WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines WWII color pics

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Nice! The P-38 and the P-51 Mustang (plane that won the war) are no doubt, my 2 favorite planes from the WWII time period. The P-51 was versatile and powerful. I saw a mustang in person, at the air show at Gabreski National Air Guard base here in West Hampton. I was in awe, almost brought to tears, thinking about my father. It was used for everything from air superiority roles; to the first of the wild weasel and tank killer modes.
The p-38 was a stable air frame, a joy to fly, and it was a p-38 responsible for the downing of Yamamoto’s aircraft. A key turning point in the pacific war. They decoded a Japanese message and learned where Yamamoto was going, then planned a low level approach (just feet above sea level), located his plane 400 or so mile away and shot it down. There is currently still controversy over which of the 4 planes out of 7 that made it to the target, made the actual kill, but there is no doubt that it was the P-38 lightning that made the kill.

My compliments to you, for bringing these images of such amazing pieces of military hardware to us.

Jung

???
Premium
Awesome, thanks for posting this. :thumbsup:

Best image in the entire gallery.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
I like the yellow airplane. But seriously, I though everything was in black and white back then.

Jung

???
Premium
dustinzgirl said:
I like the yellow airplane. But seriously, I though everything was in black and white back then.
It was, it's probably something like Technicolor.

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
Those are some nice quality fotos from WWII.

extremepilot

Go jerk off or something
P40's kicked ass back then
In China
Under Major General Claire Lee Chennault's command
Also F4U is awesome