WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

xp question

tzedek

Original Member
just setup my newest comp. the one i got for $35. anyway when i go to properties on c:\windows folder i get

Size - 1.93 GB
Size on disk - 1.75 GB

9,436 files, 402 folders.

#1 that seems way to big to me... i know the install isnt that big

#2 wtf is the difference between size and size on disk?

Jung

???
Premium
"Size" is the actual amount of bytes your file is. "Size on disk" is the amount of space needed to store this file. The " size on disk" is dependent on what file system and how the disk is formatted.(FAT/FAT32/NTFS) The file will need to fit into a one or more clusters on the disk, which will be the "size on disk"

Here is a page that gives some info on it. http://www.cpucare.com/FAQS/clustersize.htm

A default XP install is normally that big.

tzedek

Original Member
junglizm said:
A default XP install is normally that big.

really? wow i guess i never noticed that. thanks bro :thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yeah, it's a hard drive hog, compared to older versions.

Just reinstalled 2K3 on my second box...it also uses up 1.7 gigs.

tzedek

Original Member
um, i was having problems with the acpi and i had a memory dumps saved on there. 768,000 megs. after i got rid of that it now reads:

size: 1.26
on disk: 1.08