WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

WTF?!?: Our Colony [Xbox 2 / XBox 360]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
This site http://www.ourcolony.net/ is apparently related to the next Xbox. It's very cryptic - honestly, I have no idea what the deal is, but I started a "colony" anyway and apparently there is an objective. Take a moment to check it out and join the "Voodoo children" colony. The password is 28285930. We need 5 people to start -- spread it around as much as you can.

Explore see if you can figure it out. Here's a little snippet I found on Gamespot:

How does one win? Do the still-unnamed viral-marketing firm's legwork and spread the word about Ourcolony.net. After starting a colony, players of the not-an-alternate reality who recruit five to the colony game will get their first "challenge," and will receive more challenges as they recruit more members to join the ad campaign/game. "You're not going to make it to the end if you try to solo this, there's strength in numbers," reads Gamem8ker's message.

The second connection to Microsoft has to do with the rewards doled out to colonies that win challenges. According to posts in the Ourcolony.net forums, challenge winners receive partial pictures of what looks like a white version of a redesigned Xbox controller. Currently, only two images are available--both in a folder marked "thesecret" on the site's directory. The first [ http://www.ourcolony.net/thesecret/1.jpg ] looks like a thumbstick above a D pad. The second [ http://www.ourcolony.net/thesecret/2.jpg ] shows the D pad in more detail, just above a curved edge in what appears to be the middle of a controller. When combined and compared to a current-generation S-controller [ http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/06/screens_6121811.html?page=1 ], the images exhibit a distinctly Xbox-ian layout and feel, although the start and back buttons appear to be missing. As the Ourcolony.net competition progresses, it is almost certain that more pictures of the controller--and perhaps its console--will surface.

The Ourcolony.net-Microsoft connection is also circumstantially backed up by the fact that most colonies already involved in the game are linked to the box in some way, either in the form of Xbox Live clans or Xbox fan sites.

While obvious, the connection between Ourcolony.net and Microsoft is not official--and likely won't be before E3. When presented with the images from Ourcolony.net and the site's similarities with Ilovebees.com, a Microsoft spokesperson would only give the following statement: "We're aware of the fact that Ourcolony.net has captured the imagination of thousands of gamers across the world, and that these gamers have taken control of the site and are making it their own."

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
The First Challenge

The first challenge was
a picture of the XBox's buttons of (X)(Y)(X)(X)(X)(Y).

The answer was
"Izuna Drop". This comes from the game Ninja Gaiden.

We have yet to get our next challenge. I'm anxious to see what they have in the queue.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
join the "Voodoo children" colony. The password is 28285930
but, it won't let me in? how can i join your cult if i'm not authorized to enter! please double checky.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
The Second Challenge

The second challenge is
In 79, two rods can save the family.

BRoken:
robotron

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
BRiT said:
The second challenge is
In 79, two rods can save the family.
1979 cooling rods at Three Mile Island?

1879 Copus Massacre

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I tried the first suggestion nearly immediately, with no luck. Tried second one with no luck either. Even went on to other variations.

Trying to figure out some reference to the xbox or an xbox game, but I'm drawing a blank.

Broken

A rod is a measurement.. I think it's like an Acre or something. I am drawing a blank as well.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I'm not so sure 79 is meant as a definitive year. I'm looking for through a list of games with numbers in them...

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
ok i signed up, hope it helped you.
i don't actually have to do anything do i? <<<not much of a gamer>>>

The

The Post Says....
gurlgonewild said:
ok i signed up, hope it helped you.
i don't actually have to do anything do i? <<<not much of a gamer>>>
I signed up too just to let you know

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
This is sort of a puzzle-based challenge. Each day or two they come up with new challenges/riddles that seem to be game-related. By answering the challenges correctly, the team gains points.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Third Challenge

The third challenge is the following picture with the hint
like truth, a little harder to find

The answer is
"reset reality" The white lines in the picture form a barcode in CODE 39, that when decoded reads: 312.718.8609. Call the number and listen to the message.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
ok for the third challenge i'm getting aaci.org when you zoom in...its the asian americans for community involvement. but i dont know how the "solutions" are supposed to be structured.

Broken

when is brit going to give us the next puzzle, and why can't I log on to the colony? Huh Brit? Huh

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
You never get logged out of the colony...if you signed up then you're always in..
..why the black bars though?....oh god...i'm doing it too?

Broken

BRiT said:
The third challenge is the following picture with the hint
like truth, a little harder to find

The answer is
"reset reality" The white lines in the picture form a barcode in CODE 39 font, that when decoded reads: 312.718.8609. Call the number and listen to the message.
It's code 3/9..

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
The Next Challenge

The next challenge is out. It's the following image: Challenge

It's been confirmed that Kristen Rutherford website, linked from a piece of paper on the desk, has nothing to do with the challenge. She's posted in a few places asking people to stop emailing, calling her, and trying to stop by. I'm thinking it has something to do with the word-find, like it's a Vigene Square Cipher or some other Cipher.

Broken

Heres a really big clue:

If you want the answer it's here:

The word "Yourself" spell out on the phonepad.

Also we are now given this pic

We really need more people helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.