WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines YouTube removes ads from InfoWars’ Alex Jones channel but says it has no plans to delete it

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
As YouTube continues in its efforts to crack down harder on content that violates its terms of usage and promotes offensive and/or misleading content, it’s found itself in the fake news crossfire this weekend.

After a video and some advertisers were removed from YouTube channels controlled by Alex Jones, the far-right commentator best known for hosting the video show InfoWars, Jones announced yesterday that YouTube would be freezing and deleting his YouTube channel today, Sunday — but the claim was false, according to YouTube.

“The Alex Jones channel with billions of views is frozen,” Jones wrote on Twitter. “We have been told it will be deleted tomorrow and all 33 thousands [sic] videos will be erased.” But according to a spokesperson from YouTube responding to our request for comment, the site at present has no plans to delete Alex Jones channel or erase his videos on Sunday, March 4.

Conveniently, Jones used the Tweet to promote (what else?) a new YouTube channel to show off its “censored” content videos. There’s nothing like a scandal when you’re InfoWars.

Jones’s YouTube account is one of the biggest of several tied to the InfoWars’ brand, with nearly 2.3 million subscribers and millions of views across hundreds of videos — a mix of right-leaning opinion pieces and sensationalised, tabloid-style reports that fan the flames of conservative discontent.

YouTube’s procedure for terminating an account involves a number of steps before an account gets completely taken down, starting with three “strikes” for terms of service violations and following an appeals process by the account holder.

While Alex Jones’s account is still alive and kicking, it is not in completely good standing.

It had one strike against it a couple of weeks ago, when YouTube removed a video from the channel that accused a student from Marjory Stoneman Douglas, who had appeared in the media speaking about gun control, of being a ‘crisis actor’ in the wake of the shooting at the school — he isn’t. This counted as a first strike in YouTube’s termination procedure.

Then in recent days, YouTube confirmed to us that it had notified Jones about advertisers asking to be removed from Jones’ various channels — following an investigation by CNN into how the videos get monetized. It’s not clear if this is also counted as a strike against the channel (we’re asking).

YouTube has attracted negative publicity in recent months for what some believe to be a position that has been too laissez-faire when it comes to questionable videos on its platform. Critics believe the company’s motives of driving more traffic and advertising, and encouraging more rather than less activity on the site, combined with not-fit-for-purpose moderation against iffy content, have all contributed to a cess pool effect on the platform.

However, YouTube has responded with a vow to improve how it handles the problem — acknowledging the part the site plays to enable it — with better enforcement, and that is what we are seeing unfolding in YouTube’s scuffle with InfoWars.

The controversy with InfoWars and Alex Jones specifically relates to the trend of fake news and how it’s portrayed as fact alongside more accurate content. It’s a particularly acute problem on platforms like YouTube and Facebook, which play host to thousands of media organizations that range from junk merchants to legitimate news outlets.

It’s not clear how much InfoWars makes off YouTube advertising versus other revenue streams — which, like other social-media based personalities, also includes a strong merchandising track. In the case of InfoWars, it’s a sizeable online store selling everything for the right-leaning individual who believes the world is falling apart and that InfoWars has the solutions to fix it, or at least ride out the storm: alternative medicinal remedies, coffee (“Wake up, America” is the slogan), body armor, water filters, Trump gear and more.

Taking down a video and removing some advertisers may not, therefore, hit InfoWars’ bottom line, but they are still strong symbolic gestures that could undermine the channel’s credibility with mainstream viewers, and potentially offer an increment of less traffic to other parts of the machine (such as that store).

We’ve seen YouTube try to tackle the content controversy by turning other screws on offending channels. It has taken steps to remove monetising and discoverability features on channels, as it recently did with vlogger Logan Paul. And it has banned some sites outright.

Source: TechCrunch

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
No. Fuck the deliberate liars and profiteers known as InfoWars.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
No shit. It's not bad enough Alex Jones pedals that crap. What's worse is he does it for the money.

ThisIsBananas

Nature Owl
Premium
No. Fuck the deliberate liars and profiteers known as InfoWars.
No shit. It's not bad enough Alex Jones pedals that crap. What's worse is he does it for the money.

I know that Alex Jones is full of shit, but I don't like the idea of people being booted off of Youtube because people don't like what they have to say.

Demonitization isn't censorship lol.

His channel was almost deleted, and demonitization is just pushing people to leave Youtube after they made money off it. Extra shitty when other video sites are smaller and Youtube is nearly the whole market. I wish everybody would just start using D.tube.

Jung

???
Premium
His channel was almost deleted, and demonitization is just pushing people to leave Youtube after they made money off it. Extra shitty when other video sites are smaller and Youtube is nearly the whole market. I wish everybody would just start using D.tube.
Monetization is not speech. If this channel weren't as high profile as it is it would've simply been deleted. A guy I used to watch had this happen for violating their terms. The simple fact here is that nobody has a right to make money off of their platform. People get demonetized for everything from cursing too much to portraying drug use and other inane shit. The people providing those ad dollars still have say, you know?

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
If InfoWars doesnt want to follow the rules, they're free to use their own platform.

Now if only youtube could do something about the demonization! :p

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
If only The Ring was real. Replace all the Alex Jones videos, flat Earth, etc. with The Ring. In seven days the world would be a better place.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Wow I never realized how brain dead many people here are, lol. You really are a bunch of liberals aren't you?

Yes, youtube is fucking with Alex and thousands of others in their mad censorship campaign against anyone who doesn't tow the propaganda lies.

That so many of you truly believe Infowars is a bunch of liars and profiteers when you literally have not anything to stand on other than listening to some Shit propaganda like whatever lying new world order rag you love.

How does a business work? Does it need to make money to go? Would it be better to beg for donations than sell useful shit to people? So Alex is a profiteer for not getting free propaganda money from the CIA and others to run like the laughable liars at CNN, FOX, NYT, Huffington Post, Etc. Etc. So if he tries to make money to support a business he's Evil! This is America! You can't own a business or make money! LOL, Fuck you.

As far as lying, let's see it. Make your case. I can put up hundreds of "ridiculous statements" Infowars has said that are NOW ADMITTED. Let's see any of you come up with two "lies" Alex has been caught in? Just two vs. my hundreds. I laugh at your arrogance now, because I remember being like that too.

Infowars is the most honest news this country has EVER had, and it sounds crazy BECAUSE THEY'VE BEEN LYING TO YOU ABOUT NEARLY EVERYTHING EVERY DAY OF YOUR LIFE. So the Truth sounds absurd because you have no knowledge.

Well kids buckle up, because Infowars IS THE NEWS NOW. When you grow up, come join us. We're actually interested in the Truth, no matter how ugly she is. Fairy tales have to be found elsewhere.

------------------------------

Waiting Brit. Two lies they haven't gone on the show immediately after and said "That was wrong" about. I roll my eyes at the insane way you think too.

https://www.good.is/articles/six-conspiracy-theories-that-are-true

https://www.ciaagentedu.org/2017/12/five-times-cia-conspiracy-theories-turned-out-to-be-true/

https://www.indy100.com/article/12-...ia-martin-luther-king-lance-armstrong-8064581

https://www.criminaljusticedegreehub.com/conspiracy-theories/

See folks, it ISN'T that horrible people aren't doing horrible things they don't want you to know about, because they are. It's their control of the media and education for so very long that let's them continue to do these things. They even document them, but they don't release the records until everyone involved dies or cannot be held responsible, THEN they release it and it's so long ago people stop caring.

I mean every single soldier who died in the Viet Nam war died because of AN ADMITTED FALSE FLAG. They MADE IT UP, and then sent people in to die. Like the Gulf, like ALL OF THEM. All wars are baker wars.

How do you know, what you know? That's a valid question for any thinking being.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
No worries. Eventually a self respecting conservative, sick of being associated with this heap of shit will blow his head off.

ThisIsBananas

Nature Owl
Premium
People are associating Alex Jones with being a conservative? People are really reaching to hate on the conservatives, because Alex Jones used to only be known as a conspiracy theorist.

Anybody who is rooting for people losing monetization on Youtube is making the website a worse place than it already has. If you want the website to improve, you have to provide feedback, and people who are demanding channels be monetized just want the website to be better.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
People are associating Alex Jones with being a conservative? People are really reaching to hate on the conservatives, because Alex Jones used to only be known as a conspiracy theorist.

Anybody who is rooting for people losing monetization on Youtube is making the website a worse place than it already has. If you want the website to improve, you have to provide feedback, and people who are demanding channels be monetized just want the website to be better.
I respect your opinion. But I counter it. One could argue that with the presence of monetisation as a carrot, content providers and vlogers will work harder. But all that seems to have done is spawn a raft of idiotic Kardashian clones and shocktards. They're going for nothing but views, likes and subscribes. Nothing different than TV with the load of reality shows that pander to the lowest form of entertainment consumers, which is sadly the majority of viewers. I honestly don't know the ratio of crap vs quality on YouTube these days. But quality is surely hard to find since monetisation.

ThisIsBananas

Nature Owl
Premium
I respect your opinion. But I counter it. One could argue that with the presence of monetisation as a carrot, content providers and vlogers will work harder. But all that seems to have done is spawn a raft of idiotic Kardashian clones and shocktards. They're going for nothing but views, likes and subscribes. Nothing different than TV with the load of reality shows that pander to the lowest form of entertainment consumers, which is sadly the majority of viewers. I honestly don't know the ratio of crap vs quality on YouTube these days. But quality is surely hard to find since monetisation.
There is plenty of good demonetized content. You just gotta stay away from the vlog channels.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
Alex Jones and Infowars do little more than shout about problems but offer zero resolve. I stopped listening to his BS long ago.

Snopes and Dr Phil, FTW!!

ThisIsBananas

Nature Owl
Premium
Dr Phil is a jackass. I hate the way he talks down to people, even if his guests are frequently idiots.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
Jerry Springer used to be a reputable voice for sound advice. I see Phil-do heading in the same direction and being indexed for reliability of information just as Snopes has.

...and Infowars.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Yup. Alex Jones has the freedom to spread his drivel. He also has the freedom to condemn YouTube demonetization. YouTube has the freedom to demonitize him. And you have the freedom to dislike it.

Everyone be freedoming all over the place.

I think someone might have freedomed right in your eye.