WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

WTF Fitness: workouts, diet, supplements etc

BridgetteH

Particinator
I stick to a moderate to low-carb plant-based diet. I don't consume refined sugars, because it's seriously toxic crap. I haven't been exercising lately, but hope to pick up yoga again and some daily walking. I was going to take belly dancing classes, but the ones here are $40 a class, a week! :confused:

Yet somehow I'm the most toned I've ever been, with the lowest amount of body fat (even after a bout of being underweight in highschool from an eating disorder), so I can't complain. I think low-carb is the biggest factor for me. Maybe if I'd move my lazy ass I'd be more toned.

The only supplements I take are curcumin pills, and I guess I sort of supplement with coconut aminos in nearly every meal I eat as they provide 16-17 necessary amino acids.
The gains are loverly, though.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSm99TcB7KO/

Last edited:

Danni

Catmom
Premium
Started a modified ketogenic / LCHF run a few weeks ago. 12lbs lost so far.

TheRover

Mostly_Liquid
Go for crazy runs take hard roots with obstacles, off the beaten track so to speak, Go up hills on my tiptoes because thats what the para's do, have sprint bursts . Run for hours in the woods, over fields, across streams

Ball Masher

D is for Lysdexia
Excercise: Most of my exercise comes from Brazilian jiu-jitsu and wrestling. Right now I train 3x a week hard, and during the past school year I was training 6x a week, although not as hard since I like having a body that functions properly. Right now I mostly tutor at a college but I also have a landscaping job that keeps me active.

Diet: Vegetarian but with meat. i.e.) lots of greens, beans, stir fry, with a healthy dose of meat and alcohol. I do like me some taco bell and wendy's in a hurry, but I try to eat mostly healthy food so I don't feel like garbage when I train.

I'm 5'5", stocky, went from 148 to 138 just since march when I decided to stop doing lazy jiu-jitsu and start moving like a fast, little guy. The only real diet change I made in march was to never try to finish my plate. Even if there's 3 bites left, just throw that shit in a plastic container and crack an egg over it in the morning.

Crazizniac

Particinator
Go for crazy runs take hard roots with obstacles, off the beaten track so to speak, Go up hills on my tiptoes because thats what the para's do, have sprint bursts . Run for hours in the woods, over fields, across streams
My Brother has tried to talk me into doing ultra- marathons with him, have you done any 100+km events or do you just do solitary work?

TheRover

Mostly_Liquid
My Brother has tried to talk me into doing ultra- marathons with him, have you done any 100+km events or do you just do solitary work?
I was talking about myself in a past tense, it was a cheap trick not to mention that I know but it felt good to pretend I still try to be healthy.. I used to do it on my own or with the dog... once I started climbing a cliff and got stuck halfway up the cliff for about 2 hours, it was fucking terrifying.

Jung

???
Premium
I've got this new addition to my routine that I like to call lift-swing-slam. It basically goes like this:

Equipment:
weighted handle jump rope
10lb medicine ball
10lb and 15lb kettlebells
10lb dumbbell
Bar (5lb) with plates (usually racked 15-25 depending on move)
Resistance band (hardest)

Rotate between each of these moves without breaks other than to switch gear/change weight and get quick sips of water, 25-30 minutes.

200-300 count jump rope warmup

Lift: (deadlift (25), single leg Romanian deadlift (10), squat both front and back loaded (20), row (20), overhead press (15), curl (15))
Swing: alt between the 15lb and the 10lb, starting with the 15
Slam: overhead or side slam (both sides each time for side)

All are done until failure except deadlifts start at 8 and go one less each round.

When I'm at the point where I'm dead and my form is starting to suffer, I stop and put the resistance band around my legs right below the knees; I squat and do shuffles back and forth across the driveway, 8 steps each way, until my legs are burning pretty good as a finisher.

I did this today. It wasn't hot outside at all, and I was so sweaty when I was done my arms were dripping.

10/10 do recommend.

Also, medicine ball slams are cathartic.

Ball Masher

D is for Lysdexia
I've been doing a ketogenic diet for a year and half now and it's been amazing.
Have you noticed any differences with athletic performance/lowered peak output? I've heard amazing things about keto for weight loss and general health but not so much for athletics.

Have you noticed any differences with athletic performance/lowered peak output? I've heard amazing things about keto for weight loss and general health but not so much for athletics.
I haven't experienced any issues, but that's because my coach drilled into me the importance of electrolytes when it comes keto

Ball Masher

D is for Lysdexia

Jung

???
Premium
Unless you're running marathons you're not going to notice. There are a lot of body builders and strength athletes that do keto or CKD year round.

You can still take post work out carbs and remain in keto. You just have to find your tolerance... I can go up to about 100g a day without dropping out.

Ball Masher

D is for Lysdexia
Unless you're running marathons you're not going to notice. There are a lot of body builders and strength athletes that do keto or CKD year round.

You can still take post work out carbs and remain in keto. You just have to find your tolerance... I can go up to about 100g a day without dropping out.
I might have to experiment with my tolerance. Outside of the occasional sub, I mostly got all my carbs from beans this past year. I was probably somewhere a little above 100g a day so maybe I was even approaching it. Might give it a try, might make linguine with white wine sauce. Only time will tell.

Bauber

Captain Love
Has anyone here ever competed in bodybuilding or such?

After a talk with a sports nutritionist, I've been working on hitting a good macro balance while eating 2000-2500 calories a day. I pretty much have myself in a set diet that hits the balance almost perfectly, with some small variation here and there.

Breakfast: 4 eggs (2 whole, 2 white) scrambled, 3 pieces turkey bacon, 8 oz Simply Orange juice

Lunch 1: sautèd and spiced chickpeas (half a can) and sliced zucchini (half a medium sized one)

Lunch 2: salad containing: 3 cups spring mix greens, 4-5 pecans broken up, 3 strawberries sliced, 2 tbsp herbed feta, 1 tbsp hulled hemp seeds, 2 tbsp raspberry vinaigrette

Dinner: either sliced and pan fried chicken breast or homemade tuna burgers (1 pouch tuna in water, 2 tbsp Italian herb bread crumbs, 1 egg, paprika, minced garlic, cumin, dash of Franks), green veggie mix (broccoli, green beans, green pepper), rice (either wild rice mix or a blend that contains quinoa, brown rice, flax seed, and chia), topped with 3 cups wilted baby spinach

Post workout: Core Power (protein shake)

Snacks throughout the day: apples (sometimes with peanut butter to dip if I need more fats), nature valley crunchy peanut butter granola bars, tuna or chicken salad with whole wheat crackers, edamame, bananas, hummus w/ Greek style whole wheat pita

Once a week I take Nora to the local French bakery and get myself a large Macaron aux Fruits and a coffee as a treat.

I've been on this particular trip for a month now. It plus lifting, I'm seeing good results. I've lost 22 pounds so far, and am looking to lose about 15 more then start building muscle.

BridgetteH

Particinator