a. ZoeMonster
Ok so probably quite the opposite of most of America but I need to gain weight! 28 years ood and Im a mere 140 lbs. Doctor recomended a 7-10k calorie diet a day but honestly I can choke down 5-6k at max. I can put on about 6-7 lbs after a week or so of nothing but fast food, beer, and tons of bread. But, I lose those 6-7 lbs shortly after....frustrating to say the least. I was stabbed at the age of 21 and the surgeon who stitched me up said I would never be the same again due to the nature of the surgery/injuries. I was around 175 lbs before the stabbing and would love to get back there again. My question to any of you who might choose to insult or respond intelligently is: Do you think the my surgery and injuries are directly affecting my ability to forcefully put on pounds? Also...any tips for putting on some pounds? Ive been trying for about 2 monthsto gain weight only to end up back at 140....again.={} I do work out but nothing heavy. 75 diamond push-ups morning and evening. 30 ea Crunches/sit ups/side to sides. Occasionally I do lunges, mostly power squats 15 ea 2 sets. I don't do cardio as i recently quit smoking and was told it burns to many calories for someone wanting to gain weight. Any help would be awesome.

• 1Helpful
Reactions: Lioness

danNJ732

Bitter and Morbid
Ok so probably quite the opposite of most of America but I need to gain weight! 28 years ood and Im a mere 140 lbs. Doctor recomended a 7-10k calorie diet a day but honestly I can choke down 5-6k at max. I can put on about 6-7 lbs after a week or so of nothing but fast food, beer, and tons of bread. But, I lose those 6-7 lbs shortly after....frustrating to say the least. I was stabbed at the age of 21 and the surgeon who stitched me up said I would never be the same again due to the nature of the surgery/injuries. I was around 175 lbs before the stabbing and would love to get back there again. My question to any of you who might choose to insult or respond intelligently is: Do you think the my surgery and injuries are directly affecting my ability to forcefully put on pounds? Also...any tips for putting on some pounds? Ive been trying for about 2 monthsto gain weight only to end up back at 140....again.={} I do work out but nothing heavy. 75 diamond push-ups morning and evening. 30 ea Crunches/sit ups/side to sides. Occasionally I do lunges, mostly power squats 15 ea 2 sets. I don't do cardio as i recently quit smoking and was told it burns to many calories for someone wanting to gain weight. Any help would be awesome.
I know how this can be, i've done workouts and had 0 shift in weight after a few weeks of intense training. I was in better shape but didnt look any different. However, you can try personal "log pt" training, get a 50lb and 75lb log.

Suffer hard my brother....

meltinginNM

Not Otherwise Specified
Ok so probably quite the opposite of most of America but I need to gain weight! 28 years ood and Im a mere 140 lbs. Doctor recomended a 7-10k calorie diet a day but honestly I can choke down 5-6k at max. I can put on about 6-7 lbs after a week or so of nothing but fast food, beer, and tons of bread. But, I lose those 6-7 lbs shortly after....frustrating to say the least.
I used to have the same problem (true story), and it really was frustrating. Then I found the all-you-can-eat buffet, beer, and the television remote. Now (80 lbs and 10 years later) I am a fat fuck. Meh.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
So, I'm going to be starting Insanity next week.

This is going to hurt.
Have you done any of the other BeachBody workouts before, like P90X or even their basic program PowerHour?
From my experience with both cardio workouts, Insanity is a notch or two above what P90X (original program) is.
It might hurt the first week or so, but it'll be a good hurt after you get into it.

Danni

Derp in the North
Premium
Have you done any of the other BeachBody workouts before, like P90X or even their basic program PowerHour?
From my experience with both cardio workouts, Insanity is a notch or two above what P90X (original program) is.
It might hurt the first week or so, but it'll be a good hurt after you get into it.
No, I haven't, although I'm not a stranger to ridiculous workouts. Things like that happen when your platoons both in basic training AND your job training in the Army ALWAYS get in trouble. It's about time I got back on the fit wagon. Might as well challenge my body while I'm at it.

• 1Like
Reactions: BRiT

Lavie

Tenderony
I'm trying to get rid of mom-tummy, get overall stronger, and have a nice booty. Not trying to lose weight as I weigh 115 at 5'3".

I don't really know what I'm doing. Don't know much about fitness. I just know people say cardio, cardio, cardio, with some strength training (but what exactly is strength training?).

Right now I workout 3-4 days a week. I do 20-30 minutes of jogging and walking on treadmill. After that I move onto squats and lots of ab exercises. Whenever I can make it to the gym, I do arm exercises too.

I'm also trying to transition into eating 5 small meals a day instead of 3 large ones.

If anyone has fitness tips let me know!

Shanananaaa

Bacon
@Lavie want an ass? Squat with weights.

As for losing weight and eating better, I lost 50 pounds doing the following: staying away from processed foods, eating lots of fresh veggies and fruits, lean meats, no processed meats (sausage, bacon, hot dogs, bratwurst), healthy snacking often (my popular choices were almonds, apples with natural peanut butter, and nature valley crunchy granola bars), quit drinking calories (I cut my liquids to mostly water with the occasional glass of milk). If you are going to say carbs, go easy on them unless you are working out hard that day, in which case eat them a couple hours before you work out and load up on protein afterwards.

• 1Like
Reactions: Lavie

BluThundur

Shameful Communist
http://www.soylent.me/

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? The idea that I could live on this stuff alone and not worry about the hassle of food fascinates me. I want to try it.

PS - Is it a necro post if it's in a stickied thread?

pissed 'n horny

Preferred Parking
So I had a baby two months ago and it's time for me to start working out again. I previously rode my bike about eight miles a day to and from work and my job was relatively physical which kept me in pretty good shape. Now it is difficult to get out and get a good hour or so in since I'm playing mommy. I have a few areas I would like to work on while baby is chillin or napping but can't dedicate an hour or so to working out. I have to do what I can with the tenish minutes I get several times a day. Firstly, I need a butt lift, I don't want to loose my butt just lift it. Also, my upper back side area is a bit flabby. You know those people with the rolls under their bras ... I am one of them now. So my question is, what can I do in the few minutes i get a few times a day to work on these areas?

Jung

???
Premium
Just getting back into oly lifting, since I'm near a proper gym with bumper plates again.

sausage, bacon, hot dogs, bratwurst
Processed proteins aren't necessarily bad; you could lose weight eating a lb of bacon every morning, if you cut carbs. Bacon is like a keto super food. It's all in how you break down your macros. When I'm cutting I only eat like 50-100g of carbs a day.

But yeah, lift weights if you want to lose weight. Cardio is for heart health. Weight training has a more pronounced, and prolonged, effect on calorie expenditure and hormonal response.

Firstly, I need a butt lift, I don't want to loose my butt just lift it.
Squat with heavy weights.
Also, my upper back side area is a bit flabby. You know those people with the rolls under their bras ... I am one of them now.
You can't target fat loss without crazy research drugs. You just have to lose enough so problem areas disappear.

Last edited: