WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

XP obviously owns, to some extent

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
just the thought of installing linux gives me headaches, it's such an ordeal (probably because it was on a 486). BeOS was really fun to use, i had a fucking ball running that particular OS.

reactOS looks promising, but too flaky. most of these alternative operating systems have too many flaws.

i've never had the chance to use OSX, but from what i've heard it has its downfalls, be it shitty browsers, but for some fucked up reason the lastest versions of photoshop are released almost exlusively for this operating system. if i wanted to buy into the whole mac arena i'd buy one of those mac minis. but i'd prefer to have just one computer. the whole idea of networking makes me want to projectile vomit.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I dont know where you heard all that misinformation from, but MacOS has good browsers such as FireFox, Safari, and Opera. It's just a shame that the OS is tied to semi-proprietary hardware platform. We would be fortunate to have a MacOS version for the PC x86 market.

Jung

???
Premium
dookie said:
just the thought of installing linux gives me headaches, it's such an ordeal (probably because it was on a 486).
Linux and BSD have both come a LONG way since those days, you might want to give it another go.
i've never had the chance to use OSX, but from what i've heard it has its downfalls, be it shitty browsers, but for some fucked up reason the lastest versions of photoshop are released almost exlusively for this operating system.
If you're going by Descent's opinion of Safari, don't. Safari is a good browser, although it lacks some functionality of Firefox. It has some pretty good plugins and user scipts as well though. Camino, an OSX only Mozilla browser, is also pretty good.

Also, you've been misinformed about the new Photoshop; Photoshop CS2 was released for both Windows and OSX at the same time.
BRiT said:
It's just a shame that the OS is tied to semi-proprietary hardware platform. We would be fortunate to have a MacOS version for the PC x86 market.
We may not be that far off: http://tinyurl.com/9fus6

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
linux freaks me out, the whole partitioning thing is a colossal nightmare if you don't know what you're doing

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
dookie said:
linux freaks me out, the whole partitioning thing is a colossal nightmare if you don't know what you're doing

It's not that bad. Most installations guides will show you how to create a bare system (partitions and all), and will tell you what, if any, other partitions you may want to create.

Jung

???
Premium
dookie said:
It's not really that hard. You can really run off of just a single ext3 partition. Most people create a swap and a / partition though, but it's not required. Like FireZe said though, most ditros have graphical installers now-days, so it's pretty easy.

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
for some reason i've associated partitionmagic with linux. am i confused or what?

Jung

???
Premium
Partition Magic is a Windows application. You can use it to make Linux partitions, but it's usually easier to just do it with the installer. Some distros like ext3 better than ext2, and some people like other file systems like Reisers or UFS.

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
for some reason, beos totally blew me away. it's similar to linux, and in someways better for imbeciles like me.