WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

WTF Questions / Comments that don't deserve their own threads [2016+]

CoprophagousCop

Social Distancing Warrior
Premium
What made you think it should be far?
I did not see "fal" used anywhere else in the page source. The Find feature failed me! :redface:

I did not even notice that the bullhorn appears in the upper-right upper-left corner of the shoutbox and uses the same code to display it. :fpalm:

Perhaps the problem lies within using the <button> tag. :shrug:

Last edited:
  • 1Helpful
Reactions: Jason

CoprophagousCop

Premium
It's actually on the upper left hand side, Mista Busta.
I was actually lying awake in bed just now when I realized that I had written "upper-right", so I logged on to correct my mistake. Ever since that chapter on the human heart in high school biology, I have gotten left and right mixed up. The left ventricle was pictured on the right and the right ventricle was pictured on the left. My brain was scarred for life!

Also, maybe the buttons are just not large enough to display the bullhorn and smile icons. :shrug:

:kickcan:

BeautifulSniper

Lovely and deadly
I was actually lying awake in bed just now when I realized that I had written "upper-right", so I logged on to correct my mistake. Ever since that chapter on the human heart in high school biology, I have gotten left and right mixed up. The left ventricle was pictured on the right and the right ventricle was pictured on the left. My brain was scarred for life!
I never understood people who played inverted controls in video games. Those people that press down to look up, and press up to look down.

CoprophagousCop

Premium
Why do images, that are saved as attachments, appear as thumbnails when I view this site without logging in? Furthermore, if I click on the thumbnails, it tells me "You must be logged-in to do that.". I believe this could be a reason there are so many new members who never post anything. They are forced to create an account just to view full size images. This seems kind of dumb.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: BeautifulSniper

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
Why do images, that are saved as attachments, appear as thumbnails when I view this site without logging in? Furthermore, if I click on the thumbnails, it tells me "You must be logged-in to do that.". I believe this could be a reason there are so many new members who never post anything. They are forced to create an account just to view full size images. This seems kind of dumb.
While that is always a possibility that they register to view something (some even do it to view smiley selections, shoutbox content, member profiles, and other member-only features such as full size images), it also saves on bandwidth and server resources for the guests and search bots. Its generally the standard on many sites and forum software. Doesn't always result in an active member, but that's fine.

With attachments specifically, because you are saving that content to our server and we have to serve the full size image ourselves, it is limited to registered members to view the whole thing. Outside image linking has no such limitation, however that presents other issues like the image going stale and vanishing from the source eventually.

• 1Sad
Reactions: CoprophagousCop

CoprophagousCop

Premium
Doesn't always result in an active member, but that's fine.
I suppose I am just annoyed to see all of the single-use members. Occasionally I will poke fun at their user names, but most never come back to see my whimsical waggery. Forcing people to create an account may lead some people to decide to contribute to this site, but it probably turns away some people as well. Normally when I go to a site that wants me to create an account just to read an article, I end up leaving the site and never go back. I have way too many accounts and passwords to remember as it is, so I avoid making new ones.

Lately, these postless members have been purged after a year or so. If another member posts to a postless member's profile page, does it prevent that postless member from being purged?

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
I suppose I am just annoyed to see all of the single-use members. Occasionally I will poke fun at their user names, but most never come back to see my whimsical waggery. Forcing people to create an account may lead some people to decide to contribute to this site, but it probably turns away some people as well. Normally when I go to a site that wants me to create an account just to read an article, I end up leaving the site and never go back. I have way too many accounts and passwords to remember as it is, so I avoid making new ones.

Lately, these postless members have been purged after a year or so. If another member posts to a postless member's profile page, does it prevent that postless member from being purged?
We may occasionally purge 0 post accounts after a good amount of time, but its a manual process.

If someone posts a message on a members profile, that will not prevent the deletion as the search we do does not specifically look for members with no posts on their profiles. Only a post count of 0, and a significant period of time with no posts. We do not always do this, we only perform this once in a blue moon.

• 1Helpful
Reactions: CoprophagousCop