WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

WTF happened to my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipsed

The Eclipsed One
I have a fresh copy of Windows Home Edition, with a bunch of shit installed (Yahoo, AIM, Steam, Limewire, Norton AV Pro) on a Dell Dimension 8200 (don't fucking criticize it, it's good enough for me). I went on Steam and loaded up my favorite level of HL2 (again, don't criticize me, I am my own person). Right when the loading is done, the screen goes black and the computer restarts. This also happens when loading up a Java-based game, which remains anonymous. So, what the hell is wrong with my computer?

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Windows.

But you're your own person. :rolleyes:

Descent

Hella Constipated
screw_ball said:
Windows.

But you're your own person. :rolleyes:
Fag, he's having GPU lockups. I've dealt with this shit before. And enough of your Linux bullshit, the amount of problems I hear about over AIM dwarfs mine. It's getting old man, seriously.

What GPU are you running in your machine? If it's a GeForce4 Ti, ATI Radeon 9500 or up, ATi X series, GeForceFX, or GeForce 6 series card, try swapping out the PSU.

Or disable that fucking option to reboot after a system crash. God, I hate that shit.

Eclipsed

The Eclipsed One
Descent said:
Fag, he's having GPU lockups. I've dealt with this shit before. And enough of your Linux bullshit, the amount of problems I hear about over AIM dwarfs mine. It's getting old man, seriously.

What GPU are you running in your machine? If it's a GeForce4 Ti, ATI Radeon 9500 or up, ATi X series, GeForceFX, or GeForce 6 series card, try swapping out the PSU.

Or disable that fucking option to reboot after a system crash. God, I hate that shit.
It's a MSI GeForce FX 5200-TD128.

And what do you mean by swapping out the PSU? Sorry, but I'm not that technically advanced. I know how to *use* computers, not *build* them.

edit: This started to happen about a few weeks ago. It stopped for some time, then appeared again. I bet it's the video drivers. I can't upgrade them anymore because HL2 has a problem with one of the newer Nvidia drivers and won't start (I think they did that on purpose to promote ATI). Funny thing is, when I run Battlefield 2 everything is fine (probably because they support Geforce cards).

Edit again: I have an old PNY Geforce FX 5500, I'll try switching the two and see if that works.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Eclipsed said:
It's a MSI GeForce FX 5200-TD128.

And what do you mean by swapping out the PSU? Sorry, but I'm not that technically advanced. I know how to *use* computers, not *build* them.

edit: This started to happen about a few weeks ago. It stopped for some time, then appeared again. I bet it's the video drivers. I can't upgrade them anymore because HL2 has a problem with one of the newer Nvidia drivers and won't start (I think they did that on purpose to promote ATI). Funny thing is, when I run Battlefield 2 everything is fine (probably because they support Geforce cards).

Edit again: I have an old PNY Geforce FX 5500, I'll try switching the two and see if that works.
The PSU is the Power Supply Unit. Dell uses proprietary setups. You can't just swap them out so disregard that advice. You'd have to find one made for Dell.

Other things to do would be to turn off the reboot at fatal error option. Right click on my computer, click properties, click the advanced tab. Under Startup and Recovery click settings. On the lower half of the screen in the "System failure" box uncheck Automatically restart."

When it crashes you'll get some crap on your screen. Write it down. Reboot and look it up. See if that gives you any ideas.

Try downloading a newer version of the Nvidia drivers. They have an archive so you can get one that you don't think will cause problems.

jamesp

In Memory...
Nice, Descent.:thumbsup: Me and Jung can be software, but you are definitely hardware. You too Uber.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
The PSU is the Power Supply Unit. Dell uses proprietary setups. You can't just swap them out so disregard that advice. You'd have to find one made for Dell.

Other things to do would be to turn off the reboot at fatal error option. Right click on my computer, click properties, click the advanced tab. Under Startup and Recovery click settings. On the lower half of the screen in the "System failure" box uncheck Automatically restart."

When it crashes you'll get some crap on your screen. Write it down. Reboot and look it up. See if that gives you any ideas.

Try downloading a newer version of the Nvidia drivers. They have an archive so you can get one that you don't think will cause problems.
Dude, I probobly know about Dimensions more than you do. Dell Dimension desktops are my specialty.

And the only ones that use a standard ATX PSU are the 4300/4400/4700/8200/8300/OptiPlex GX400 models, and we have a 4400 in our house.

And here's a heads up Eclipsed, my brother runs a 5900XT, and he had the exact same problem with HL2 not running. To fix it he upgraded his drivers.

This power supply will fit your Dell case with no issues, if the PSU is at fault. The Dimensions have a metal panel that prevents any power supply with a power switch from being installed. This PSU is also a Fortron/Sparkle PSU, who are among the best on the market.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104988

jamesp said:
Nice, Descent. Me and Jung can be software, but you are definitely hardware. You too Uber.
Thanks!

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
Dude, I probobly know about Dimensions more than you do. Dell Dimension desktops are my specialty.
Dude, you don't know how to keep your own shit running, I don't think a Dell anything is your specialty.

Descent said:
This power supply will fit your Dell case with no issues, if the PSU is at fault. The Dimensions have a metal panel that prevents any power supply with a power switch from being installed. This PSU is also a Fortron/Sparkle PSU, who are among the best on the market.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104988
And you just proved my point didn't you? You have to buy a special power supply to fit in there. Because Dell uses proprietary formats. Thanks for making my point for me.

Now, just randomly buying shit for the computer without rhyme or reason to fix a problem is fucking stupid. Until you know WHAT the problem is, purchasing new equipment is like flushing money down the toilet.

Most likely it's NOT a PSU problem. The computer runs BF2 without crashing just fine. If it were a PSU problem you'd see the same issue there. That's not to say the PSU couldn't be the source... but I wouldn't just slap a new on in there yet.

I'd still try the newer drivers and check to see if any error messages give you a hint.

Jung

???
Premium
These are the newest Nvidia drivers, I'd give them a shot. I've been running them for a few days now and everything works just fine.

Don't listen to Descent, this probably IS NOT a power supply problem.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
Dude, you don't know how to keep your own shit running, I don't think a Dell anything is your specialty.

And you just proved my point didn't you? You have to buy a special power supply to fit in there. Because Dell uses proprietary formats. Thanks for making my point for me.

Now, just randomly buying shit for the computer without rhyme or reason to fix a problem is fucking stupid. Until you know WHAT the problem is, purchasing new equipment is like flushing money down the toilet.

Most likely it's NOT a PSU problem. The computer runs BF2 without crashing just fine. If it were a PSU problem you'd see the same issue there. That's not to say the PSU couldn't be the source... but I wouldn't just slap a new on in there yet.

I'd still try the newer drivers and check to see if any error messages give you a hint.
Like I said, try the newer drivers first.

And when it comes to propreitary PSU's, that usually refers to pinout or form factor. And the newer Dells are 100% complaint for both - you just can't use a PSU with a switch.

Now, the HP's don't have this plate, but a 250w (370w) Bestec HP PSU fits in a Dell with no issues.

So are you calling these all propreitary? Because they aren't.

And I haven't even had a hardware problem since January, when I abandoned the crappy parts in my machine. I did nick my video card and motherboard with conductant but guess what, they're working now thanks to rubbing alcohol.

Eclipsed

The Eclipsed One
Descent said:
Like I said, try the newer drivers first.

And when it comes to propreitary PSU's, that usually refers to pinout or form factor. And the newer Dells are 100% complaint for both - you just can't use a PSU with a switch.

Now, the HP's don't have this plate, but a 250w (370w) Bestec HP PSU fits in a Dell with no issues.

So are you calling these all propreitary? Because they aren't.

And I haven't even had a hardware problem since January, when I abandoned the crappy parts in my machine. I did nick my video card and motherboard with conductant but guess what, they're working now thanks to rubbing alcohol.
Ok, when did this hardware help forum turn into a debate over wether or not a normal PSU fits inside a Dell Dimension?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Eclipsed said:
Ok, when did this hardware help forum turn into a debate over wether or not a normal PSU fits inside a Dell Dimension?
When Descent had to spout off with crap advice and isn't able or willing to accept the fact that it was crap.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
When Descent had to spout off with crap advice and isn't able or willing to accept the fact that it was crap.
:rotflmao:

I'm in a REALLY bad mood now, don't fucking test me.

I already admitted that "he should try the drivers first," nevermind the fact that you have never fucking USED a Dell Dimension, because clearly you haven't a clue what the word "PROPREITARY" means or how the PSU mounts.

You could always see the latter by plugging in and installing the fucking unit. So why are you talking trash?

I already proved you wrong twice now...Enough of the fucking attitude problem.

EDIT: FYI do NOT get into these kinds of custom hardware discussions with me, early model Presarios and late model Dimensions are my specialty and you won't fucking win.
Junglizm said:
Don't listen to Descent, this probably IS NOT a power supply problem.
I know it isn't now, but his original post was a replica of the problems I had with my 9600XT and a dying PSU.

Jung

???
Premium
Jesus, you fucking people need to go outside for a while or something.

P.S. Descent, shut up.

Jung

???
Premium
Problem resolved, closing this trainwreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.