Headlines Yellow braclets may cause deadly mix up!

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
Whoops!

A hospital chain is taping over patients' LiveStrong wristbands because they are yellow -- the same color as the "do not resuscitate" bands it puts on patients who do not want to be saved if their heart stops.

No mix-ups have been reported, but BayCare Health Systems officials do not want to take any chances.

The popular LiveStrong rubber bracelets are sold through the Lance Armstrong Foundation as part of the champion bicycle racer's efforts to raise money for cancer research.

"It could be confusing, particularly in the situation of a code or a cardiac arrest where people have to think very quickly," said Lisa Johnson, vice president of patient services at Morton Plant Mease Health Care, which is part of the chain. "We wouldn't want to mistake a Lance Armstrong bracelet and not resuscitate someone we're supposed to."

Hospitals use colored bracelets to quickly tell doctors, nurses and other staff special instructions for certain patients. For example, at BayCare Health hospitals purple bands mean the patient is at risk of falling; red means the patient has allergies. Not all hospitals use the same coloring system.

LIKK!

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
I'm glad that they caught that. I see those bracelets as a coolness factor. almost being popular, like you have the bracelets so you care. Its like the shirts that say "You laugh at me cause I'm different, But I laugh at you because your all the same" though If 1 million people have that shirt It loses its meaning. though popularity is a thing that will never change it still sucks for tyhe others. (off topic, but I wanted to say it.)

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
[sky] said:
I'm glad that they caught that. I see those bracelets as a coolness factor. almost being popular, like you have the bracelets so you care. Its like the shirts that say "You laugh at me cause I'm different, But I laugh at you because your all the same" though If 1 million people have that shirt It loses its meaning. though popularity is a thing that will never change it still sucks for tyhe others. (off topic, but I wanted to say it.)
My thoughts exactly. You reminded me of this:

^^ good find twist :cool:

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
[sky] said:

I'm sorry, but if 1 million people buy bracelets that fund cancer research, wouldn't it just enhance the meaning? I'm pretty sure everyone can agree that cancer should be cured.

Thinking > posting.

Anyways, can't they just take the bracelets off, like with clothes, when the patients come in?

ferengi

Yay fire!
Anyone else detect the inklings of a malpractice lawsuit? I can just see the newspaper headline:
"Family awarded $25,000,000 because doctors sat there with their fingers up their ass when a patient's heart stopped."

MaxPower

Baba Yaga
Staff
<--include=personal_Opinion>
%Var_Bracelets&Ribbons=1
%Var_Nausea=1
%Var_NeedMoreOfThem=0

I'm so sick of these fucking bracelets, and dumb ass ribbons. Every time I see someone with 35 different colored bracelets or magnetic ribbons on their car, I want to puke.
Thank god we live in a country where you can express yourself by covering the back of your car in magnetic ribbons that you buy at 7-11. And thank god I can comment on how it annoys me.

I’m going to save these people some money and un-clutter the back of their car; and market a multicolored ribbon that says “Support Fucking Everything”.

<--/include>

Jung

???
Premium
Icarus said:
I'm sorry, but if 1 million people buy bracelets that fund cancer research, wouldn't it just enhance the meaning? I'm pretty sure everyone can agree that cancer should be cured.

Thinking > posting.

Anyways, can't they just take the bracelets off, like with clothes, when the patients come in?
So what would be more beneficial to the cause? 1 million people donating cash/check/etc or 1 million people buying bracelets, which have at least some over head. (figure in shipping costs as well.)

These bracelets aren't the first time people have been able to donate to the cause, it's just a shitty trend. It's really shitty when people need a yellow badge that says "look at me, I donated to fight cancer." just so they'll donate. [When these bracelets aren't cool anymore, I seriously have to wonder how many people will continue to donate.]

Personally, I'll skip the whole bracelet part and put ALL of my money towards the cause. I'd never wear a plastic yellow band anyway...

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
MaxPower said:
I'm so sick of these fucking bracelets, and dumb ass ribbons.

It is the Cult of Sameness: "Please don't let me look any different than the multitude of drones that drive the street in minivans and SUV' with the required Pink, Yellow & Red\White\Blue Ribbons".

Pathetic...

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
junglizm said:
So what would be more beneficial to the cause? 1 million people donating cash/check/etc or 1 million people buying bracelets, which have at least some over head. (figure in shipping costs as well.)

These bracelets aren't the first time people have been able to donate to the cause, it's just a shitty trend. It's really shitty when people need a yellow badge that says "look at me, I donated to fight cancer." just so they'll donate. [When these bracelets aren't cool anymore, I seriously have to wonder how many people will continue to donate.]

Personally, I'll skip the whole bracelet part and put ALL of my money towards the cause. I'd never wear a plastic yellow band anyway...

I'm not saying "buy a yellow bracelet and call yourself a saint", I'm commenting on Sky's post about how multiple people buying a livestrong bracelet cuts away at its meaning. For a cause such as this the saying "every little bit helps" is true. Who cares if it's a shitty trend? If it cures cancer, do you think it would be worth it? Fact is that some people won't "donate" without something material in return.

Jung

???
Premium
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to argue with you. I'm just saying that if I want to donate $2( for example) for cancer, I'm going to donate $2, not buy a bracelet of which maybe $1.50 will actually go to cancer. But yeah, it does annoy me that it takes a shitty trinket to get people to donate money. The trendiness of the bracelets make me sick; nobody really cared until it was cool to wear these bracelets. They're being viewed more as a status symbol or a piece of jewelry, than a token of a donation. It's become more of a "hey, look what I did" thing, and that's not why you should donate. But I digress, money for a good cause is still money for a good cause.

MaxPower

Baba Yaga
Staff
voiceofreason said:
It is the Cult of Sameness: "Please don't let me look any different than the multitude of drones that drive the street in minivans and SUV' with the required Pink, Yellow & Red\White\Blue Ribbons".

Pathetic...

True. I suppose it could be a cultural effect brought on by the "either you're with us or against us" mentality.

Regarding, Pink, Yellow & Red\White\Blue Ribbons:
That's another thing. Has any one seen the recent camouflage color scheme spin-off of the ribbons? I'm waiting till they come out with Realtree®, so I can put one on my tree blind, for when I go bow huntin'.