WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Your MacGyver moment

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
so I just came back from a business trip to get a job with a big old company with more money then they know what to do with. In the process they ask you what your MacGyver moment is... that is, when you came up with some crazy shit to fix or repair something to get it to work. Me, while my ship was extremely low on money, and unable to get simple things like O-rings for the pnumatic tools, i made some by rolling electrical tape over itself in a long tube, fashioning the ends together and heating it round with a lighter... just to get the fuckin tools working..

So what's your MacGyver moment?

at first i was tempted to post something stupid like i broke my key off in the door lock to my house so i crawled through the window and unlocked the door but that would be juvenile and smart ass. you aren't someone i see posting useless pointles shit so i will give an honest answer.

i was coming home from a visit in colorado and driving through kansas. it was night and apparently my headlights had gone out. didn't know cause i have some kick ass bright driving lights but anyway i got pulled over and the state trooper was like you can't drive just on driving lights so unless you can get your headlights working i can't let you leave. this of course after he tried giving me a ticket for not having my headlights on and i was able to explain. anyway. i ended up taking the bulbs for the headlights out and electrical taping the bulbs from the driving lights in there place. the illumination was a little brighter than he liked but understood i still needed to drive all the way to kentucky so he let me go. it is funny how electrical tapes works well for so much.

A friend of mine at work had locked her keys in her car.
I took off her antenna and bent the top. (it was a piece of crap anyway) Then I peeled up the gasket at the base of the window so I could get the antenna in. I got the hook around the rod for the door lock, pulled it up, and unlocked the door. yay

hehehehehehe the only moment i ever had was finding a new bottle when all the booze ran out! yup you know it, words of wisdom from the local drunk, always put a bottle in your panty drawer, so you never have to run out! hehehehehe and makes your panties irrisistable(sp?) to boyz.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Too many to list...

-Alchohol bath to repair $170 of computer equipment, worked fine, running A-1 super for a few weeks now in my main box

-Arctic Silver 5 cooling gel to fix the severely damaged video processing cooling system in a Sega 32X. Framerates doubled and Knuckles' Chaotix stopped freezing.

-Clipped IDE wire + hot glue to allow a motherboards CMOS battery to give a positive charge to the broken positive terminal

I have more but can't remember them ATM...

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
imagine this, a 17 year old climbing through a tiny bathroom window, 6 feet in the air, then falling gracefuly into the bathtub......

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
YUCK FOU!!! said:
imagine this, a 17 year old climbing through a tiny bathroom window, 6 feet in the air, then falling gracefuly into the bathtub......
thats not very macgyver like as much as maybe bad ninja?

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
I feel like MacGyver whenever there's a long line at the dining hall doors and I'm the only one who thinks to use the doorstop instead of leaning against the door.

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
Darklight said:
thats not very macgyver like as much as maybe bad ninja?
okay then, this is where i tell you the only time ive heard of magiver is on the simpsons?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Hmmm, I must have missed this thread.

Well, after a weekend of drunken debauchery with my old college roomates, (I failed out and went back the following year to visit and brought along 2 other vehicles full of people), we're driving/racing back home. After a couple of pull offs, letting the others pass, and then catching back up, a buddy of mine, isn't seen for about 30 minutes.

He calls on a cell, and proceeds to tellme he broke his gas pedal...

That's right folks. He broke his gas pedal. Snapped it clean off of the floor. So, we're on a turn off next to the highway, he's been drinking all the way home, and is pretty lit. We can't exactly call a towtruck, we're broke, it's Sunday, and we're and hour and 30 minutes away from home. So what do we have to fix it with? Nothing. Not a damn thing.

We ended up finding a beer coozey, a fork, and a nail.

Originally I was going to use the nail to secure the pedal back onto the floorboard, but that was soon scrapped because there wasn't a hole to put said nail into.
But, the throttle cable was still there, and had a little plastic thingummy on the end of it. I pulled the string out of the top of the coozey, and tied it to the throttle cable, and tied the fork to the other end of the string for a "handle". With this configuration, my buddy was able to pull on the string instead of pressing on the pedal. Which, is kinda difficult since he had to pull the string with his right hand, and shift with his right hand too.

A few days later, before he re-welded the pedal to the floor, he had put a belt onto the coozey string so he could pull it with his left hand.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
BrIONwoshMunky said:
Hmmm, I must have missed this thread.

Well, after a weekend of drunken debauchery with my old college roomates, (I failed out and went back the following year to visit and brought along 2 other vehicles full of people), we're driving/racing back home. After a couple of pull offs, letting the others pass, and then catching back up, a buddy of mine, isn't seen for about 30 minutes.

He calls on a cell, and proceeds to tellme he broke his gas pedal...

That's right folks. He broke his gas pedal. Snapped it clean off of the floor. So, we're on a turn off next to the highway, he's been drinking all the way home, and is pretty lit. We can't exactly call a towtruck, we're broke, it's Sunday, and we're and hour and 30 minutes away from home. So what do we have to fix it with? Nothing. Not a damn thing.

We ended up finding a beer coozey, a fork, and a nail.

Originally I was going to use the nail to secure the pedal back onto the floorboard, but that was soon scrapped because there wasn't a hole to put said nail into.
But, the throttle cable was still there, and had a little plastic thingummy on the end of it. I pulled the string out of the top of the coozey, and tied it to the throttle cable, and tied the fork to the other end of the string for a "handle". With this configuration, my buddy was able to pull on the string instead of pressing on the pedal. Which, is kinda difficult since he had to pull the string with his right hand, and shift with his right hand too.

A few days later, before he re-welded the pedal to the floor, he had put a belt onto the coozey string so he could pull it with his left hand.
Now thats a macgyver moment!

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Oh yeah, and the static that built up in the coozey string, acted like a fuse, and when conducted to the fork, it acted like an igniter, thusly, turning the whole thing into a crude bomb detonation device. This could be rather helpful if you wanted to kill someone who had broken off their gas pedal, and tied a coozey string to the throttle cable, and then secured the other end to a fork, and also who's cab was full of an explosive material. Not really, but could MacGuyver really make a bomb with a tomato and a toothpick?