WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Xbox Live

This really starting to make me frusterated. First, when signing up, they ask for your credit card so after 12 months they bill you 50$. Then right when I wanna play my Halo2, I think its all over, but wait!? They say I need a map pack which is 18$! I'm losing money over these scamming sons of bitches! I spent about 3 hours putting holes in the wall and cleaning out my closet to install the stupid cable. Then 5 hours trying to sign up because I am careful about my credit card. Couldnt xbox live just be a litle bit more honest and easy with this sort of stuff?

By the way, I haven't downloaded the map pack yet that costs 18$ or whatever.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Xbox is from Microsoft. You were expecting anything better?

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
Nailbomb said:
Damn, you beat me to it. That's why I use ps2. free online gaming. :D

Descent

Hella Constipated
Nailbomb said:
Yeah, free online play SegaNET style. Assholes.

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Edited for relevance.

Jung

???
Premium
St.Anger said:
Then 5 hours trying to sign up because I am careful about my credit card.
That's ridiculous, even for a severely prudent person. A huge corporation such as Microsoft knows nothing about your credit card information, it's all processed by a credit card gateway; they never see your credentials. Actually, that is how all credit transactions are processed. I know because I've written credit card gateways before, and had to adhere to federal and state regulations.

Google for "Electronic Fund Transfer Act" if you want more information. Your state has consumer protection laws to protect you as well.

I'm not trying to correct you, just pointing that out. ;) You shouldn't be scared to make online purchases from reputable businesses.

Comedy trolling option: Buy a computer if you want to play online games, then you only have to pay for a game once to play it. (unless it's an MMO) ;)

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Descent said:
...F-22 Lightning II...
I have number 3, and play online every so often. I suck online. :cool:

/me needs to buy a joystick

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
St.Anger said:
This really starting to make me frusterated. First, when signing up, they ask for your credit card so after 12 months they bill you 50$. Then right when I wanna play my Halo2, I think its all over, but wait!? They say I need a map pack which is 18$! I'm losing money over these scamming sons of bitches! I spent about 3 hours putting holes in the wall and cleaning out my closet to install the stupid cable. Then 5 hours trying to sign up because I am careful about my credit card. Couldnt xbox live just be a litle bit more honest and easy with this sort of stuff?

a) you have to pay for the service...but alot of games (including Halo 2) allow you to have 3 month trials. Try that and see if you like it before you commit to a 12 month service.

b) you dont HAVE to buy the map packs to have a good time. I was fuckin insane at Halo 2 for awhile and I never bought the map packs. It's a rip off if you ask me.

c) It's microsoft, what do you expect?

Janglenut

Particinator
A) Got friends that have bought the map pack disk? I had some and that's how I got em, they really do add a lot more aspect to the game.

B) If you don't want to pay to play xbox online, download and use Xbox connect, it works great. I've been using it for years since I played halo 1.

Janglenut

Particinator
I would suggest using Xbox Connect over Xlink due to the fact Xbox connect is more of the box crowd, with a few PSP users.

Although both would work better.

Copy you play on any of the two?

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
Janglenut said:
I would suggest using Xbox Connect over Xlink due to the fact Xbox connect is more of the box crowd, with a few PSP users.

Although both would work better.

Copy you play on any of the two?
No, not at the moment.

I'm going to soon though.

I had them both setup,but never actually played. :happysad:

sporko06

No ordinary rabbit.
Live is double edged.

Xbox connect is fine but what about when you want a good match in Halo 2 (no modders) and you cant find one? You turn to Xbox live with their strict ass rules and bam there ya go. As far as the price.....well be a very cautious consumer. Use a free two month trial.Then when its about to expire call and complain and say that you been havin trouble with your cable modem and your connections been down. Those idiots will hook you up with two more months just to keep you happy.Works with Comcast as well been doin it for awhile.

Did you miss the day they were free? They had the maps up at no charge for a while (not sure if they still do), but i downloaded them for free.

DSL is terrible with xbox live.. you have got to get cable. When we first got an xBox, I tried that at my dad's office, and the lag is terrible on a 1.1 mbps connection. I'd shoot someone, and then go and pick up the sword they had, and then i'd jump across the map and die.

Then again, I could probably put it on a T1 and it would be just as crappy. Gotta be microsoft..

sporko06

No ordinary rabbit.
Yeah DSL sucks.

DSL sucks because of the damn caps companies put on the bandwidth. Cable is better if you live in a rural area because you have an almost unlimited amount of bandwidth.Thats the good thing about livin in KKK territory.

Jung

???
Premium
sporko06 said:
DSL sucks because of the damn caps companies put on the bandwidth. Cable is better if you live in a rural area because you have an almost unlimited amount of bandwidth.Thats the good thing about livin in KKK territory.

Please don't post unless you know what you're talking about, and you obviously don't.

Both cable and DSL "cap" your bandwidth. And there is no way you get "almost unlimited" bandwidth in rural areas. You more than likely get less than 5Mb download and a fraction of that in upload. Unlimited bandwidth is extremely expensive, especially upload bandwidth; large corporations pay hundreds of thousands of dollars a month for "almost unlimited bandwidth," I seriously doubt you can afford that for your Xbox.

DSL is terrible with xbox live... the lag is terrible on a 1.1 mbps connection.
Your problem was connection speed, not the technology. A decent speed DSL line will handle Live just fine.

Living out in the middle of no where unfortunately doesnt have a "almost unlimited bandwith" perk. I live in the middle of no where and I usually get 400-600Kbs depending on the server, and usually about 10-20Kbs up.

sporko06

No ordinary rabbit.
junglizm said:

Please don't post unless you know what you're talking about, and you obviously don't.

Both cable and DSL "cap" your bandwidth.......

Yes I know that it is not almost unlimited bandwidth but it might as well be cables bandwidth is much higher to an area because everyone in that area has to share the line. Where in DSL each person has a set limit on bandwidth no matter how many people are on it. The cable company will tell you this when they install it.The less people on the cable line the higher your speeds and bandwidth.No not unlimited but far more than Xbox live can use up.Never lagged out of a match.Ever

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
Nailbomb said:
im pissed off, im not into consoles and IM WAITING FOR HALO 2!!!11 where the fuck is it??

Jung

???
Premium
sporko06 said:
Yes I know that it is not almost unlimited bandwidth but it might as well be cables bandwidth is much higher to an area because everyone in that area has to share the line. Where in DSL each person has a set limit on bandwidth no matter how many people are on it. The cable company will tell you this when they install it.The less people on the cable line the higher your speeds and bandwidth.No not unlimited but far more than Xbox live can use up.Never lagged out of a match.Ever
You seem to be repeating something that you heard explained incorrectly, so let me set you straight.

You're partially correct in that cable does have a shared bandwidth pool, but not in the way you seem to think. DSL does as well, they're just handled differently; both limit bandwidth at some level, that's a necessity, but neither are anywhere near unlimited or almost unlimited. And, if anything, a rural area would have less bandwidth and lower speeds due to less or older technology being deployed in the area. The country isn't some magical limitless bandwidth utopia, no matter what you may think.

With older cable networks, you're on a distribution node; this node has a set bandwidth pool, it's set to cover all the customers connected to it. That in no way means that you can hog up all the bandwidth though; your cable modem is limited by a config file it downloads from a TFTP server at boot/sync time. (and possibly a router or switch) These files (and/or settings) limit your download and upload capabilities based on your account. For example, if you have a 3Mb/384Kb line then you will always be limited to that amount of bandwidth. Now, based on network usage your actual download speed may fluctuate anywhere below that limit, but it will never go over it. The shared bandwidth means absolutely nothing to the customer.

With newer DOCSIS cable networks, the only place for bandwidth to actually be "shared" is at the backbone level, because otherwise it’s a pure hardwired connection. It can be shared in the sense that other people use it, but modern HFC networks have no problems with crowding like the more primitive networks of yesterday did. Nor is there any "sharing" of bandwidth in the way you seem to think. In this scenario, bandwidth is limited in more conventional means via routers and switches. This ensures that customers get their allotted bandwidth, or close to it, and that no customers can exceed their allotted limit or “cap.”

It goes something like this: Computer > Cable modem (via Cat-5 or USB) > Head end(via cable lines) > Backbone. (nominal routing hardware) The company I worked for used CUDA 2000 systems connected to Cisco hardware and out to a SONET ring.

DSL is handled a bit differently; it too has a bandwidth pool, but it's regulated at the head end with a DSLAM. (one or a few steps short of the backbone.) Each line is more of a virtual circuit, so it shares bandwidth at a higher level, and there is less fluctuation, but the bandwidth is still limited before it gets to the customer. Again, the bandwidth might fluctuate up and down below the "cap" but it will never go above it.

Bandwidth is finite, no matter if you're playing Xbox on your home connection or running a corporation on multiple bonded T3s or SONET. No ISP is going to design their network in such a way that some customers hog all the bandwidth while others get hardly anything. That might have been true of cable networks 10 years ago, but not today on any semi-modern network. Nor or they going to allow you access to "unlimited" or "almost unlimited" bandwidth, or however else you want to _try_ to explain it.
I don’t doubt that your cable connection might be faster than your DSL was, if that’s what you’re basing this on, but like I told slemair, that has more to do with the actual speed (bandwidth + latency) of the line than the connection type.

You also don’t seem to understand bandwidth vs. speed, but I’ll save that for another thread.

sporko06

No ordinary rabbit.
Taking a figure of speech literally.

Thanks for the lesson the concept was explained to me briefly and incorrectly. But the "unlimited bandwidth" was just a figure of speech I know very well what speeds my line are capable of Up or Down and I also know that I don't but have infinite bandwidth on my line. What I was trying to say is that from experience the Cable is a much better connection and while lagging out of Xbox live matches plenty on the DSL I have never lagged out on the Cable. Thanks for the insight.I was just exaggerating.Phew!