WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

You might find this interesting if you aren't a good listener

ferengi

Yay fire!
When I was sitting in my Human Communication (basically public speaking) class the other day, out instructor was talking about the importance of listening in the communication process. To really drive the point home, he told us this story.

There was a man who lives in a neighboring city who isn't a very good listener. He has a son who's in elementary school, who he drops off at school every morning. He's the kinda guy who's always running 5 minutes late, so he usually drops his kid off and runs. Well, one morning when he dropped his kid off for school, the teacher came outside and ran after him as he was leaving, trying to yell at him that there was not going to be any school tomorrow, so he would need to find somewhere else to take his kid.

The guy, not paying one bit of attention, said "yeah yeah, okay, I gotta go!"

The next day, he dropped his kid off and sped off for work, same as usual. The kid walked up to the school and tried to open the doors, but they were locked. He looked around, peeked in through the windows, tried different doors, but there was nobody there. Disheartened, the child went and sat on the curb by the school.

Across the street, there was a funeral home. The owner of the funeral home saw the boy sitting on the curb outside of the school, and came out to see what was the matter.

"Hey there, son!" The funeral home owner said. "What's the matter?"

The child replied "There's no school today. My daddy forgot, and left me here on accident."

"Oh really? That's too bad. Do you know your daddy's phone number?"

"Yeah, I have his cell phone number in case of an emergency."

"Well why don't you come on across the street here and we'll give your daddy a call, huh?"

The child went with the man to the funeral home. Upon entering the building, he asked to use the restroom. The man pointed and said "Go ahead, it's down the hall to the left. I'll call your daddy and let him know where you're at so he can come and pick you up."

The man took the piece of paper from the child and dialed the phone. Upon answering, he said "Yes, is this Mr. Johnson? Oh good. This is Mr. Edwards. I have your son here at the funeral home, and..."

Upon these words leaving the man's mouth, the boy's father had a heart attack.

He died en route to the hospital.

If only he had listened to the teacher and not dropped his child off at school that day, he could have saved his own life.

The moral of the story: LISTEN UP!

Awww thats soo sad. Im glad I have parents to listen to me. I guess you should listen to people more often? Like, I dont think im a good listener?!... Wow, I just leart a life-lesson through a forum... wow... :happysad:

ferengi

Yay fire!
Jessica43999 said:
Awww thats soo sad. Im glad I have parents to listen to me. I guess you should listen to people more often? Like, I dont think im a good listener?!... Wow, I just leart a life-lesson through a forum... wow... :happysad:
It's amazing what you can learn on the internets. :thumbsup:

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
tl:dr

:p

Edit: Oh come on, you all know it had to be done...

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
Laff... It was an amusing story, but I was thinking the same thing... "You might not find this story interesting if you aren't a good reader"